movies i am buying - add to my shoping list!

Is that some sort of anime with a tiny fighting tree?

You should try Buckaroo Banzai, which is about a crimefighting master of all disciplines super duper guy cult movie classic.

Reply to
Tweak

Truly great films, but no rocket ships! All those extras remind me of "Bored of the Rings", or perhaps the critique of Mozart's music in Amadeus, "Too many notes."

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

I'm not surprised that a story about a teenage culture of computer hackers has attracted a following. I also understand that they can't put out a top notch video handbook on computer hacking. I struggled to the end to overlook the bad parts, but when they got to capsizing ships at sea by remote computer control, I lost any shred of respect for this turkey.

You're half right. ;)

I think Tron was the first movie to use extensive CGI. However, for me, The Last Starfighter is the first good SF movie to make extensive use of CGI.

28 Days is OK. It's kind of a zombie like flick, with stronger SF content. Time after Time is good, if you can stand a Jack the Ripper flick. On the humor side there is Ghost Busters, and Time Bandits (Don't touch it, it's pure evil!) For B movie bug flicks, I like the one where giant locusts attack Chicago.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

James,

I picked up "We Were Soldiers" a couple weeks ago on DVD while visiting Costco for $8.50. This is one of the most riveting films I can remember watching in a very long time. What a surpurb movie! It's not a movie about war, but rather it's about people involved in war from many different perspectives. For those of you who only saw the movie in a theater, renting the DVD and viewing the deleted scene of Col. Moore being de-briefed by Gen. Westmoreland and Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara is worth the rental itself. It puts a whole new light to McNamara's book "In Retrospect".

Great selection of movies. Dr. Strangelove is one of my favorites. It just shows how well written satire holds up over the years.

Tater, if you're into humorious Cohen brothers films, the "Big Lebowski" and "Oh Brother!" are first class in my book.

John

Reply to
Johnly

Oh, man... I tried it. Once. And that was once too many. I really mean no offense here, to each his own... but I have to say it. That movie absolutely sucked eggs on Sunday. One of the worst wastes of a 3 cent piece of plastic that was ever produced. That flick actually made "Hellboy" and "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" look good.

Perhaps it does belong in the category of "cult classic," for some folks. But it cannot be compared to true cult classics such as "Pulp Fiction," "Reservoir Dogs," or "Night of the Living Dead." THOSE are classics.

If you want to see a GOOD movie, go rent "We Were Soldiers." But be prepared... If you are between 45 and 65, or a more recent veteran, it's going to touch you. Deeply. Very deeply. Even if you aren't in that age bracket or a vet, see it. It's worth it.

Sorry guys... but Dang! Someone had to say it... 8^P

James

Reply to
James L. Marino

Absolutely, John. Absolutely.

Awarding "We Were Soldiers" the movie of the century would be selling it short.

James

Reply to
James L. Marino

Indeed, to each their own. However, I doubt we will see anything from those movies (or their ilk) insinuate themselves into popular culture or see fan clubs for those movies. No one will be debating their worth +20 years from now, either, if they are even remembered.

I was lost the first time I saw it, truth be told. Then I watched it with an interpreter and got it.

I'm a fanboy at heart, what can I say.

Not cult classics.

From Wikipedia: "A "cult classic" is a band/film/book that has a small number of devoted fans whose love of the material in question is hugely disproportionate to its general public acceptance."

I don't think the movies you list qualify, as those movies are "generally accepted" by the public.

I'd much rather watch Lithgow and Lloyd do the Bigboot-TAY! scene again. I'll go smash my thumb with a hammer if I want to cry.

Reply to
Tweak

BB is not great SF, but any good SF DVD collection should have some of the some of the oddball movies just to represent the genre more completely. One needs only to search RMR for references to "over thruster", "Yoyodyne Propulsion", and other key phrases to gauge its "cult" popularity. And of course the rocket car used a real rocket motor, not CGI. And amid all the silliness, it also has rocket ships!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

What do you mean? Seriously? Do you have an opening?

Tod "Home is where you hang your hat.." Hilty

Reply to
hiltyt

Tweak