level 1/2 certification what kit to get ?

Concur.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I did my L1 with a PML Intruder and an Aerotech H128. Flawless. Did my L2 with a PML 4" Amraam and a Pro38 J300? - woooops. In my excitement I put the J300 into my Intruder and flew that. Think it went about 8K and came down a mile downrange. Recovered it the next day for my L2 certification. Then put a J300 in the Amraam4 and flew that. Much less exciting to say the least. The PML Quantum tubing is great - I fly mine naked. From now on I am inclined to go with fibreglass though - that is to say, fibreglass tubing. Makes for more rugged rockets. Start with the PML or LOC kits.... I am a great PML fan. Murray

Reply to
M Lampert

Kurt Like I said....Level 1 on an "I" and Level 2 on a "J":-). The Bruiser works great, too. I just prefer the "Half a Bruiser" (better known as the Warloc:-). Less area need to pressurize for ejection, smaller chute needed and cross winds aren't as much of a factor. Cheaper, too:-).

Lloyd

Reply to
Actionxprs

Agree - I plan to cert L1 this next summer using my PML Callisto (with 38mm motor mount-I have 29mm adapter). Will probably use the H128 for my L1. Seems like a popular more for L1 cert according to this NG. Also, I am in process of building a Binder Design THUG. Has anyone tried to Cert with that beast? Looks like it would be east to build different payload bays for it. Keep em flying Tom B.

Reply to
TomNavyRet

Ho ho ho...don't you mean Level one on a "H"? You can fly a Bruiser on an H. Really. Honest. Seriously.

Back to reality, the Bruiser on the I435 is a pretty cool flight. About like a Loc IV on a H128. Just bigger.

Launched my Warlock one time and used an AT K700. Went ~4000 feet or so. Then I retired it to the living room. Need to build another to fly.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Although I didn't cert with it, I have launched one quite a few times. Glassed mine with one wrap of 4 ounce. Still flies too high to launch in much wind, as I ended up chasing it once through the cotton patch after a flight on a H123.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

sounds like a plan

I have a Callisto to build myself. I'm thinking about letting my kids paint it anyway they want :)

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Now you've done it...

Bob Kaplow

Kurt Bruiser on an H? Level 1 Cert on same? Why not? If the rocket slides 5 feet up the rail and then settles back on the pad......... it's a safe recovery....... Isn't it? Works for me:-)! Launched my glassed Warloc on a K700, too. You're right.......really cool flight! I thought I'd brought my R12 with me but it turned out to be the R14 (both are the same color). The rocket stayed in the air for most of the rest of the launch. No wind but LOTS of thermals:-). My best Warloc flight however, was on 3 J-350's. One lit and got it clear of the rail. About half way through the loop the second one lit and took it through the second loop. Third motor never lit. It hit the ground starting to climb into it's third loop. Ripped a .200 G10 fin about half way up the root and split the front of the body tube for about 4 inches. I was able to instant glue the body tear and pound the G10 fin back almost into it's original possition. Lots of epoxy and sanding later, it almost looks like new! One fin IS a little crooked, though:-). I now call it "The Looped Warloc":-). Looked great on film! Have to come up with a better ignighter system for clusters, though. An E - match and Devil Wick with a bit of BP should do the trick:-)!

Lloyd

Reply to
Actionxprs

Yes, LOTS. It is a favorite L1 cert rocket in the pacific northwest.

Mike Fisher Binder Design

Mfreptiles

Mike: Kewl - I live in the (snowy) Pacific Northwest (Yakima) and this summer my son and I are planning on trying to make one of the Blue Mountain Rocketeers launches in Dayton, Wa. Rumor has it that you guys hang out in that area . Not sure if I want to use the launch lug or go with rail buttons on the THUG though. Comments?

Tom B. "Born To Fish - Forced To Work!!!"

Reply to
TomNavyRet

Personally,

Again, he's in Canada. L1 is H and L2 is I. He needs a H-I rocket, not a H-J rocket.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Binford

Tom Than we are supposed to also assume that Mike is NOT planning on doing his Certs with NAR or Tripoli? I'm not familar with the CAR Cert Levels but there are certainly many rockets that will fly well on H and I motors. The difference between a big H and a small I is only around 25%. Most rockets wouldn't see much of a difference. The difference between a G-80 and an I-284 is much more considerable. Almost 400%. Going from an H-128 to a J-350 gets you almost the same range. My point is that there are almost no rockets that will fly well using 3 different motor classes (at least without dual deployment and a good waiver:-). If you only have 2 motor classes to be concerned with......there are many choices:-).

Lloyd

Reply to
Actionxprs

Murray Remember that fiberglass tubes burn, too. If you are going to continue burnning up your rockets........you may want to go with Kevlar. Wait! Isn't that big V-2 of yours Kevlar? Ah, NOW I understand.........Not for the strength:-)!

Lloyd

Reply to
Actionxprs

I've wondered if it's at all possible to do a rocket that would do all 3 (NAR/TRA) levels... i.e., something that could get a "safe minimum" flight out of an I435 and survive a baby M. (That would be an interesting challenge, I think.)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

That's the spirit! Just use 20 feet of rail to eliminate all chances of poor recovery.

Mine has a chute compartment in the nosecone. I used a R7 for a drogue (I know, way too big, but just in case the dual deployment failed I didn't want it to hit too hard) and either a R12 or R14 for the main. That Warloc weighed ~23 lbs. prepped.

Cluster fun. Can't be beat! Just don't try to talk about ignitor methods for clusters around these parts...probably a safety code violation, you know. (wink wink nudge nudge know what I mean)

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

I beg to differ. I've flown my THOY Hornet (similar to a Graduator or Initiator) on FIVE different motor classes, from D13 reload, numerous E, F, and G SU and RMS, to H238. And it's built 100% with yellow glue, not a drop of Epoxy.

Bob Kaplow

Bruiser with a 75mm mount. And a waiver that will stand it.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Dave I think it's possible.........but there would have to be some considerations. The rocket would have to be both lite and strong. It would have to use dual deployment and the waiver would have to be high for the later flights:-). I figure something around 8 to 10 lbs, 4"dia with a 3 inch mount and around 60 to

70 inches long. Length and mount for the M1315, 4" dia for through the wall fins, 8 to 10 lbs weight for the I435 and a HIGH waiver for the M. Since it would probably go through Mach..... carbon fiber would be nice. The I should get it to around 1000 ft so apogee deployment would work for Level 1. It sure would make an interesting project!

Lloyd

Reply to
Actionxprs

Bob On the smaller rockets, this is pretty easy to do. There's not that much difference in the motor classes. Building a rocket that can fly from an A to an E is easy. Building one that can fly from an H to an L, or an I to an M is quite a different process:-)! As I mentioned in an earlier post......it CAN be done but would need specialized materials and construction techniques plus a really high waiver:-).

Lloyd

Reply to
Actionxprs