Merlin Missile Solutions Announces Availability of Type IV Explosives Storage Magazine

Batavia, Ohio ? Merlin Missile Solutions Announces Availability of Type IV Explosives Storage Magazine

November 21, 2003

Merlin Missile Solutions, a provider of "Unique Solutions for High Performance Rocketry", announces the availability of a Type 4 Explosives Storage Magazine.

According to Lance Knoechel, president of Merlin Missile Solutions, "There is a great deal of frustration over the attainment of a BATF explosives license. We offer a solution that will help reduce the complications surrounding a significant area of compliance. The storage magazine meets or exceeds current BATF regulations and specifications for a type 4 portable magazine: it is constructed of metal, lined with spark proof material, and has two locks to secure the lid. The magazine is large enough to hold at least 50 pounds of motor propellant and is approved for use in Canada."

The standard model comes with four legs, painted, and ready to use. Optional heavy-duty wheels are also available.

Additional information can be found on the Merlin Missile Solutions web site at

Lance Knoechel

Based on the photo, the box appears to manufactured by Mountain State Manufacturing. (Also sold by Magnum.) I purchased a box from Magnum a few years ago. When I submitted the box's specs to the ATF Public Safety Branch along with a storage variance request I was informed that the locks did not meet ATF requirements. Yes, I know field offices and inspectors have approved the box. MSM is now (within the last three weeks) selling replacement locks for previously sold boxes and using a new lock in newly manufactured boxes.

Those who purchased the box from Magnum, Cabela or other company can purchase replacement locks from MSM (A.K.A

The replacement lock set cost me $8. I do not know at this time if the ATF will be happy with them.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Roth

27 CFR 555.141-a-8
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Are they 1/2" diameter?

:-(

Bob Kaplow

They don't have to be.

Joel. phx

Joel Corwith

They are mortise locks, not padlocks. Mortise locks have no size requirement. Odd, isn't it.

David

Nor,... any cylinder requirement. Even more bizarre.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith