Now Almanacs are dangerous

Just because I don't know where I am, where I'm going, or how to get there, doesn't mean I'm lost.

Reply to
Christopher Deem

You really can "get there, from here". :)

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Would you care to elaborate...

We could always go to 165 candidates.

But the best I heard was some small community (town, county, don't know exactly) that lists "None of the Above" on the ballot for every office. If NOTA gets the plurality of votes, the office is left unfilled for the term.

Bob Kaplow

It seems to me this is precisely the attitude that produces so much paranoia and over-reaction in the government. In order for the government should know who all the terrorists are and what they are going to do before they do it, they'd have to do many of the things you are complaining about now (suspicion of anyone carrying almanacs, photographing trains, etc; spying on citizens; etc.)

Could the government have done more to catch the 9/11 terrorists before hand? Perhaps. But in general, bad people with determination are going to do bad things, and a free society has to accept that freedom comes with certain risks. Constitutionally, our laws are supposed to be geared more toward punishing those who commit crimes rather than trying to prevent them.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Jerry,

There's all sorts of conspiracy theories going around about Flight 93. A quick Google will show these:

  • There weren't any passengers on board.
  • The plane was remote controlled.
  • The planes were taken over by Mossad
  • The plane was shot down by the US military.
  • The FBI knew 9/11 was coming and did nothing to prevent it so that we would go to war.
  • The FBI blamed anyone who happened to have an Arabic name, but the Arabs were from countries friendly to us, and weren't involved in the attacks.

Did folks screw up pre - 9/11? Certainly. Could things have been done better? Also certainly.

But the conspiracy theories are wrong. I saw it first hand. But I was part of a crime scene investigation, so I won't talk about it.

The real mystery is that I was given clearance by the FBI in the first place.

See, one of the defining moments in my life was when I ratted out friends and co-workers and supervisors for doing wrong. It cost me a job, friends, and some nasty holes in my stomach and esophagus. It sucked big time. There's people that still hate my guts. It still screws with my head.

I learned that I would do the right thing, no matter how much it hurt. I also learned to gather more evidence next time.

That makes me a very dangerous person if you're running a cover-up.

The FBI knew that when they cleared me. Heck, at lunch under the Red Cross tent, more than a few agents asked me to tell the whole story, including what it felt like.

The FBI knew and they didn't care.

You know why? Everyone else there was the same way, except they'd have enjoyed exposing the conspiracy instead of having flashbacks. We're talking people who's fictional heroes are Mulder, Scully, Kay Scarpetta, and Temperance Brennan.

Never in my life have I worked with a better group of people. God willing, I never will again. Twice is twice too many.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

They could have been identified 24 hours in advance. It wouldn't be hard.

First step, suspend the Constitution....

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Yep. That's what Kritchcow told Mulder, then FEMA takes over and Cancer Man becomes Fearless Leader!

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Moose and sqirrel?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Meh he he! But of course! Then we will let loose Hanta virus, using metal munching mice!

Randy

Reply to
Randy

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

This one has elements of truth. Pre-facto and post-facto giving it unstoppable credence no matter how silly the premise.

God bless you.

Ditto.

Snip nothing. You sir deserve respect. You have mine. Anon or not!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The least desired canidate won because the vote was split on the other 2 canidates.

Was Davis in the election? We had the least popular guy in office, the 'other party' and a libertarian split the vote such that the incumbent won. Really put a damper on my view of the electoral system.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

The problem is people realize they DO those things and now expect results! The lack of results is evidence the price of giving away rights is too high even on non-theological grounds!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I'll second that.

In the tradition of Corn Field County: SAAAAAAA - LUTE!

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Good for you. It was also in the papers. Pictures of all 19 hijackers plus the name of the 20th suspected one. The day after that they announced finding pristine Arabic documents outlining their plan in the crater amongst the vaporized aluminum. Weird, eh?

It's easily proven. Within 48 hours they claimed to have found passports in the WTC debris. Again, very weird.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook©®

If conspiracy theories abound the misadministration can only blame themselves. To date they have stonewalled the investigation every step of the way, refused to fund it, tried to put Kissinger in charge of it - I could go on. We wouldn't be arguing CTs if the Bushes et al would not produce such an air of secrecy. To date their has not been a full investigation of 9-11. To date they have spent 1/6th the amount investigating 9-11 than they spent investigating Clinton. The FBI claims to have no time to spare what with waging the war on terrorism yet they have ample time to prosecute medical marijuana users and Greenpeace. So in that kind of climate CTs are bound to thrive. And you have to admit there is plenty of fuel for them. The string of once in a lifetime lucky breaks like finding a passport at the site of the WTC or a Boeing flight manual in a car supposedly rented by the hijackers. The list is just too long.

There isn't a damned thing wrong with healthy suspicion. Nothing. There are those that would say otherwise but one only look at who they are to question their motives. Seems those that have the most to lose are the ones screaming CT the loudest.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook©®

Point!

Jerry

"Claremont is the intellectual capital of the world."

- The Wall Street Journal

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

To bad you live in San dimas.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Obviously: "Los Angeles is NOT the intellectual capital of the world."

- Jerry Irvine

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Neither are the Claremont Colleges. You have to see it to believe it.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook©®