Now I wonder about going to LDRS

If you say so :-)

I've been a member of one or more international technical standards bodies for most of the last decade, which requires frequent travel (every 4 or 5 weeks). Roughly 90% of the trips I take are to the U.S., since the standards bodies tend to meet mostly in the U.S., with occasional concessions to non-U.S. participants. So I've built up a "profile" of "normal" behaviour of U.S. customs and imigration--I have a good intuitive feel for when their behaviour is a few sigma away from the "norm". On this occasion, I was badgered repeatedly over the fact that I had a lot of U.S. stamps in my passport, which according to the customs agent meant that I was working illegally in the U.S., and all she had to do was badger me until I admitted it, or lost my cool and became belligerent-- either way she could deny entry. I calmy stuck to my (utterly true) story, over, and over and over again. She eventually let me go, but I suspect that I was within epsilon of getting bumped to "higher interrogation authority". No, they didn't strip search me or do a body-cavity search, but the behaviour of the agent was far enough away from "normal" that I categorize it as harrassment.

Reply to
Marcus Leech

LMFAO!!!!

Reply to
Gene

Marcus,

So what does this have to do with LDRS?

Besides the fact that most other Canadians attending LDRS will not likely have your travel history, any issue should be with crossing the border, not about going to LDRS. It's like using a headline that says "Man Killed by SUV". No, the man was killed by someone driving the SUV. Likewise when you title the subject "Now I wonder about going to LDRS" you distort the issue.

That said... maybe you hit the threshold of the number of times you could enter the US for the year? Unless you have a green card you can't just keep crossing the border an unlimited number of times. You do know that every time you cross into the US, your lic plate # is punched in the computer & recorded? They probbaly already knew what they were going to ask you before you even rolled your window down. Also I'd like to point out that "working illegally" in the US now falls under the Dept of Homeland Security's (DHS) bureau - U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) (formerly NIS),... NOT the Dept of Justice/John Ashcroft - who you mistakenly wondered about giving secret directives to harrass Canadians. If you feel the need to place blame - Secretary Tom Ridge is the head of the DHS.

Again... I hardly classify that as harrassment. Remember... it's a privledge to enter the US, not a right (and I expect the same with Canada). There does not have to be a reason to deny you entry... and personally I wouldn't give them one by making public complaints on rmr. ;)

Doug BRS Inc - Secretary LDRS 23 - Web Manager

Reply to
Rocketweb

Agreed 1000%. This is exactly what the JBGTs are doing to us and our hobby.

But the situation in question was crossing the border between the US and Canada. Carrying a gallon ziploc full of pills is bound to raise some suspicion.

BTW, I used to live on tylenol sinus (the green ones) for my sinus headaches. But the doctor tells me that same decongestant is bad for my blood pressure and to avoid OTC medications containing decongestants. So I don't use them any more, unless I have a really bad cold.

Bob Kaplow

I agree. Capital punishment.

Bob Kaplow

Perhaps lawmakers that create unconstitutional laws should be arrested, tried, and jailed. For starters, lets go after Hatch, Kohl, and Ashcroft.

Bob Kaplow

I've made one trip through Canada (at least as an adult), on the way back from NARAM-43. On the way in, they wnated to know if we had any guns (nope, and the rocket motors had taken a different car home). On the way home, they wanted to know what we bought (nothing but lunch/dinner).

Bob Kaplow

JOHN ASHCROFT AND THE 'SPIRIT OF JUSTICE' By Tom Paxton (From an idea furnished by Anne Hills)

John Ashcroft went to meet the press He faced the microphones. His heart was full of righteousness His voice like God's trombones. But then he saw the statue That was set behind him there. She was 'The Spirit of Justice' Yes, but one of her breasts was bare.

John Ashcroft looked with horror At this gleaming marble globe. It thrust itself upon him From a loosely falling robe. It was so hard to concentrate On those he there accused With that marble breast behind him, Poor John Ashcroft got confused.

Each time he saw that marble breast The poor man was appalled, He quickly gave the order And a curtain was installed. Now when he makes a statement You can see him on the tube He has curtained off the statue But you'll still see one big boob.

©2002 Pax Music, ASCAP

Bob Kaplow

I must have missed the part where Ashcroft was a lawmaker. I thought he lost that race.

- Rick "To a corpse" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

For an appointed loser, he sure seems to be making a lot of law...

Bob Kaplow