ROL NEWS--Missile Works Announces Type 4 Storage Magazine

Missile Works Announces Type 4 Storage Magazine December 10, 2003 Web posted at: 9:57 PM EST
Estes Park, CO ( ROL Newswire ) -- Missile Works Corporation announces
the availability of a new Type 4 Indoor Storage Magazine. The Altheria Type 4 Indoor Magazine/Hazardous Materials Storage Locker measures 40" L x 18" W x 18"H (interior). Professionally manufactured with 16 gauge steel and all welded construction, it also features (2) deadbolt style 5-tumbler mortise locks, 1/4" non-sparking plywood liner and a full length continuous hinge. The magazine has a high quality red powder coating and comes standard with 3" white lettering "EXPLOSIVES KEEP FIRE AWAY", but can also come without lettering or with an alternative 3" white lettering "FLAMMABLE KEEP FIRE AWAY". The magazine complies with NFPA 1127 and BATFE requirements. The magazine can also be shipped to anywhere in the Continental 48 states for a flat $35 charge.
Check out this new storage magazine at their website www.missileworks.com . Navigate to the "Rocket Motors" product section for pictures and additional details.
Source: ROL Newswire Service

What NFPA 1127 requirements?

4.19.2 Not more than 23 kg (50 lb) of net propellant weight
of high power rocket motors, motor reloading kits, or pyrotechnic
modules subject to the storage requirements of 27
CFR 55 shall be stored in a Type 3 or a Type 4 indoor magazine.
4.19.2.1 The indoor magazine shall be painted red, and the
top shall bear the following words in white letters at least
76 mm (3 in.) high:
EXPLOSIVES - KEEP FIRE AWAY
4.19.2.2 The indoor magazine shall not be located in residence.
4.19.2.3 The indoor magazine shall be permitted to be located
in a detached garage or outbuilding.
4.19.2.4 The indoor magazine shall be permitted to be located
in an attached garage in a single-family residence where
approved by the authority having jurisdiction and the Bureau
of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.
4.19.2.5 Pyrotechnic high power solid-propellant rocket motors,
motor reloading kits, modules, or any other solidpropellant
motor products that are exempt under 27 CFR 55
shall be stored in a recloseable, noncombustible container.
4.19.3 Large-quantity storage shall comply with both of the
following requirements:
(1) Quantities greater than 22.7 kg (50 lb) of net propellant
weight of high power rocket motors, motor reloading kits,
or pyrotechnic modules subject to the storage requirements
of 27 CFR 55 shall be stored in a Type 4 or greater
outdoor magazine.
(2) The Type 4 or greater magazine shall meet the distance
requirements in Table 4.19.3.
4.19.4 High power rocket motors, motor reloading kits, and
pyrotechnic modules shall be stored in accordance with all
applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, statutes,
and ordinances.
4.19.5 A high power rocket motor shall not be stored with an
ignition element installed.
Chapter 5 High Power Rocket Motor User
Certification
5.1 Sales Only to Certified Users. A high power rocket motor
or motor reloading kit shall be sold to, shipped to, stored by,
and used only by certified users.
5.2 User Permit Requirements. Where required by 27 CFR
55, a "User of Low Explosives Permit" shall be obtained prior
to both of the following:
(1) Acquisition by a certified user of a high power solidpropellant
rocket motor(s) or motor reloading kit(s) in a
state other than that in which the user resides
(2) Transportation by a certified user of a high power solidpropellant
rocket motor(s) or motor reloading kit(s) to a
state other than that in which the user resides
5.3 Maintenance of Sales Records.
5.3.1 High power rocket motor manufacturers, distributors,
and sellers shall maintain a list of those certified users to
whom they have sold high power rocket motors or motor reloading
kits that includes the following information:
(1) Name and address of the purchaser
(2) Name and address of the national user organization that
has certified the user
(3) Type and number of high power solid-propellant rocket
motors or motor reloading kits sold to the certified user
(4) Date of sale and shipment of high power rocket motors or
motor reloading kits to the certified user
5.3.2 The manufacturer, distributor, or seller shall make
available, on request, the records specified in 5.3.1 to any law
enforcement person or the authority having jurisdiction.

Competing cites. Here's mine to eliminate yours:
http://www.v-serv.com/usr/ATFexempt.htm
From 27 CFR 55.11, "Propellant Actuated Device. Any tool or special mechanized device or gas generator system which is actuated by a propellant or which releases and directs work through a propellant charge."
This definition is what is referred to in 27 CFR 55.141(a)(8)
55.141 exemptions (a) (8) Gasoline, fertilizers, propellant actuated devices, or propellant actuated industrial tools manufactured, imported, or distributed for their intended purposes.
From this, it is commonly understood that as long as the PAD are manufactured, imported, or distributed for their intended purpose, they are exempt from treatment as explosives per 27 CFR and other laws. There is no size or volume limitation on what is exempted.
See http://www.atf.treas.gov/explarson/fedexplolaw/qanda.pdf
page 10 (page 62 of the "Orange Book")
66. Who must meet storage requirements? All persons who store explosive materials must store them in conformity with the provisions of Subpart K of the regulations, unless the person or the materials are exempt from regulation. [18 U.S.C. 842(j), 845; 27 CFR 55.29, 55.141, 55.164, 55.201(a)]
Note the reference to 55.141.

Makes sense.

