Now I wonder about going to LDRS

Check this out:

I was recently harrassed by U.S. Customs for no apparent reason, on one of my very-frequent business trips to the U.S. I'm now vaguely uneasy about travelling to the U.S. for LDRS.

I wonder now about a secret Ashcroft directive to harrass Canadians, sent to law enforcement and border-control agencies...

Reply to
Marcus Leech

I cannot believe this.

We still allow Canadians to cross the boarder?

Joel. phx

;)

Reply to
Joel. Corwith

I don't buy it...

Bad Hollywood movies involve Bad Hollywood policeman. The NYPD ain't Bad Hollywood cops.For one second.

That's not to say they can't have some element of humanity and I say that to stave off anyone who wants to say "Amadou Diallo" first. There, I said it.

I'm absolutely NOT anti-Canadian either (my 2nd wife was a Torontonian). The OPP was never very nice to me once they heard my "drawl" (happened twice) but since I'm not a rabel, a big mouth, do drugs or get intoxicated beyond repair in public, I had and have nothing to worry about. Did I like it and did they treat me like a circus act? No and yes. They were just doing their job, far as I see it. Besides if they thought I was a circus act, they should get out of the house more (and go to Yonge Street.)

I'd love to know the REAL story because I can't say that these characters were doing their job. They should be fired, drawn and quartered if it were true. IF it were true.

Tell you what. How many people who have organic gardens DON'T smoke weed? Overgeneraliztion? Maybe but so, but so are NYPD "cowboys".

Now if you wanna talk about a-hole cowboy attorneys, we could sit around and enjoy a few Molsons whilst we pan those jerks.

Gene

P.S. I've been harrassed by US Customs coming over the border, too. Several times. They're wannabes.

One maroon was gonna slap the cuffs on me during a "stop". His superior asked - aloud - if I had any drugs or weapons in my car. I told him I did not. He asked me if I had any PRESCRIPTION drugs in may car. I told him I did not.

They rifled through my car, briefcase, FiloFax, you name it.

Then, Kojak pulls out a 1 quart Ziplock bag out of my suitcase, loudly crooning, "Oooooh, whaaat's THHHHIIIIS?"

It was Tylenol Sinus.

I was gone in about 45 seconds thereafter.

Gene

You had a *quart* of Tylenol Sinus on you? Some sort of an addiction there Gene-O?

Ran into sorta the same thing at NASA Glenn Research Center. Was there for a tour with a group of Middle School kids (my son included). Stopped at the gate by security, and made to pull into an adjoining parking lot.

Guy tears his way through my "just cleaned" GEO Tracker, and somehow turns up an _expended_ C6-5 _under_ the back carpet.

GASP! FREAKIN' IMAGINE FINDING AN EXPENDED MODEL ROCKET MOTOR IN *MY* CAR!!

Absolutely unbelievable.

I explained that that was one of the reasons we were there to see the Visitor's Center. Duh. You know... NASA? Rockets? We're rocket freaks? He was not amused.

How the hell I missed that motor casing, I'll never know.

All that, _THEN_ he tells us that the Visitor's Center was closed due to National Security Concerns.

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

I went to the Kennedy Space Center last week and after a airline security type search, proceeded to the Visitor Center Shop and they had C11 Estes motors stacked next to one fine collection of Saturn V's for a visitor deal of $129.00! So they pry weren't looking for rocket motors, or if they were, a would-be terrorist would pry be wise to bring a Visa card and buy motors after the security check.

Not sure what you would do with them, maybe make a shoe bomb and burn off your toe or something in the Imax Theater.

Reply to
Chuck Kremer

The decongestant in this and many other medications is used in the manufacturer of illegal drugs. These days most stores limit you to 2-3 packs of OTC medications containing decongestants. Id recommend you keep medications in their original packaging, and stick to a reasonable quantity for personal use when crossing borders.

Bob Kaplow

And I'd recommend that people stand up for their damn rights!!!

I'm so sick of this nonsense, that because somebody CAN use something legitimate for an illegitimate purpose, that everybody must pay the price!!!

My wife lives on Sudafed when she has a cold. That stuff isn't particularly cheap, and so when it's on sale, I stock up. However, if I go into the store and buy more than three, I'm told I'm committing a crime, and they can't let me do it.

Here's what's so ludicrous -- if I buy three, then get back in line and buy three more, I'm legal.

Also, buying three packs of 12 capsules is treated the same as buying three packs of 24 or 48 capsules (hmmmm....).

WHY, OH WHY, don't we just punish people who commit the crime of MANUFACTURING ILLEGAL DRUGS, instead of punishing people who are using them for legitimate and legal purposes.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Frankly, I think we should punish the folks who make the laws which punish the innocent.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

making laws that effect only criminals don't let the normal folks see that government is doing anything. the perception is nothing is being done, since they don't see it.

if they make rules that effect normal folks, then boy goerge, things are being done to clean up this town.

perception is reality. took me a long time to figure it out.

Reply to
almax

Almax, you really are lost....

If you are working the checkout at Safeway (probably as a bag boy), and someone buys 20 packs of Sudafed, would your reaction be "gee... That's a bad cold!" or "Hey, this is the stuff they use to make meth! Hey buddy, you a tweaker? Don't cook it near me!"

Probably neither. You'll be looking at the checker's butt.

Reply to
AZ Woody

Ah, Yonge Street. Where the weirdos run like water at Niagra falls...

I'd also like the real story. The Ottawa Citizen is a reasonably reputable paper, and I doubt that they'd allow themselves to be trivially duped.

Well, my wife and I do the organic gardening thing from time to time, and neither of us smoke dope, or even drink. I own a home, pay my taxes, raise three children, and hold a respectable job with a major telecom equipment vendor. I've never been arrested for anything, and hold what *some* would call conservative political views. Oh, there's the small fact that I've sported a ponytail for most of the last 20 years, and a bit of a goatee for most of the last 5. So perhaps the next time I'm in NY, I can excuse the local constabulary for assaulting me for no apparent reason? "Gee, he looks like a dope smoker, let's beat the crap out of him, just in case..."

I don't doubt that there are elements to this story that haven't been told, to make it seem sensational. But if even *most* of the facts are correct, I'd say that NYC owes these folks an apology.

I've had my fill of a-hole lawyers, thankyou very much. I spent five years in civil litigation hell. My wife (bless her, bless her, bless her), finally convinced me that the other side was a freight train that was utterly determined to destroy me, so I used a load of money I didn't have to buy my way into a discontinuance.

Having viewed the "justice" system from the inside, I hope like hell that I never find myself in a criminal court on the defending side. It is about as corrupt and unjust as they come...

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Really ? lost huh ?

do you want to know I worked in criminal justice ? where do you think I learned perception is reality ?

send me an email address that works, I'll send you mine that works on the yahoo forum you post on.

Reply to
almax

NOW you're talking!!!

Like Rocket Motors!?!

Excellent...! Summed up my belief system to a 'T'.

While we're at it, let's periodically re-check the validity of what constitutes 'ILLEGAL'!

Dang... just when it was just getting good!!! ;)

Reply to
Mark

You're really lost dude.... Get a grip.

In the mean time, please meet the VERY few others in my killfile from 5 years on RMR.

You get boxed in by your own words and throw a hissy fit!

Reply to
AZ Woody

MY reaction is that it's nobody's damn business how much someone buys of something that is legal. Next you'll be saying LEUPs should be required for people who buy a sack of fertilizer.

Reply to
RayDunakin

OTOH, if you are making a special trip to Canada to buy medications, you probably want to buy about a years supply, depending on shelf life, etc.

Reply to
Alan Jones

I think it was Vern Estes.;)

I really want a COX SaturnV or 1B with a plastic finish, in the 38mm class. $129.00 would seem about right.

Want to start a biznus?

Reply to
Chuck Kremer

I'm sure. Maybe it's just me, but it's hard for me to digest most of what is in print nowadays. I imagine a reputable paper in a capital city tries to be on the up-and-up.

Concurred. Anytime I wear a HD T, I always get the corner of the eye looks, probably via my PT and goatee, too. Even get asked if I "ride". By a female NYPD patrolperson once even.

Sheesh, sounds like if you and I hook up at LDRS, Andy and Barney'd have we longhair types in the hoosegow, dare I say, in a NY minute? :-)>

And a few a few loonies for their hassle. I'd LOOOOOVE to be a fly on the wall when those hotshots have their moment with their administrators (given, if it were true).

Ouch!

Ditto. I imagine I shouldn't seem so haughty since NYC invented graft.

Reply to
Gene

I've only seen the Cox version in old catalogs and they looked great but I don't know about flying one. The only Cox rocket I have is the X-15. I flew it once, that was enough.

The bt of the Cox X-15 is just too small to deploy the chute regardless of the delay length. We used a B6-4 the one and only time and on a wind less day. It came right back down on the pad. I mean it hit the pad from a couple hundred feet up. It sounded like a shotgun blast.

The Saturn should have a larger area for the chute so it may fly just fine. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone on rmr ever flying one.

You are right about the looks though. Nice looking bird.

Randy

Reply to
Randy