Level III or bust! Project now under way....

December 1st, 2003

In case anyone is interested in taking a look, my Level III project is now under construction. It's a dual deploy 10" Bullpup, 9'1" tall, estimated 75 lbs with motor (M1315W) with dual FC-877's for electronics on a 17 ft milspec cargo chute.

I am doing all the TAP documentation online at

I expect to launch in January or Feb 2003. with special thanks to Andy at Skunkworks Rocketry (the best damn kits around!)

Wish me luck!

Mike Luna NAR & TRA L2

Reply to
Mike Luna

Mike Luna wrote:

Reply to
RayDunakin

Here is the link to their homepage.

Jason Andersen

January or Feb 2003.

Too late !!!

with special thanks to Andy at

good luck !

Reply to
John Karpich

That's an awesome project, Mike.

One thing I noticed in your TAP data is that you list a thrust to weigth ratio of 10.6.

With a liftoff weigth of 75 pounds and an M1315, you will be more around 4:1. With that in mind, just make sure your launch rail is plenty long and you should have a beautiful, slow liftoff. On the other hand, if you expect windy conditions or if you really want that high of thrust to weight ratio, you can go with an M2400 or an AMW motor. Check with your TAP advisor.

Good luck!

Claude TRA 09540 L3

Reply to
Claude Paquin

Thanks!

Man... 500lb's of thrust and I cant divide by 75... I was up a bit too late that night! :) Thanks for the heads up!. I'm getting the reload in trade so I need to stick to the M1315W. If any good souls in AZ have a RMS 75/6400 case and closures just laying around collecting dust, I would sure like to borrow it for about 45 minutes in Jan or Feb! That would same me some money from this bottomless pit of a L3 project!

Let me know! snipped-for-privacy@mikeluna.com

Reply to
Mike Luna

As Claude said, your motor choice might be pushing the limit. Be sure to use a long rail. In checking the data from Thrustcurve.org the M1315 has a

599lb peak with and ave. thrust of 283lbs. For average thrust you'll only have a factor of 3.77 to 1 at 75lbs, low enough to be concerned about.

In addition to that, with motors that have been produced by Ellis, all the flights that we, our club, have flown on them from I's through M's, they all come in around 20% lower on altitude which might be attributed to just being made in different conditions, but another concern depending on what run of motor you might be getting.

It might be good to consider using an AMW M2500 GG for your flight instead just for a safety factor and still be able to use the 75mm mount. Just a thought anyway.

I did my L3 at LDRS 22 this last summer. Was 5.25" dia and was 51lbs loaded at lift-off. Did ~8,300' on an M1315. Was a lot of fun and successful to boot :)

Good luck, and remember to take a deep breath, say a prayer to the rocket gods, and double check your list for everything on prep :)

-Boomer

Reply to
Boomer

Mine is bigger than yours is. Nanny nanny boo boo...

Looks like SSS or AHPRA will have two L3 flights in January or February 2004

We can still share a hardware set if you like.

Reply to
Mark Saunders

Mike,

You can use mine. We may need to do a quick clean job on the hardware after your flight, because I going L3, too in Jan or Feb 2004.

Reply to
Mark Saunders

Yeah.... but mines thicker!!! :)

Mike Luna

Reply to
Mike Luna

So I guess we see whose can go the distance! ;-)

Reply to
Mark Saunders

Also the place to get pRASP for your Palm compatible ...

Bob Kaplow