Type 4 Magazenes

Phil Stein wrote:

Phil' right, Bob. He's got the "gift", look how He's ferreted (weasel?) out jerry.
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:41:03 GMT, Dave Grayvis

You have to admit - it was a nice tribute LOC made when they named that rocket after Jerry - the Weasel (not the ferret)

I thought it as the Estes Snitch.
Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)! <<< Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/Document/MayJun00.pdf www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org
We have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve. -- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, WWII.
Phil Stein wrote:

Keep up the good work, Phil :)
Ted 'anti weenie as they come' Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
(Bob

Is there a "weenie dome" available for entire clubs? Might save some costs on individual hats, and cut down on thermals. The non weenies will sneak off before the dome is complete!

Wonder if the dome will have a mosaic designed into it.
Remind the weenies - shiney side out.
(Bob

costs
Or just supply extra tin foil. That way they can add their own ornamentation!

Hey, I thought *I* was the savior. I'm Jewish, was crucified by TRA, and returned from the dead...
:-)
Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)! <<< Kaplow Klips & Baffle:    http://nira-rocketry.org/Document/MayJun00.pdf www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org
We have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve. -- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, WWII.
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Since near as I can tell, being a weenie is a good thing, Doc seems right.
Jerry

It might be a good think if you let go of yours. 8-)
For what it's worth, I know a guy with a LEUP that has a Type 4 magazine just sitting on a slab of concrete in his backyard. Not the best for a controlled climate storage but motors are cycled in and out pretty quick.
Andrew

Doc wrote:

Everyone I know who has gone this route, has put a Type 4 indoor magazine in a shed. This is of course limited to 50 pounds. (60 pounds if/when NPRM 968 is ever finalized.)
A wooden shed (unless metal covered) could not qualify as a magazine. See:
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01apr20051500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2005/aprqtr/27cfr555.210.htm
I know a fireworks club that uses 40' shipping containers as magazines for display fireworks. Get one of those, add the appropriate locks, and you can store all of the motors you will ever need. :-)
Be sure to read and understand the relevant portions of the 27 CFR Part 555: http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_05/27cfr555_05.html
You probably need to read _all_ of it. I only recently figured out what was meant by "marks of identification", which are required to be recorded in acquisition records. No definition and it is only mentioned in the section discussing the records required to be kept by manufacturers. For some reason I ignored that section. :-)
--
David W. Schultz
http://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz /

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01apr20051500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2005/aprqtr/27cfr555.210.htm
I have not read the link posted, but my question is thus.
How can a major midwest fireworks distribotor use semi trailers (57 or more) as magazines down the road from me ?
AlMax wrote:

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01apr20051500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2005/aprqtr/27cfr555.210.htm
I would assume because the ATF approved them. :-)
OK, that wasn't what you wanted. Look at 27 CFR 555.210 (the link I provided) which details the construction requirements for type 4 outdoor magazines. It starts:
"A type 4 magazine is a building, igloo or ``Army-type structure'', tunnel, dugout, box, trailer, or a semitrailer or other mobile magazine."
So semi trailers are, almost by definition, type 4 magazines. The wheels must be removed (or imobilized) but if you are using shipping containers, that isn't a problem at all.
But if all this distributer stores are items exempt under 27 CFR 555.141 (i.e. Class C fireworks) then they are exempt from all ATF storage requirements.
--
David W. Schultz
http://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz /
David Schultz wrote:

I don't believe the wheels have to be removed; it just has to be secured so that Bubba can't back up to it, hook right up, and head out. A lock of some sort which secures the trailer from being hooked up is sufficient.
-Kevin

nah, they store lots of class b stuff.
it looks like the trailers are sunk in the ground, rather then the wheels taken off.

This looks like the way I'll go for now.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01apr20051500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2005/aprqtr/27cfr555.210.htm
I have the orange book and read Part K Storage several times. What I was thinking of doing was building a standard storage shed and line it with steel. Then, cover the steel with another layer of wood. That way, it will look normal from the outside. But, it looks like I may just go with the indoor mag inside the shed.

My BATFE agent was "into" this part when I first got my LEUP years ago. When I showed him an I284 reload kit and it had no "marks of identification" (ie lot #), he said to write something down if I ever find it.
He then made me put the motor in my friends registered mag within 24hrs or he would confiscate it.
--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA
Doc wrote:

Be aware that the "Orange Book" was published in 2000 and there have been several changes since then. Notably the Safe Explosives Act. So it is not up to date although I can't think of any changes that have been made to subpart K.
--
David W. Schultz

I have been talking with my ATF agent. He was trying to talk me into making the whole shed a magazine. (Knowing I have the room/distances)
One of the things that he said was if I wanted to just use my current type 4 magazine, I would need to change the locks on my Magnum type magazine. He said that it is no longer acceptable as a type 4 magazine, and I would need to buy an upgrade kit. HOURS of searching lead me to find one at Cains.com.
We started excavating yesterday.
Doc
--

Drake "Doc" Damerau
President, NEPRA
Doc wrote:

The "Magnum" magazine is really a Cain's magazine. The retrofit kit from Cain's is what you want. It looks pretty easy to install.
The Missleworks magazine has a similar problem. The locks are ok but the striker plate isn't. I ended up making my own upgrade kit but I understand the Mfg was in the process of producing one. From what I've heard, they no longer make those magazines.