Type 4 Magazenes

Be aware that the "Orange Book" was published in 2000 and there have been several changes since then. Notably the Safe Explosives Act. So it is not up to date although I can't think of any changes that have been made to subpart K.

Reply to
David Schultz

No it doesn't.

See page 6 of:

David Schultz

Sorry, this does not refer to mobile/portable type 4 magazine which appears to be treated separately in the regs (not sure why though).

Reply to
Koen O. Loeven

My original plan was to put a Type 4 magazine inside a Rubbermaid storage shed. My local ATF office was ok with it. What killed that idea was my local FD said it was too close to my property line (per NFPA 1127 it has to be at least 25' away from open flame and I couldn't control what happened on the other side of the fence). I ended up with an attached garage variance, which is more convenient for me anyway.

Reply to
Alex Mericas

There are two different sections covering the construction of type 4 magazines at 27 CFR 555.210. subsection (a) covers outdoor magazines and (b) covers indoor magazines.

Subsection (b) includes the alternate locking provisions if stored in a secure room. There is no separate treatment for mobile/portable type 4 magazines.

Please provide a reference for why you think that type 4 mobile/portable magazines are treated differently.

Koen O. Loeven wrote: > Sorry, this does not refer to mobile/portable type 4 magazine which appears > to be treated separately in the regs (not sure why though). >

Reply to
David Schultz

I have been talking with my ATF agent. He was trying to talk me into making the whole shed a magazine. (Knowing I have the room/distances)

One of the things that he said was if I wanted to just use my current type 4 magazine, I would need to change the locks on my Magnum type magazine. He said that it is no longer acceptable as a type 4 magazine, and I would need to buy an upgrade kit. HOURS of searching lead me to find one at Cains.com.

We started excavating yesterday.

Doc

Reply to
Doc

The "Magnum" magazine is really a Cain's magazine. The retrofit kit from Cain's is what you want. It looks pretty easy to install.

The Missleworks magazine has a similar problem. The locks are ok but the striker plate isn't. I ended up making my own upgrade kit but I understand the Mfg was in the process of producing one. From what I've heard, they no longer make those magazines.

Reply to
Alex Mericas

COuld have had that answer on the TRA list in a few minutes. It has been discussed the many times.

Reply to
Phil Stein

I've installed it. It is very easy.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Me too. Very easy.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
nedtovak

I thought of that, but with the hundreds of political posts, I didn't want to add too much to the traffic.

Doc

Reply to
Doc

The Cain's magazine is actually made by a company called MSM Inc.

They have several distributors, and Cain's is one of them.

I was going to do my own upgrade too, but the kit from Cain's was only $15.

Doc

Reply to
Doc

Armag sells a great magazine for indoor. Its a type 4, but that means it is more than anough to cover all bases for a type 2. Our ATF agent loved it. I dont remember the price but it was well worth it. Check it out

Bruce Jones Countdown Hobbies

Reply to
Countdown Hobbies

That crap stopped when evil Art cut back on his posting and people started ignoring him a lot more. A tech post would have been welcome to most people.

Reply to
Phil Stein