New poster - Estes SV paper wrap help needed

After a 29 year hiatus I am building a rocket again. Unlike in my youth I will be able to fly this puppy. I'm currently building an Estes 30th anniversary Saturn V. So far so good. The dreaded wraps have proven to be less of a problem that I anticipated thanks to the thin CA wicking technique which works like a dream.

My only problem now is the LM/SM stage wrap. It was a bear to fit properly but I did manage. The finished result looks ok but there are some slight creases that simply will not smooth out and paint is bound to make them very visible. Plus this is just very fragile paper. If I had it to do again I'd get some sheet styrene and us it in place of the paper wrap.

So at this point what can be done to make the paper more rigid? I could cover it in thin CA but it is damn hard to get a smooth finish that way especially as the paper has a finish to it. I don't have a pattern now for the wrap anyway. I may try making one from scratch using a compass but I'm lazy. For now I think I'd prefer just reinforcing the paper and if that fails I may have to resort to very thin mil sheet styrene.

I can easily see the paper wrap getting severe recovery rash unless I strengthen it. Interested in other builders ideas.

Regards, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook©®

Paul, if you want to replace the shroud, download a copy of VCP at

With VCP, you can print out transition shrouds directly to cardstock, and cut them out with scissors. You can probably print out the LEM shroud on one sheet. Just enter the front diameter, rear diam., and shroud length, and you're done.

Now, whether you replace it or not, thin CA will definitely help to toughen up the shroud. Apply liberally and wipe up the excess quickly with paper towels, to prevent drips from sitting around too long and hardening. If you keep the existing shroud and the CA won't penetrate the glossy surface, punch a small hole in one spot and squirt CA in there, and shake it around to coat the inside. Watch the fumes, they're unbelievably nasty when you coat with CA.

Finally, you could fill the shroud with some expanding foam, but that's really overkill and only necessary if you're up-powering to a "G" or more. Since you didn't mention doing this I assume you're going to stick with a stock 24mm motor mount. If you do, I'd advise NOT to fly it with D12-3's unless you are certain that you've built it light. Most people build heavy, and the Saturn V won't fly on a D12-3 unless you've taken great care to be frugal with glue, primer and paint. If your completed V weighs under

12 ounces, chutes and all, and you have a 48" or longer launch rod you should be fine. But otherwise, seriously consider flying it on an Aerotech E15-4 instead.

These are just my opinions, your mileage may vary, etc.

p.s. Welcome back!

"Paul M. Cook©®" wrote:

Reply to
BB

Welcome back!

Sure, pick an elementary one to ease back into it....:-)

I could

that way

I coated mine with CA, which made it nicely stiff. That's the base. Then I used a filling compound (Fill n' Finish or some other light, sandable filler) diluted a bit, as a topping compound. Worked well. YMMV

--tc

Reply to
Ted Cochran

Welcome back!

Even better, anyone building this kit should make copies of the wraps before building it.

Precisely my point.

Go to the EMRR site:

and read away. (I think that's right)

Good luck, Randy

Reply to
Randy

Thanks for the advice.

I tried the CA coating on the wrap and it turned out as bad as I expected. I'm simply no good at it. And when that CA kicks off - holy cow. My sinuses are suffering today. But no bother cuz that nifty VCP program made me an exact template. I cut it out, taped it together and it fit like the proverbial glove. So tonight I'll transfer it to sheet styrene and I should have a dandy transition wrap. Hmmm, should I scribe lines for the 4 cloverleaf panels that comprised the real thing? Call me fussy but it's amazing how small details can really make the difference.

I did some googling and found a guy who has molded the fairings as well as a one piece CSM and escape tower. I think I'll splurge and get a set, use the Estes parts for display and make the CSM and tower removable for flight. I just cannot see those flimsy fins not getting torn off during takeoff or landing.

So far so good. I'm finding the Estes kit to be fun and mostly easy to work with. Although some of their design techniques leave a tad to be desired IMO. I've done some modeling before, mostly airplanes, so I'm used to improvising. All in all though this kit is nicer than the Centuri version I attempted to build at the age of 13. Nice to see it back again.

Does the recommended E15-4 have the same length as the D12-3 motor or will I have to make adjustments?

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook©®

You can get Odourless CA. A popular brand of this is UFO, but every CA product line has one. Odourless CA is sometimes sold as platic safe CA, because the same chemicals that burn your eyes desolve some plastics. I pretty much use it for everything now.

Shawn Switenky

Reply to
Shawn Switenky