On-Board Video of Paper M powered rocket that does not spin

The Speed Of LOC The Power Of Cesaroni

See the video at:

Many of you have followed this year, the BoosterVision LOC Bruiser EXP 4 that I built has not been spinning on most motors that I have used. I mostly have been using CTI Pro motors, mostly.

I've done so because they seem to have produced the least amount of spin. I've flown quite a few C-slot burners in smaller rockets and they have spun like a dryer.

I posted my plans to fly the M520 moon burner about 5 months ago, and many felt, that like C-slots, they would spin. I thought so also.

Well, I have to tell you; the rocket burned for 14 seconds and flew for a total of 30 seconds flight time. I had a complete conversation while the rocket was under thrust.

And , for that complete 30 seconds of flight time the rocket only rotated less then 200 degrees. No spin, just a slight rotation on a windy day.

I'm sold on the M520, and LOC's Paper Rockets built for the Speed Of LOC !

See the video at:

Art Upton K8XG

ArtU

Has the camera remained in the same position every flight, or has it been removed/moved between flights? A slight variation in alignment of the camera can account for spin.

Also, in my experience the more aggressive the motor, the more likely it is that the rocket will spin. So I would expect a slow, long burning motor like the M520 to produce very little spin.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Hi Ray,

Its been mounted in the same spot for each flight. Just sticking out in the wind, no shroud of any kind.

I"v found on rockets with fins that are not aligned in a jig, that fast burn motors make the rocket spin fast, and slower burn motors less so but over a longer period of time.

However, on rockets with jig aligned fins, I have a 4" rocket that rotates slowly once on a CTI 4 grain Pro38 but on an Ellis J228 C-Slot, spins like a dryer.

I've had many speculate the offset thrust from some engines causes the effect.

On rockets with aligned fin cans, it seems that fast burn motors cause less spin then slow burns, due to offset thrust.

That's why I'm pleasantly surprised with the CTI M520 Moon Burner producing a nice straight flight !

Art

Reply to
ArtU

It seems to me that if the fins are perfectly aligned, offset thrust would cause the rocket to curve, not spin. Maybe you should try aligning the slot directly in line with a fin?

(This is theory of course, I'm not trying to argue with your direct observations!)

Reply to
David

Check out what Brittain did to stop the roll on camera flights:

Chad L. Ellis