movies i am buying - add to my shoping list!

DVD: X-15 DVD: Conquest of Space
David Takemoto-Weerts

Tate,
You may want to visit bittorrent.com. They have ironed out a deal with Hollywood, and should be able to file serve movies, ala Napster. Just save you alot of dough, and is a great way to 'test drive' a movie before you spend retail. Check with your local laws before you use them, or talk with Ted and/or Jerry to see if its FUN and therefore exceptible.
Tater Schuld wrote:

I don't know. seeing how you act towards other people on this forum makes me question any advice you give.

boy, I really wasn't asking to create the fastest growing on-topic thread on RMR!

Just a suggestion on a useful DVD buying tool I've used since I first got into DVDs: DVDPRICESEARCH.COM Not only does it find the best price for a DAV, but if you are buying up to a dozen, it figures out how to break up your order to get the best overall price. It's always come up with better deals for me than the typical Amazon et al.
insert usual disclaimer...

I don't know. at Ebay I've been picking up titles for under $5, INCLUDING shipping. havent been burned yet on DVDs. and when i have been burned, it was usually my fault (gotta read fine print)

I would suggest Trinity and Nukes in Space.
CD

Oh yeah! Also, forgot to mention Atomic Cafe...
Scarily black humor...
<g>
Tod "Give us Duct Tape and Plastic!" Hilty
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems

Nuuuukes, iiinnnnnn, spaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccce....
Sorry, having a muppet moment there.

I must say I agree Darren.
that is what first made that title jump out at me !
in watching it, it's awesome to see Von Braun and his friends send up nukes in space on redstones at night, to light up 1/16 of the globe in aura lights.
Also I found out Wally was measuring radiation in space after a nuke in space on his Mercury Mission !
CD
On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 14:47:12 -0600, "Tater Schuld"

<snip>
The Fifth Element
Cheesy sci-fi that doesn't take itself too seriously, and Mila Jovavitch.

Interesting, its currently on the TNT sat network right now as I am enjoying it with my drink and cigar ;)

It was on TV (forget which channel) this side of the pond recently too.
Tater,
You actually admit to owning copies of Buckaroo Bonsai and Waterworld!??!
Man, that's guts. I won't even cop to watching them. I didn't do it!!! Not me!!! You can't prove it!!! 8^)
But seriously... Silent Running with Bruce Dern... Good flick. And Armageddon with Bruce Willis is pretty decent. (Mmmmmm... Liv Tyler... Ouch! Hurt me!) 8^)
James

converting

I'd disagree, it is one of the flicks I thought about not getting, along with dark star. story was drawn out, not enough footage was left on the floor, and a lot of scenes should have been re-shot, or scenes should have been added.
I decided to get them on DVD anyway, as it is easier to skip parts on DVD than on VHS.
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 10:13:03 -0600, "Tater Schuld"

It is difficult to suggest which movies you should buy, when you did not provide the selection parameters. You give a list and we presume you want more like that. It appears that you want SF-Action adventure-Space, but then you also list Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, and maybe what you really want is just DVDs with lots of extras. The question was not what are my favorite SF movies, but which of the movies that I have seen do I think you would like. I have left many of my favorites off the list. Now it looks like you want to open up the discussion to which movies you might take off the buy list. This is good too, since it looks like you might be investing $1000 or so. If you can wait a couple years, you might what to get all that stuff digitally remastered to 1080i on blue ray disks.
Buckaroo Bonsai remains a solid cult classic.
Waterworld was bad, and the best part was the boat. Still, it is watchable, and if you liked it, that is all that matters.
Plan 9 from Outer Space is an often referenced classic worst SF movie. YOu should see it once, but it is not the space to keep the DVD. Two of the modern worst SF movies are Howard the Duck, and Brother From Another Planet. You should not see those even once!
Silent Running is not a great movie, but it does have an interesting angle, tree huggers, or conservationists, in space. The most interesting aspects are the droids, Huey, Louy, and Dewy.
Of the movies you listed, I'd pass on Flash Gordon, Hackers, Ice Pirates, The Black Hole, Tron, and about half of the Star Trek Movies (The Voyage Home is the best.) OTOH, if you wait, you might be able to get all the Star Trek movies on one blue ray disk. On that note, I must say that all six Star Wars movies are worth getting.
One movie not discussed is Barbarella. Some people think this is a classic collectable SF flick, but it is just a bad movie. It has all the good SF elements, including Jane Fonda, but fails short. With Hollywood fixated on remaking movies, Barbarella is one that really needs it. Jame Fonda made a come back movie, Monster in-law, and that made Siskel and Ebert's(?) worst films of 2005 review.
I'm pleased that you do not seem to care for the monster movies. Although, Jurassic Park and 3/4s of the Alien movies are actually good.
Alan The balcony is closed

