New Aerotech F20 Econo's - Kudo's

They didn't count it a CATO, but I had a flight fail after an (old) F20's ejection charge largely leaked out before flight (not being experienced with the things, I didn't realize the little bit of powder I saw come out was most of the charge.

Scott Orr

Reply to
Scott D. Orr

It's your track record, Jerry, and not just with S&T. I don't have to tell you that.

Scott Orr

Reply to
Scott D. Orr

Oh, like having perhaps the first certified motors with Tripoli, being the first for a couple of years to actually pay my cert fees at TRA? Like having certified motors with NAR for decades?

Give me a break. You may not kike my rmr posts much and I can assure you Brucie and Bunny like them even less, but this whole practice of motor decertification after they are already approved for many years and refusing renewal certs and refusing any and all efforts at new certs is just bad form. Some might call it restraint of trade.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

More like cheating customers--but I'm not gonna argue thet point, because I wasn't there and didn't witness it firsthand.

I'm sure there are a lot of people on r.m.r. who are newbies to rocketry and wonder why no one listens to you on here, though.

Scott Orr

Reply to
Scott D. Orr

So in other words you are willing to spread a baseless rumour and then walk away on the claim you might not know "for sure".

That sir is FUD.

You sir suck and went into the litigation file.

*plonk*
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Who are you NOT suing?

Scott Orr

Reply to
Scott D. Orr

If you'd like to try that, let me note some facts about libel and slander law. First of all, to prove either you have to prove that the statement is false--and given how vague my statement was, that would be difficult, if you've _ever_ cheated anyone. Second, you _also_ have to prove that I was negligent about the truth in making the statement (if you're a normal person) or that I had malicious intent in making it (if you're a public figure, which you arguably are in the rocket community).

The fact is, you don't have a legal leg to stand on. You try it, and the judge is not only going to throw it out of court, but will probably charge you for my attorney's fees, and then I'll countersue you for besmirching my reputation.

I have an inkling however that you know most if not all of this already, and that you've been counting on other people's ignorance of the law to allow you to suppress discussion of your past activities.

Scott Orr

Reply to
Scott D. Orr

So what was your intent?

Discussion is one thing... propagating hearsay in a maliciously-selected manner is another.

If someone said "I ordered a kit from Jerry - it took a long time to arrive. The wood parts seemed kind of thin and the tubes had some storage stains, but the nosecone was quite nice," that's one thing.

But if I run around telling everybody, "You know, someone told me that they heard that Jerry always his customers", that's something quite different. That's just trying to spread nasty rumors.

(It's understandable that Jerry might be a little touchy about that sort of thing, don't you think?)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Yes, I think it's important that we all understand our rights to free speech under the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Let me add to what I said before that not only would you have to demonstrate both falsehood and intent, but that even if you improbably were able to do this, you'd ALSO also have to prove damages--that is you'd have to demonstrate, through interviews of customers or some method of estimation (probably involving an expert witness whose fees would be more than any damages you could prove), that I was able to influence a certain number of customers not to buy your products, or that my remarks had some influence on the various certification boards (hah!). I doubt you can demonstrate $100 of damage (especially since this was a discussion about why you had certification problems, not a discussion of your products), let alone enough to pay for your legal costs.

Jerry, I dislike dishonesty more than anything else, which is why I spoke up. I also dislike intimidation. It should go without saying that I REALLY dislike dishonest means of initimidation. If you want to defend your reputation, defend it straight-up in some public forum like this one (better yet, if you've done some things you might have reason to regret, apologize for them and convince everyone you've decided not to sin again). I mean, really, who's going to believe you when the only way you can do it is by suing people who say bad things about you?

Scott Orr

Reply to
Scott D. Orr

Like court.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

No, court is not a "forum". Look up the word in the dictionary.

Scott Orr

Reply to
Scott D. Orr

"Scott D. Orr" wrote: some deleted

Scott, Don't sweat it. Jerry has threatened to sue a lot of us at one time or another. My reply has always been "LET'S GET IT ON!" ;-)

Mark Simpson

Someone in another hobby made similar claims, and actually followed suit. He coerced two people to settle out of court; the others fought him, and he has lost miserably.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

That statement has litlte or no meaning, and so I can't divine whether or not I disagree with it.

If this is a real judge and not your brother-in-law in a black bathrobe, no.

Scott Orr

Reply to
Scott D. Orr