Type 4 Magazenes

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:31:52 -0500, Alex Mericas

I've installed it. It is very easy.
Phil Stein wrote:

Me too. Very easy.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

The Cain's magazine is actually made by a company called MSM Inc. (www.msmfg.com) They have several distributors, and Cain's is one of them.
I was going to do my own upgrade too, but the kit from Cain's was only $15.
Doc
--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA

COuld have had that answer on the TRA list in a few minutes. It has been discussed the many times.

I thought of that, but with the hundreds of political posts, I didn't want to add too much to the traffic.
Doc
--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA

That crap stopped when evil Art cut back on his posting and people started ignoring him a lot more. A tech post would have been welcome to most people.
David Schultz wrote:

There used to be a quarry in the Panamint Valley that was using one of these for storing blasting materials. They carved a trench into the rock hillside and set the container into the trench, and covered the top with rock. Basically all that was showing was the end with the doors sticking out of the base of the hill.
I saw the remains of it not long after somebody broke in and set off all the dynamite, back in 1993. Pretty freaking impressive. It looked like a lot of the stuff detonated after getting blown out of the container, as there were numerous craters all around the front of it. One of the big, heavy steel doors was at least a half mile away.
Doc wrote:

I know at least one guy here who bolted a big Greenlee box to a concrete foundation, and that is his "building". His indoor magazine goes inside the Greenlee box. Others have put up small sheds to house their indoor magazine.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

My original plan was to put a Type 4 magazine inside a Rubbermaid storage shed. My local ATF office was ok with it. What killed that idea was my local FD said it was too close to my property line (per NFPA 1127 it has to be at least 25' away from open flame and I couldn't control what happened on the other side of the fence). I ended up with an attached garage variance, which is more convenient for me anyway.
It recommend the magazine iun a shed approach and the "mobile/portable" type 4 magazine designation. It at least gets rid of the hoods requirement over the hasps/locks.
Koen
Koen O. Loeven wrote:

No it doesn't.
See page 6 of:
http://www.atf.gov/explarson/newsletter/ex_newsletter/0604.pdf
--
David W. Schultz
Sorry, this does not refer to mobile/portable type 4 magazine which appears to be treated separately in the regs (not sure why though).

There are two different sections covering the construction of type 4 magazines at 27 CFR 555.210. subsection (a) covers outdoor magazines and (b) covers indoor magazines.
Subsection (b) includes the alternate locking provisions if stored in a secure room. There is no separate treatment for mobile/portable type 4 magazines.
Please provide a reference for why you think that type 4 mobile/portable magazines are treated differently.
Koen O. Loeven wrote: > Sorry, this does not refer to mobile/portable type 4 magazine which appears > to be treated separately in the regs (not sure why though). > >
--
David W. Schultz
http://www.armagcorp.com/indoor_mag_com.htm