did not want to skew the suggestions. also I have not commetns on some selections because i have already decided I dont want them, or may already have them on DVD

a bit less than a grand, if one fights for low bids on ebay.
I dont want to wait for blue ray becuase then I'll be advised to wait for mega-disks, or alpha-ray, or whatever the next step would be. most of these have been re-released with extra footage, and i would like to check some of it out

already on DVD, and I did not think it was the worst. devil girl from mars could beat plan 9
> Silent Running is not a great movie, but it does have an interesting

agreed, but if you watch there is little footage of them. there should be more!

Flash gordon was colorfull. didnt know queen was a rock band when i watched. Hackers strikes a nerve in my heart, and not becuse of Angela Jolie (had to watch tomb raider, couldn't believe was same person)
Ice pirates was well filmed and well acted. poor FX and scripts killed it.
Love vincent from Black hole.
I could live with a tron remake if they cut out all the real world parts and stuck to the computer world
cant remember whish trek movies are good, might as well try to snag them all.

Have it On DVD, agree that it is bad, but worse than dark star? personal opinion i guess.

well, most monster movies scare me. I suppose this means I have a really good imagination, and that the writers did their homework. who want to stay up half the night armed and worrying that the squeak in the floor board is the dinner call of chthululu.
On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 19:47:41 -0600, "Tater Schuld"

I'm not surprised that a story about a teenage culture of computer hackers has attracted a following. I also understand that they can't put out a top notch video handbook on computer hacking. I struggled to the end to overlook the bad parts, but when they got to capsizing ships at sea by remote computer control, I lost any shred of respect for this turkey.

You're half right. ;)

I think Tron was the first movie to use extensive CGI. However, for me, The Last Starfighter is the first good SF movie to make extensive use of CGI.

28 Days is OK. It's kind of a zombie like flick, with stronger SF content. Time after Time is good, if you can stand a Jack the Ripper flick. On the humor side there is Ghost Busters, and Time Bandits (Don't touch it, it's pure evil!) For B movie bug flicks, I like the one where giant locusts attack Chicago.
Alan
On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 22:16:29 +0000, Alan Jones wrote:

If "extras" is the goal...the ultimate package has got to be the three expanded boxed-sets for the three "Lord of The Rings" films. In addition to almost an hour's worth of additional scenes in each film (The new scene "Sons of the Steward" in "The Two Towers" is worth the purchase price alone)...there are *hours* of additional documentary features; as well as four different audio commentary tracks on each film. Unlike most audio commentary tracks, these are actually very enjoyable; as *all* the participants were very informed on the source material; even the actors.

Agree completely with the above. "Flash Gordon" is embarassing. Sam Jones had to have all of his dialogue over-dubbed...he was such a no-talent. And *who* in their right mind likes Queen?
:o)

Perhaps...but it is still the only Jane Fonda film worth watching...especially with the sound turned down,
:o)~
--

Greg Heilers
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 05:48:32 GMT, Greg Heilers

Truly great films, but no rocket ships! All those extras remind me of "Bored of the Rings", or perhaps the critique of Mozart's music in Amadeus, "Too many notes."
Alan