Paper cowlings

A friend who worked at the LHS told me he had made cowlings out of paper towels and carpenters' glue. After a number of years and my friend had passed away, I decided to give his technique a try.

The procedure is rather simple. Let me describe how I did it according to my friend's instructions. I experimented with a glass dope bottle by layering the bottle with cling wrap, taping it down snugly. Then applied a thin layer of glue on top of the cling wrap. I carefully laid the first layer of paper toweling, stroking it down with my fingers. Satisfied the toweling conformed to the contours of the bottle, a second layer was applied, followed with a third, until the final fifth layer was applied.

That's it. It was done. Light as a feather. The only drawback is that it has to cure overnight.

When the glue and paper had cured, I sanded the molding and on the first spray coating, it was done. The finish is shiny, no filler, no second coat of paint.

I thought I would pass it along, Wan

Reply to
wan

Andrew

Better is to use brown parcel paper than paper towels

You don't even need to use PVA..corn starch will do it, or wallpaper paste.

Its called 'papier mache'

Its precisely the same as laying up a glass fibre cowl, except that its heavier and not as strong. And doesn't smell so bad.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I have thought about paper mache, when newspapers were cut into strips and either corn starch or thinned paste was used. But paper mache is rather rough and not as strong as the stuff I used for the experiment.

Fiberglass cowls have been around a long time, but if done right, may cure in about an hour. However, the technique by my friend, I believe with the selection of a better grade of paper with fiber, it can be as strong and lighter than fiberglass. I could not tear the mold I made apart.

Please keep in mind this may not be new and others have used the technique. The mold I made is pretty thin and though strong, it still flexes. It has applications in smaller models and if larger planes come into the equation, modifications to the method may be needed.

Still, it's worth trying it out. I will use that procedure in repair. Sure beats having to sand so much.

Thanks for your interest, Wan

Reply to
wan

I saw an article on how to do this in the current issue of one of the model magazines, sorry I don't remember which one. Probably either Model Aviation or Model Airplane news.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Smega