Message to folks who made the commercial. Important "future" advice.

If Discover decides to do more "rocketry" programs we need to be ready.

what I would love is for a method to be available to have this "commercial" we had made (and any others you guys might come up with) made available to rocket even orginizers in "broadcast" quality (IE whatever format the production people need ??? not sure what that is but I imagine you can not just hand them a VHS :-)

Anyway it should also be asked that INSTEAD of any kind of royalty or compensation we just ask them to include this commercial once for each hour of programming.

that would save us loads of money and help further promote the hobby (also do more commercials) I am betting if we made a 30 sec commercial and asked for it to be aired in place of any compensation I bet they would take it !!!

if its another multi hour program like this it would have been nice to have THREE commercials even if only slight different. to vary it a bit.

have a "collection" of commercials if possible and then tell them to just "pic" whatever one they like (the hosting club or even discovery themselves) again not sure how this stuff works.

I was not "blown" away by the commercial as a commercial. I was blown away by its effectiveness considered the time limits. my dad said it sucked. I said hey we only have 15 seconds. HOW MUCH can you do with 15 seconds. not much (hence the need next time for 30sec)

Considering our Extreme time and budgetary restraints I was quite impressed. I was also more impressed seeing it on tv (looked much better than the quicktime download from a while back)

I REALLY hope works out. now we need to do what every coach on the planet is always telling their pupils.

FOLLOW THROUGH

keep the momentum going. Make it better and better and most importantly find anyway we can to do it for free or MUCH cheaper. we can NOT afford to pop off 80 grand whenever something like this comes up. I only put in $100 and it hurt but I felt it was VERY much worth it.

but to do that multiple times a year would be impossible for me and likely many others. so forget the "royalties" and try to get a "time slot" instead as compensation.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

better than that, IMO:

when you return from a commercial break, there is a still "Rocket Challenge" graphic. If that could include a reference to flyrockets.com, it would be visible after every break regardless of when or where it aired

as it is now, Discovery may re-air months from now and we may not be apprised, or may not be in a position to buy commercial time. Especially if its popularity raises the cost of the airtime due to competing sponsors

for future shows, have the host explicitly refer to the website at the opening and closing of the show as well, and have the contestants have flyrockets.com banners visible in their prep areas, on their rockets, etc.

I would expect that if this is as popular as we envision, TDC will want to produce their own coverage in the future, and possibly create their own show, "Rocket Wars" ala "Junkyard Wars".

- iz

Chris Taylor Jr wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Doesn't even ened to be a commercial. Just "for more information visit

" at the end of the show and in the credits.

Bob Kaplow

I believe you are talking to me ;-) Thanks for the kind words. You were right, time was a killer, I literally only had a few days when it looked like we were a "go" once the goals due to many generous people from the whole of rocketry met the challenge (thanks everyone). I mean that sincerely, it was wonderful to see everyone put aside org differences and pull together for this venture. As for your suggestions Chris, I AM listening, and should an opportunity present itself to do this again, we'll be ready. And special thanks to Alan Hancock, owner of Flyrockets.com, an old friend, and member of POTROCS, for letting us use the url. When I went on the hunt for a suitable URL, it was purely coincidental that it was right under my nose.... miracles do indeed happen..

Pat G

Reply to
Potrocs

In this case, we didn't really need any more than that. A commercial is basically bait on a hook. The entire SHOW was the bait -- all we had to provide was the hook!

Reply to
RayDunakin