ROL NEWS--Missile Works Announces Type 4 Storage Magazine

Missile Works Announces Type 4 Storage Magazine December 10, 2003 Web posted at: 9:57 PM EST

Estes Park, CO ( ROL Newswire ) -- Missile Works Corporation announces the availability of a new Type 4 Indoor Storage Magazine. The Altheria Type 4 Indoor Magazine/Hazardous Materials Storage Locker measures 40" L x 18" W x 18"H (interior). Professionally manufactured with 16 gauge steel and all welded construction, it also features (2) deadbolt style

5-tumbler mortise locks, 1/4" non-sparking plywood liner and a full length continuous hinge. The magazine has a high quality red powder coating and comes standard with 3" white lettering "EXPLOSIVES KEEP FIRE AWAY", but can also come without lettering or with an alternative 3" white lettering "FLAMMABLE KEEP FIRE AWAY". The magazine complies with NFPA 1127 and BATFE requirements. The magazine can also be shipped to anywhere in the Continental 48 states for a flat $35 charge.

Check out this new storage magazine at their website

. Navigate to the "Rocket Motors" product section for pictures and additional details.

Source: ROL Newswire Service

Reply to
ROL News

What NFPA 1127 requirements?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

4.19.2 Not more than 23 kg (50 lb) of net propellant weight

of high power rocket motors, motor reloading kits, or pyrotechnic

modules subject to the storage requirements of 27

CFR 55 shall be stored in a Type 3 or a Type 4 indoor magazine.

4.19.2.1 The indoor magazine shall be painted red, and the

top shall bear the following words in white letters at least

76 mm (3 in.) high:

EXPLOSIVES - KEEP FIRE AWAY

4.19.2.2 The indoor magazine shall not be located in residence.

4.19.2.3 The indoor magazine shall be permitted to be located

in a detached garage or outbuilding.

4.19.2.4 The indoor magazine shall be permitted to be located

in an attached garage in a single-family residence where

approved by the authority having jurisdiction and the Bureau

of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.

4.19.2.5 Pyrotechnic high power solid-propellant rocket motors,

motor reloading kits, modules, or any other solidpropellant

motor products that are exempt under 27 CFR 55

shall be stored in a recloseable, noncombustible container.

4.19.3 Large-quantity storage shall comply with both of the

following requirements:

(1) Quantities greater than 22.7 kg (50 lb) of net propellant

weight of high power rocket motors, motor reloading kits,

or pyrotechnic modules subject to the storage requirements

of 27 CFR 55 shall be stored in a Type 4 or greater

outdoor magazine.

(2) The Type 4 or greater magazine shall meet the distance

requirements in Table 4.19.3.

4.19.4 High power rocket motors, motor reloading kits, and

pyrotechnic modules shall be stored in accordance with all

applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, statutes,

and ordinances.

4.19.5 A high power rocket motor shall not be stored with an

ignition element installed.

Chapter 5 High Power Rocket Motor User

Certification

5.1 Sales Only to Certified Users. A high power rocket motor

or motor reloading kit shall be sold to, shipped to, stored by,

and used only by certified users.

5.2 User Permit Requirements. Where required by 27 CFR

55, a "User of Low Explosives Permit" shall be obtained prior

to both of the following:

(1) Acquisition by a certified user of a high power solidpropellant

rocket motor(s) or motor reloading kit(s) in a

state other than that in which the user resides

(2) Transportation by a certified user of a high power solidpropellant

rocket motor(s) or motor reloading kit(s) to a

state other than that in which the user resides

5.3 Maintenance of Sales Records.

5.3.1 High power rocket motor manufacturers, distributors,

and sellers shall maintain a list of those certified users to

whom they have sold high power rocket motors or motor reloading

kits that includes the following information:

(1) Name and address of the purchaser

(2) Name and address of the national user organization that

has certified the user

(3) Type and number of high power solid-propellant rocket

motors or motor reloading kits sold to the certified user

(4) Date of sale and shipment of high power rocket motors or

motor reloading kits to the certified user

5.3.2 The manufacturer, distributor, or seller shall make

available, on request, the records specified in 5.3.1 to any law

enforcement person or the authority having jurisdiction.

Reply to
Bullpup

Competing cites. Here's mine to eliminate yours:

From 27 CFR 55.11, "Propellant Actuated Device. Any tool or special mechanized device or gas generator system which is actuated by a propellant or which releases and directs work through a propellant charge."

This definition is what is referred to in 27 CFR 55.141(a)(8)

55.141 exemptions (a) (8) Gasoline, fertilizers, propellant actuated devices, or propellant actuated industrial tools manufactured, imported, or distributed for their intended purposes.

From this, it is commonly understood that as long as the PAD are manufactured, imported, or distributed for their intended purpose, they are exempt from treatment as explosives per 27 CFR and other laws. There is no size or volume limitation on what is exempted.

See

page 10 (page 62 of the "Orange Book")

  1. Who must meet storage requirements? All persons who store explosive materials must store them in conformity with the provisions of Subpart K of the regulations, unless the person or the materials are exempt from regulation. [18 U.S.C. 842(j), 845; 27 CFR 55.29, 55.141, 55.164,
55.201(a)]

Note the reference to 55.141.

Makes sense.

