Type 4 Magazenes

Hi David, I respect your posts and knowledge of the rules I've seen you wield.

I have not read the link posted, but my question is thus.

How can a major midwest fireworks distribotor use semi trailers (57 or more) as magazines down the road from me ?

Reply to
AlMax

Is there a "weenie dome" available for entire clubs? Might save some costs on individual hats, and cut down on thermals. The non weenies will sneak off before the dome is complete!

Reply to
AZ Woody

I would assume because the ATF approved them. :-)

OK, that wasn't what you wanted. Look at 27 CFR 555.210 (the link I provided) which details the construction requirements for type 4 outdoor magazines. It starts:

"A type 4 magazine is a building, igloo or ``Army-type structure'', tunnel, dugout, box, trailer, or a semitrailer or other mobile magazine."

So semi trailers are, almost by definition, type 4 magazines. The wheels must be removed (or imobilized) but if you are using shipping containers, that isn't a problem at all.

But if all this distributer stores are items exempt under 27 CFR 555.141 (i.e. Class C fireworks) then they are exempt from all ATF storage requirements.

Reply to
David Schultz

Wonder if the dome will have a mosaic designed into it.

Remind the weenies - shiney side out.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Or just supply extra tin foil. That way they can add their own ornamentation!

Reply to
AZ Woody

I bought one of those magazines from Magnum. (...or IS that a type 4?) I had no place to put it. I was going to go for the attached garage variance, but I couldn't get a letter in time from the local fire marshal.

Since when did getting something in writing stop the BATFE from changing their minds? ;-)

Reply to
Doc

I think the indoor mag inside the shed is the easiest way to go. 50 lbs is a good start. If I keep 300 lbs of motors less than 62.5 grams in my sock drawer, it will allow me to keep more larger motors in the mag. ;-)

Reply to
Doc

This looks like the way I'll go for now.

I have the orange book and read Part K Storage several times. What I was thinking of doing was building a standard storage shed and line it with steel. Then, cover the steel with another layer of wood. That way, it will look normal from the outside. But, it looks like I may just go with the indoor mag inside the shed.

My BATFE agent was "into" this part when I first got my LEUP years ago. When I showed him an I284 reload kit and it had no "marks of identification" (ie lot #), he said to write something down if I ever find it.

He then made me put the motor in my friends registered mag within 24hrs or he would confiscate it.

Reply to
Doc

Either you have really big feet, or your idea of a "sock drawer" matches most people's idea of an armoir....

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

I don't believe the wheels have to be removed; it just has to be secured so that Bubba can't back up to it, hook right up, and head out. A lock of some sort which secures the trailer from being hooked up is sufficient.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Hey, I thought *I* was the savior. I'm Jewish, was crucified by TRA, and returned from the dead...

:-)

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

If you are planning on sharing the space, I'd seriously check your local regs and insurance situation. My local FPD said that as long as I was storing stuff for personal use, they had no jurisdiction, but the minute I stored anything else, I was illegal.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

I thought it as the Estes Snitch.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Maybe it's a "walk in" sock drawer.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

nah, they store lots of class b stuff.

it looks like the trailers are sunk in the ground, rather then the wheels taken off.

Reply to
AlMax

I know at least one guy here who bolted a big Greenlee box to a concrete foundation, and that is his "building". His indoor magazine goes inside the Greenlee box. Others have put up small sheds to house their indoor magazine.

Reply to
raydunakin

There used to be a quarry in the Panamint Valley that was using one of these for storing blasting materials. They carved a trench into the rock hillside and set the container into the trench, and covered the top with rock. Basically all that was showing was the end with the doors sticking out of the base of the hill.

I saw the remains of it not long after somebody broke in and set off all the dynamite, back in 1993. Pretty freaking impressive. It looked like a lot of the stuff detonated after getting blown out of the container, as there were numerous craters all around the front of it. One of the big, heavy steel doors was at least a half mile away.

Reply to
raydunakin

This should be in the FAQ.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I was just making the point that AP is not an explosive unless the grains are over 62.5 grams....but I DO have a pretty big sock drawer. ;-)

Reply to
Doc

It recommend the magazine iun a shed approach and the "mobile/portable" type

4 magazine designation. It at least gets rid of the hoods requirement over the hasps/locks.

Koen

Reply to
Koen O. Loeven