Type 4 Magazenes

I've gotten by for several years with a "buy & fly" LEUP and a type 3 magazine. It's time for my LEUP renewal and I'm going to erect a wooden shed for storage about 100' from my house.

Question: Do you guys make the whole shed the type 4 mag, or do you build a type 4 mag inside the shed?

Doc "NAR Weenie" Damerau

Reply to
Doc

Before you start construction, I'd suggest talking to the local agents to see what they will and won't approve. That way, you don't get something done one way only to find out they want it the other.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

How big a magazine do You need? :)

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

I am going to do just that. But, I was just looking to see what others do and get some general ideas.

Reply to
Doc

You don't qualify to be a Weenie. Sorry.

Reply to
Phil Stein

My back yard is big enough that I can have the set-back allow over 2,000 lbs. That will hold a few M's and N's. Hell, I'll even be able to store one of Anthony's O motors! :-)

Reply to
Doc

;-)

Reply to
Doc

2,000 lbs.! Phil's right, You're definitely out of the "weenie" category. If you intend on storing that much, make the shed a magazine. I've been told that a standard household type dead bolt lock meets BATFE requirements, but like Kevin said, check with you local agent.

You might still have to build a shed. :)

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Who made you the official "weenie sorting hat"

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

For what it's worth, I know a guy with a LEUP that has a Type 4 magazine just sitting on a slab of concrete in his backyard. Not the best for a controlled climate storage but motors are cycled in and out pretty quick.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Grippo

Why type 3 instead of 4?

Get it all in writing from the BATFE, and state and local BEFORE you start. Make sure they can't change their minds after you start.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Self appointed. I figure if Iz can appoint himself savior, I can appoint myself weenie sorter.

Reply to
Phil Stein

I would put a portable type 4 magazine in the shed. You can make the shed the magazine, but then you've got to line the WHOLE thing with metal and you've got to make it non-sparking.

If you need more than 50 lb, you can put multiple type 4's in the shed (but make sure you get agreement from the BATFE first like everyone else said).

Reply to
David

Phil' right, Bob. He's got the "gift", look how He's ferreted (weasel?) out jerry.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Since near as I can tell, being a weenie is a good thing, Doc seems right.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Everyone I know who has gone this route, has put a Type 4 indoor magazine in a shed. This is of course limited to 50 pounds. (60 pounds if/when NPRM 968 is ever finalized.)

A wooden shed (unless metal covered) could not qualify as a magazine. See:

I know a fireworks club that uses 40' shipping containers as magazines for display fireworks. Get one of those, add the appropriate locks, and you can store all of the motors you will ever need. :-)

Be sure to read and understand the relevant portions of the 27 CFR Part

555:
You probably need to read _all_ of it. I only recently figured out what was meant by "marks of identification", which are required to be recorded in acquisition records. No definition and it is only mentioned in the section discussing the records required to be kept by manufacturers. For some reason I ignored that section. :-)
Reply to
David Schultz

You have to admit - it was a nice tribute LOC made when they named that rocket after Jerry - the Weasel (not the ferret)

Reply to
Phil Stein

It might be a good think if you let go of yours. 8-)

Reply to
Phil Stein

I would say it depends on how much you want to store, space-wise, as well as whether you are going for an indoor or outdoor magazine.

If you are building a magazine strictly for your own use and don't plan on storing a lot, I'd go with building a small magazine inside the shed, as it would be less expensive to do so. If you are planning on allowing storage use by others, you might want to consider something larger.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Keep up the good work, Phil :)

Ted 'anti weenie as they come' Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d