Competing cites. Here's mine to eliminate yours:

From 27 CFR 55.11, "Propellant Actuated Device. Any tool or special mechanized device or gas generator system which is actuated by a propellant or which releases and directs work through a propellant charge."

This definition is what is referred to in 27 CFR 55.141(a)(8)

55.141 exemptions (a) (8) Gasoline, fertilizers, propellant actuated devices, or propellant actuated industrial tools manufactured, imported, or distributed for their intended purposes.

From this, it is commonly understood that as long as the PAD are manufactured, imported, or distributed for their intended purpose, they are exempt from treatment as explosives per 27 CFR and other laws. There is no size or volume limitation on what is exempted.

See

page 10 (page 62 of the "Orange Book")

  1. Who must meet storage requirements? All persons who store explosive materials must store them in conformity with the provisions of Subpart K of the regulations, unless the person or the materials are exempt from regulation. [18 U.S.C. 842(j), 845; 27 CFR 55.29, 55.141, 55.164,
55.201(a)]

Note the reference to 55.141.

Competing cites. Here's mine to eliminate yours:

From 27 CFR 55.11, "Propellant Actuated Device. Any tool or special mechanized device or gas generator system which is actuated by a propellant or which releases and directs work through a propellant charge."

This definition is what is referred to in 27 CFR 55.141(a)(8)

55.141 exemptions (a) (8) Gasoline, fertilizers, propellant actuated devices, or propellant actuated industrial tools manufactured, imported, or distributed for their intended purposes.

From this, it is commonly understood that as long as the PAD are manufactured, imported, or distributed for their intended purpose, they are exempt from treatment as explosives per 27 CFR and other laws. There is no size or volume limitation on what is exempted.

See

page 10 (page 62 of the "Orange Book")

  1. Who must meet storage requirements? All persons who store explosive materials must store them in conformity with the provisions of Subpart K of the regulations, unless the person or the materials are exempt from regulation. [18 U.S.C. 842(j), 845; 27 CFR 55.29, 55.141, 55.164,
55.201(a)]

Note the reference to 55.141.

Done.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine
1127 references "high power rocket motors" ... 27 CFR 55.11 references PADs. High power rocket motors have to be stored in a Magazine, PADs don't. I use HPR motors, you use PADs. 27 CFR 55.11 is too gray for my taste.

Reply to
Geoff Huber

Un gray me.

How is this NOT what you ilegally have in your magazine?

And now the million dollar question. How do you feel about disagreeing with the attorneys of BOTH NAR and TRA?

Just Jerry with hard law cites.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Greenlee has a portable storage chest Model 1636 that sells for about $190 that sure looks like a magazine to me.... can anyone comment on this chest for use as a magazine - I would spray the inside with rubberized traction spray or glue some 1/8" plywood inside. Comments? http://198.247.193.8/wwwroot/greenlee/storage.pdfMurray

Reply to
M Lampert

27 CFR 555.141-a-8

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I'd probably buy one myself if the ATF allowed them.

The ATF does not allow them as magazines because Greenlee puts a sticker on every one that says they are not for use with explosives. They are probably perfectly fine for explosives, but I'm sure Greenlee doesn't want the liability.

Greenlee boxes are so popular that an ATF agent would probably recognize one even if you stripped the decals and repainted it a different color.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

MissileWorks has a Type 4 Indoor Storage Magazine for $250 at

but you can only use it legally to store non-exempt low explosives

- iz

Brian Elfert wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

per 27 CFR 555.141-a-8

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I don't see that as any sort of requirement in the orange book. Have you asked DC for a clarification?

Joel. phx

Besides, they're too expensive. Modify a pistol safe.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Do you have a cite for the this?

Joel. phx

That just says it's an explosive exempt from regulation, not that it's not an explosive. Why would it be illegal to store an exempt explosive?

Reply to
Joel Corwith

This has been cited before but I admit I do not have that particular cite on my site because a non-moron would not make it an issue.

Do you want to store apple pies in there too?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Name calling instead of the truth. Finding that a little too frequent with your gang...

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

=== NOTE DEFERENCE TO "REGULATIONS" (i.e. 27cfr555)

18usc40.842 Unlawful acts (j) It shall be unlawful for any person to store any explosive material in a manner not in conformity with regulations promulgated by the Secretary.

=== NOTE EXEMPTION:

27cfr555.141 Exemptions

(a) General. Except for the provisions of Secs. 555.180 and 555.181, this part does not apply to: (8) Gasoline, fertilizers, propellant actuated devices, or propellant actuated industrial tools manufactured, imported, or distributed for their intended purposes.

=== NOTE PENALTY FOR DISREGARDING EXEMPTION:

27cfr555.164 Unlawful storage.

Any person who stores any explosive material in a manner not in conformity with this part, shall be fined not more than $1,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

=== NOTE WHAT EXEMPTION IS FROM (RE: STORAGE):

27cfr555.202 Classes of explosive materials

For purposes of this part, there are three classes of explosive materials. These classes, together with the description of explosive materials comprising each class, are as follows: (b) Low explosives. Explosive materials which can be caused to deflagrate when confined.

27cfr555.203 Types of magazines

For purposes of this part, there are five types of magazines. These types, together with the classes of explosive materials, as defined in Sec. 555.202, which will be stored in them, are as follows: (d) Type 4 magazines. Magazines for the storage of low explosives, subject to the limitations prescribed by Secs. 555.206(b), 555.210(b), and 555.213.