That darn Magnesium again...

Needs to be outlawed. Just look at how dangerous it is...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

"Fire Breaks Out At Magnesium Recycling Plant"...

oops.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

You think that's dangerous. Check out the worst environmental disaster:

Bob Kaplow

Flash Flood at Alka-Seltzer plant...

Bob Kaplow

Water?...yep, dangerous stuff.

Mike Fisher

Reply to
Mfreptiles

Aloha, I used to work at Dow Magnesium works in Denver. We were absolutely paranoid about fire. We would also take handfuls out of the shop for getting campfires started in a hurry.

Larry

Reply to
AkaZilla

.......and there goes the population of sea gulls! :-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Yes. Scout shops sell magnesium bars with embedded flint rod for the very purpose. Takes a while to grind off the flint though, so I include a short medium grade rasp with the kits I give to the young men...

~ Duane Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

Oops... should be "... grind off the magnesium"... Try to use as little of the flint as possible... it rarely outlives the bar...

~ Duane Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote in news:CcAzinag4F21 @eisner.encompasserve.org:

Actually I did, and I drank part of a fizzy (lemon-lime) in the mid 80's that were left over from my dad's grocery store. I had no idea at the time that they were 20 years old... or that they caused cancer. Good thing I only took a sip, it sort of tasted like Alka-Seltzer to me. I'm not sure if the taste was because of the age, or how they really are supposed to taste.

Twenty years old and it still fizzed! Impressive!

Reply to
BrundlFly

"Duane Phillips" wrote in news:o9uIb.701548$Tr4.1766545@attbi_s03:

Pine cones are great for starting campfires quickly;they have lots of pine resins (turpentines?)that burn hot.

They're free,and commmonly available on location.

Of course,magnesium is much 'cooler',or hi-tech.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

They do not cause cancer.

Cyclamates are safer than Saccharin.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

It's much more interesting to ask the scout to pour a some water in the center of the lay and have it catch fire.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I had more than my share of Fizzies and drank the first release of Gator Aid like there was no tomorrow and have ever since. That was all 40+ years ago until today. No cancer, not even heart burn.

It could explain the 5 kids though. ; )

Randy P.S. Did anyone here ever get the Kellogg baking soda submarine for 2 box tops? Man I hated waiting for 6 weeks.

Reply to
Randy

I know I had Fizzies as a kid, but don't remember anything about what they tasted like. The original Gatoraid was disgusting. It wasn't until recently that I tried it again and found the new flavors to be drinkable. A friend recently hit on the formula for which Gatoraid flavors are OK: RED.

Bob Kaplow

Nope, never got the "x-ray" specs either. But once I ordered the "no batteries needed" walkie talkies from the back of a comic book. Was severely disappointed to find that it was just a slightly fancy version of "two cans and a string".

BTW, one of my favorite "Calvin and Hobbes" series was when Calvin saves up a bunch of box tops to get a propeller beanie. Then agonizes through six long weeks (an eternity for a child!), gives up hope, and finally gets the beanie in the mail. Upon attempting to assemble it, he promptly breaks the propeller!

Then his dad fixes it for him, and the real disappointment hits: Propeller beanies don't actually permit the wearer to fly.

Calvin: "What's the point of a propeller beanie if you can't use it to fly??!!"

Hobbes: "Obviously not fashion."

Reply to
RayDunakin

What happened to the old standard, Scout water?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Banned with songs like God Bless America and Mom Wash My Underware.

Joel. phx

Not to mention the Michael Jackson legal team required to take one to the restroom. Heaven forbid they should use a tree......

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Er, "scout water" was a reference to flamable liquids used by lazy scouts to get a camp fire going.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Obviously. I spend more time un-learning things from 'the good ole days' as a scout than real leader training..

Never mind those 2 fire extinguishers, you must have a bucket of sand and a bucket of water next to each campfire.

Joel. phx

Some cool opening ceremonies with happy chemistry,....

Reply to
Joel Corwith