Competing cites. Here's mine to eliminate yours:
http://www.v-serv.com/usr/ATFexempt.htm
From 27 CFR 55.11, "Propellant Actuated Device. Any tool or special mechanized device or gas generator system which is actuated by a propellant or which releases and directs work through a propellant charge."
This definition is what is referred to in 27 CFR 55.141(a)(8)
55.141 exemptions (a) (8) Gasoline, fertilizers, propellant actuated devices, or propellant actuated industrial tools manufactured, imported, or distributed for their intended purposes.
From this, it is commonly understood that as long as the PAD are manufactured, imported, or distributed for their intended purpose, they are exempt from treatment as explosives per 27 CFR and other laws. There is no size or volume limitation on what is exempted.
See http://www.atf.treas.gov/explarson/fedexplolaw/qanda.pdf
page 10 (page 62 of the "Orange Book")
66. Who must meet storage requirements? All persons who store explosive materials must store them in conformity with the provisions of Subpart K of the regulations, unless the person or the materials are exempt from regulation. [18 U.S.C. 842(j), 845; 27 CFR 55.29, 55.141, 55.164, 55.201(a)]
Note the reference to 55.141.

Competing cites. Here's mine to eliminate yours:
http://www.v-serv.com/usr/ATFexempt.htm
From 27 CFR 55.11, "Propellant Actuated Device. Any tool or special mechanized device or gas generator system which is actuated by a propellant or which releases and directs work through a propellant charge."
This definition is what is referred to in 27 CFR 55.141(a)(8)
55.141 exemptions (a) (8) Gasoline, fertilizers, propellant actuated devices, or propellant actuated industrial tools manufactured, imported, or distributed for their intended purposes.
From this, it is commonly understood that as long as the PAD are manufactured, imported, or distributed for their intended purpose, they are exempt from treatment as explosives per 27 CFR and other laws. There is no size or volume limitation on what is exempted.
See http://www.atf.treas.gov/explarson/fedexplolaw/qanda.pdf
page 10 (page 62 of the "Orange Book")
66. Who must meet storage requirements? All persons who store explosive materials must store them in conformity with the provisions of Subpart K of the regulations, unless the person or the materials are exempt from regulation. [18 U.S.C. 842(j), 845; 27 CFR 55.29, 55.141, 55.164, 55.201(a)]
Note the reference to 55.141.

Done.
Jerry
1127 references "high power rocket motors" ... 27 CFR 55.11 references PADs. High power rocket motors have to be stored in a Magazine, PADs don't. I use HPR motors, you use PADs. 27 CFR 55.11 is too gray for my taste.

Un gray me.
How is this NOT what you ilegally have in your magazine?

And now the million dollar question. How do you feel about disagreeing with the attorneys of BOTH NAR and TRA?
Just Jerry with hard law cites.
Greenlee has a portable storage chest Model 1636 that sells for about $190 that sure looks like a magazine to me.... can anyone comment on this chest for use as a magazine - I would spray the inside with rubberized traction spray or glue some 1/8" plywood inside. Comments? http://198.247.193.8/wwwroot/greenlee/storage.pdf Murray
snipped-for-privacy@rocketeermedia.com says...

27 CFR 555.141-a-8

I'd probably buy one myself if the ATF allowed them.
The ATF does not allow them as magazines because Greenlee puts a sticker on every one that says they are not for use with explosives. They are probably perfectly fine for explosives, but I'm sure Greenlee doesn't want the liability.
Greenlee boxes are so popular that an ATF agent would probably recognize one even if you stripped the decals and repainted it a different color.
Brian Elfert
MissileWorks has a Type 4 Indoor Storage Magazine for $250 at http://tinyurl.com/2jc9m
but you can only use it legally to store non-exempt low explosives
- iz
Brian Elfert wrote:

per 27 CFR 555.141-a-8

Do you have a cite for the this?
Joel. phx

That just says it's an explosive exempt from regulation, not that it's not an explosive. Why would it be illegal to store an exempt explosive?

This has been cited before but I admit I do not have that particular cite on my site because a non-moron would not make it an issue.
Do you want to store apple pies in there too?
Jerry

not
Nobody uses lined metal boxes to take motors to launches? If they're exempt from storage, is it legal or illegal to do so? What if the previous box owner had it inspected as a type 4 magazine?

Why, is your pie hole full?
Joel. phx

Joel Corwith wrote:

the ATF has explicitly stated that motors must be removed from the magazine for transport (again, I'm looking fot my Q&A on this, it was an early one - not what is on the atf.gov site today)
my speculation is that the container requirements for personal transport would be a DoT matter, but as it is not "for commerce" I believe there is no specific container or placarding requirement. But you would still have to observe flammable metarial restrictions where posted (e.g.; tunnels).
then, of course there is the issue of unattended storage at the launch site. This is also a subject of much debate, but my understanding of both the spirit and letter of the regs is that launchsite storage is a requirement for motors not in use (being prepped or launched). Others will argue that a box in your car is fine, but I don't see how that can satisfy the BATFE concerns regarding security from theft.
- iz

exempt
First I've heard of that one. Site'm if ya got'm.

While I'd love to hear all about the merits of safely storing motors so that if the car is on fire the gas tank is a bigger issue than a bunch of motors, I think I will decline at this time. Besides, the only 'tunnel' in Phoenix is really just a bunch of bridges with dirt on top.

Assuming, of course, that the PAD rule does not apply. I would love to see a Q&A on one unattended can of BP.
Joel. phx

NFPA 1125. 2001 Ed. (excerpted for editorial review)
--
6.1.1 Low explosives not exempt under 27 CFR 55 shall be stored only in
a Type 1, 2, 3, or 4 magazine. They shall be so stored at all times

box
granted, but as I said, I am still looking for the BATFE policy reference
I only cited this here as it was consistent with the policy statement I saw in the past
- iz