Type 4 Magazenes

I've gotten by for several years with a "buy & fly" LEUP and a type 3 magazine. It's time for my LEUP renewal and I'm going to erect a wooden shed
for storage about 100' from my house.
Question: Do you guys make the whole shed the type 4 mag, or do you build a type 4 mag inside the shed?
Doc "NAR Weenie" Damerau
--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA
Doc wrote:

Before you start construction, I'd suggest talking to the local agents to see what they will and won't approve. That way, you don't get something done one way only to find out they want it the other.
-Kevin

I am going to do just that. But, I was just looking to see what others do and get some general ideas.
--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA
Doc wrote:

I would say it depends on how much you want to store, space-wise, as well as whether you are going for an indoor or outdoor magazine.
If you are building a magazine strictly for your own use and don't plan on storing a lot, I'd go with building a small magazine inside the shed, as it would be less expensive to do so. If you are planning on allowing storage use by others, you might want to consider something larger.
-Kevin

I think the indoor mag inside the shed is the easiest way to go. 50 lbs is a good start. If I keep 300 lbs of motors less than 62.5 grams in my sock drawer, it will allow me to keep more larger motors in the mag. ;-)

--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA
Doc wrote:

Either you have really big feet, or your idea of a "sock drawer" matches most people's idea of an armoir....
-Kevin
Kevin Trojanowski wrote:

Maybe it's a "walk in" sock drawer.

I was just making the point that AP is not an explosive unless the grains are over 62.5 grams....but I DO have a pretty big sock drawer. ;-)
--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA

If you are planning on sharing the space, I'd seriously check your local regs and insurance situation. My local FPD said that as long as I was storing stuff for personal use, they had no jurisdiction, but the minute I stored anything else, I was illegal.
Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)! <<< Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/Document/MayJun00.pdf www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org
We have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve. -- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, WWII.

Why type 3 instead of 4?

Get it all in writing from the BATFE, and state and local BEFORE you start. Make sure they can't change their minds after you start.
Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)! <<< Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/Document/MayJun00.pdf www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org
I'm not afraid of terrorists. I am terrorized by airport security. _george
writes:

I bought one of those magazines from Magnum. (...or IS that a type 4?) I had no place to put it. I was going to go for the attached garage variance, but I couldn't get a letter in time from the local fire marshal.

Since when did getting something in writing stop the BATFE from changing their minds? ;-)

--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA

This should be in the FAQ.
Doc wrote:

How big a magazine do You need? :)

My back yard is big enough that I can have the set-back allow over 2,000 lbs. That will hold a few M's and N's. Hell, I'll even be able to store one of Anthony's O motors! :-)
--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA
Doc wrote:

2,000 lbs.! Phil's right, You're definitely out of the "weenie" category. If you intend on storing that much, make the shed a magazine. I've been told that a standard household type dead bolt lock meets BATFE requirements, but like Kevin said, check with you local agent.
You might still have to build a shed. :)
I would put a portable type 4 magazine in the shed. You can make the shed the magazine, but then you've got to line the WHOLE thing with metal and you've got to make it non-sparking.
If you need more than 50 lb, you can put multiple type 4's in the shed (but make sure you get agreement from the BATFE first like everyone else said).
-- David

You don't qualify to be a Weenie. Sorry.

;-)
--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA

Who made you the official "weenie sorting hat"
Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)! <<< Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/Document/MayJun00.pdf www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org
I'm not afraid of terrorists. I am terrorized by airport security. _george
On 15 Jul 2005 19:12:06 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Self appointed. I figure if Iz can appoint himself savior, I can appoint myself weenie sorter.