level 1/2 certification what kit to get ?

As for the waiver - isn't that what Fresno and Black Rock are for?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I still think you could do it with the addition of a 75mm mount to a Bruiser with no other mods. No glass, no dual deployment (just somewhere to hide electronics for that L3 shot), etc..

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Yes, I built a carbon fiber Velociraptor that could fly on an H242T, all the way to M3000. Pics below:

Mike Fisher Binder Design

Reply to
Mfreptiles

Exactly what I was thinking. Something along the lines of a Dynacom Scorpion or a Hawk Mountain kit.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
nedtovak

Kurt Maybe so........It would need to weigh around 10lbs for the I, though and at that weight, I think even the baby M would take it through Mach (I just got a new computer and haven't got any of the rocket programs up yet:-). Also, if it survived Mach, the rocket would still go somewhere over 15,000 ft. Along with the waiver, you would need a LARGE recovery area to bring down an apogee deployment from the height this one will go.......and NO wind:-)! I watched Al Swackhammer try to push a stock LOC rocket through Mach once. GREATEST shread I ever saw!!!!!!! Parts were raining down for 5 minutes! Most were like confettee(sp?). Hundreds of them!! Why don't you give it a try, though...... I'd love to see the film:-).

Lloyd

Reply to
Actionxprs

PE makes nice kits. Building an Extreme Performer DSD right now. Great L2 kit with electronics.

Seriously though I feel having a separate kit for L1 and L2 is a good idea. In the PE line try the 4" Fat Boy with a 29mm mount for L1. I had Roy make one for me to burn some H128's in. Great flyer on the H128.

If using the traditional H128/H123 for L1 and a J350 for L2 ; there is a pretty wide range in the performance. Using a larger I class motor and the J350 would probably work. Of course you would need a larger rocket to make it work without electronics. The stock LOC Warloc would be a good candidate.

Al

Reply to
Al Sterner

I have a 5.5 inch upscale EZI that I launch on a core I435 and then airstart 3 29mm outboards at burnout. It gets high enough on just the I for a safe flight and it weighs 22-23 pounds at liftoff.

An I-435 has definitely "got grunt".

With the weight set to 15 lbs. and using the M1315, Wrasp shows ~6500 feet and .91 mach (which, in the real world, means it won't get CLOSE to mach). Pop a Gwiz standard in the nosecone and launch that puppy. Looks very doable to me.

Changing the cd to .4 from .6 yields ~8k and .95 mach. Again, quite doable, just a tad bit more exciting.

Anyone have the motor file for the new AMW loads? Would like to see what the knobby 1860 shows.

Hmmm, I still have the Rocketryonline.com recovery system test mule Bruiser. Might have to dig out that stock motor mount and put a 75mm in there just to see what happens...

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Kurt I just got WRASP up again and...... you're right! I was extrapolating numbers in my head, from a 4 inch rocket. I forgot to take into account the added drag of the 7.5 inch tube. MAJOR differences:-)! It sure does look like the Bruiser could do it all. I'd still want a pretty decent size field though, for an apogee deployment from 6500 feet........and NO wind:-)! I'd also still have some concerns about a stock Bruiser getting to .9 Mach. I glass all my rockets now and the two Bruiser EXPs that I have would be way too heavy for an I (and only one would take the 3 inch motor anyway:-). If you decide to try this..........I'd be interested in the results. Maybe even at LDRS???? We've got the waiver and the field would support the recovery.........as long as the wind cooperated:-). Dig that stock motor tube out! I've got an altimeter bay that could be added by drilling 3 holes in the side of the tube, if you didn't want to use the one in the nosecone. An I, a K and an M. Maybe we can get one of the motor companies to donate an M for the sake of "testing":-).

Lloyd

Reply to
Actionxprs

We could actually get real lazy and just use a PRM type device...save us some shoe leather. I think that Loc tubing would be fine.

If you have read some of the parachute reviews on Rocketryonline, you have probably seen the rocket. It is one UGLY purple and black Bruiser (unless Darrel is reading, in which case "it's a LOVELY rocket...my absolute favorite" ;-)

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Upon reading all of the above ideas on this subject, I thought I'd add my in what I did for my level 3 project. This just might be usable for what the man wants to do. I built my rocket with the intent to be able to cert for level 3 and then be able to fly it on smaller less expensive motors. Therefore I built a 5.5" diameter rocket 123" long rocket, (Marvin), with a forward and aft ballast bay in the rocket. The aft bay is located just above the motor mount and the forward bay is in the nosecone. I have room to split up to 25lbs of extra weight between the two bays of the rocket. I am sorry to say that it took two attempts to achieve my level 3, but in both cases I used an AMW M1850 GG. Also, because of poor cloud conditions, I used all 25 lbs of extra weight to get to 3000' each time. The reason I failed the first attempt wasn't because of the weight, it was because I failed to use a deployment bag for the main. And even though the rocket hit the ground with just the drogue deployed, I had only 15 minutes of shop repair to get it flying again. ( I can thank Lloyd's advice on building it strong for that.) By the way, the first attempt was done on the Geneseo field, the successful flight was done at NSL 2003.

Hope this helps,

Mike Dutch NAR 76705 TRA 7965 Level 3

Reply to
mdrocket