LOC SITE NEEDS CRITIQUE

You are about the hundredth person to suggest it. Unfortunately I suspect 100% of the target market has given me feedback. :)

I have sold "Tripoli Politics Issues" for years (listed in Books in Print) but sales have been less than brisk.

Jerry

Frenzy fad?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Thanks for the positive feedback. It is rare on rmr.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

good for you. the sooner pay pal goes away the better.

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

fix your DNS records.

returns

Directory Listing Denied This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

but

works.

so you need to redirect "locprecision.com" to "

"

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

I prefer credit cards myself. I can dispute a charge and Federal law gives me protection. I get cash back for all my purchases. I like that.

I have paypal that charges to a credit card so I can buy th> snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Reply to
Alex Mericas

That is what you ask of every vendor you buy from with Paypal. Further when you do exercise your rights under federal law to dispute the charge the vendor has the money yanked from his account in under a minute with no recourse. Whether or not you are right, you have returned the goods, or anything else.

And if you intentionally screw the vendor (rampant on the internet), Paypal does not care and since they are the "merchant" for credit card purposes, they have washed their hands of it the moment you reverse the charge, and the only recourse of the vendor is to sue you locally in your own county.

Paypal sucks hard.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

webmaster on crack again ;)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

more likely the hosting company but the webmaster should have checked this, first thing.

... along with a port scan or nmap or whatever.. but that's not my job here.

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

Finally you can take a break and fly a rocket!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Likely it's in the webserver configuration. I'm not sure what software the LOC site is running, but in IIS, you have to indicate which host headers get to which site.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

You know the ironic side of this discussion, is that the guy that started Paypal is now into rocketry big time, starting up a company and spending millions of dollards to do satellite launching for companies.

-Boomer

Reply to
Boomer

That's my feeling too. I like Paypal, and use it all the time. It's the only way for very small businesses to accept payments by credit card. But I wouldn't allow ANY company to have direct access to my bank account.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Yahoo Pay Direct.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I tried a shrink once ... she said my defense mechanisms were too sophisticated. So I did Rolfing instead. Ten excruciating sessions, and in the end cried for 20 minutes straight .. after not having so much as dampened an eyelid since childhood

now I often cry reading childrens books [like The Little Prince, when the Fox described what it meant to be 'tamed', and the Prince had a realization about his Rose]. My kids say I "sound like a giant crying".

infinitely more effective than therapy, for those with sophisticated defense mechanisms ;o)

see

for more information on Rolfing see
for information on the single most powerful experience of my life

- iz

Jerry Irv> My shrink says I am "too open and trusting" and invite predators.

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Barry,

You asked for it, so here's my $0.02?

  1. You need more photos of the products. I don't mean just photos showing the completed rocket but detail images that show the various features of the products. Ideally the detail images would have other objects in the shot that display the scale of the objects. In my opinion this is the one of the biggest problems with a lot of commercial web sites out there. When I shop online I normally skip web sites that don't have images of the products they're trying to sell.
  2. You need more detailed information on the products. This goes hand-in-hand with #1. For instance, does the 3" Black Brant X kit come with phenolic tubes or paper? Can I order the kit with a different motor mount? Does it come with any decals? Etc, etc.. The more I know about a product the more inclined I'll be to purchase it. Your electronics page is a good (bad) example. I couldn't find any information at all on any of the items. This may not be a problem for someone who already has a lot of experience with rocket electronics, but in that case they probably already own the electronics.
  3. Your home page could use a bit more "punch." I don't mean you should load it up with a lot of bandwidth intensive animations and images (for God's sake, no Shockwave or anything that requires downloading software)?just add a little style and color. For instance, you might try adding some borders around the images. This is just my opinion, but I think a visually appealing web site may be more lucrative.
  4. You should display more information about the company somewhere, probably on the home page. For instance, the company's return policy, how long it's been around, any awards the company has received, info about any business partners or associations the company is affiliated with, yada., yada.. This kind of stuff helps the customer feel safer about sending you their hard earned money. It lets them know you're not some fly-by-night bozos that are going to take the money and run.

That's all I can come up with for now. I don't have time to peruse the entire site so finding bad links and stuff like that is for someone else to do. If you have the manpower it might be a good idea to have someone do a full QA run through the works.

Best of luck!

Regards, Michael Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

excellent comments, Michael. I concur!

- iz

Michael Newt < some very good advice >

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

A quick search turns up:

really nice stories about paypal freezing accounts for companies.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I have always thought the same thing. But, as a photographer, I thought my opinion may have been slightly biased. ;)

Websites that show no, or few photos of their products don't come off as being very professional to me. Not that I am saying that about the LOC site. They have ALOT of photos, way more many others have.

-Rich

Michael Newt>

Reply to
Rich Pitzeruse

while I agree more photos are probably better, all the photos in the catalog are on the website.

so, would you place an order from the catalog?

heck, when we were kids we all ordered some junk from Johnson Smith based on scratchy B&W drawings !!

Rich Pitzeruse wrote:

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

And it's the same with American Science and Surplus, even now!

tah

Reply to
hiltyt