movies i am buying - add to my shoping list!

@DONTSPAMhotmail.com says...

Is that some sort of anime with a tiny fighting tree?
You should try Buckaroo Banzai, which is about a crimefighting master of all disciplines super duper guy cult movie classic.
--
Tweak

Oh, man... I tried it. Once. And that was once too many. I really mean no offense here, to each his own... but I have to say it. That movie absolutely sucked eggs on Sunday. One of the worst wastes of a 3 cent piece of plastic that was ever produced. That flick actually made "Hellboy" and "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" look good.
Perhaps it does belong in the category of "cult classic," for some folks. But it cannot be compared to true cult classics such as "Pulp Fiction," "Reservoir Dogs," or "Night of the Living Dead." THOSE are classics.
If you want to see a GOOD movie, go rent "We Were Soldiers." But be prepared... If you are between 45 and 65, or a more recent veteran, it's going to touch you. Deeply. Very deeply. Even if you aren't in that age bracket or a vet, see it. It's worth it.
Sorry guys... but Dang! Someone had to say it... 8^P
James
says...

@DONTSPAMhotmail.com says...

Indeed, to each their own. However, I doubt we will see anything from those movies (or their ilk) insinuate themselves into popular culture or see fan clubs for those movies. No one will be debating their worth +20 years from now, either, if they are even remembered.
I was lost the first time I saw it, truth be told. Then I watched it with an interpreter and got it.
I'm a fanboy at heart, what can I say.

Not cult classics.
From Wikipedia: "A "cult classic" is a band/film/book that has a small number of devoted fans whose love of the material in question is hugely disproportionate to its general public acceptance."
I don't think the movies you list qualify, as those movies are "generally accepted" by the public.

I'd much rather watch Lithgow and Lloyd do the Bigboot-TAY! scene again. I'll go smash my thumb with a hammer if I want to cry.
--
Tweak
No matter where you go, there you are

BB is not great SF, but any good SF DVD collection should have some of the some of the oddball movies just to represent the genre more completely. One needs only to search RMR for references to "over thruster", "Yoyodyne Propulsion", and other key phrases to gauge its "cult" popularity. And of course the rocket car used a real rocket motor, not CGI. And amid all the silliness, it also has rocket ships!
Alan
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:09:57 -0500, Tweak

What do you mean? Seriously? Do you have an opening?
<g>
Tod "Home is where you hang your hat.." Hilty
--
Tod A. Hilty
Hilty Information Systems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanboy
--
Tweak

Scanned thru the suggestions so far, some of my favorites that I haven't seen listed yet:
THX1138 Life of Brian (Criterion Collection) Brazil (Criterion Collection)
GC
I'm not much for British humor, but "Life of Brian" was a hoot!
Since Tater has expanded the specs for selections, I have to toss in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," and "We Were Soldiers." Both of those touched me deep. The latter, very much so.
And if you like westerns, you might consider "Quigley Down Under." Great "hero riding to the rescue" flick. I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I did. And I WANT that Sharp's rifle!!!! (If there are any rich guys reading this, my birthday is in October!)
My $.02, and worth every penny.
James

seen listed yet:

James,
I picked up "We Were Soldiers" a couple weeks ago on DVD while visiting Costco for $8.50. This is one of the most riveting films I can remember watching in a very long time. What a surpurb movie! It's not a movie about war, but rather it's about people involved in war from many different perspectives. For those of you who only saw the movie in a theater, renting the DVD and viewing the deleted scene of Col. Moore being de-briefed by Gen. Westmoreland and Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara is worth the rental itself. It puts a whole new light to McNamara's book "In Retrospect".
Great selection of movies. Dr. Strangelove is one of my favorites. It just shows how well written satire holds up over the years.
Tater, if you're into humorious Cohen brothers films, the "Big Lebowski" and "Oh Brother!" are first class in my book.
John
Absolutely, John. Absolutely.
Awarding "We Were Soldiers" the movie of the century would be selling it short.
James