(OT)military service??

} Anyone have experience with the military? looks like my country is going to } draft me very soon (my country's got those military requirements... ) how is } it? I know I get to play with some very evvil firearms but what else is } there other than obeying the officers? }

Since you're being drafted, you're not from the US, and so my experience isn't likely to help much.

One thing I've noticed: people usually claim to have hated being in it, but many of those same people, if asked, will tell you it's the best thing they ever did and wouldn't change it if they could.

I had a hard time, because I was facing being drafted (draft lottery #2 in 1971) into the army of a country that had killed many of my (Native American) ancestors. I asked my elder how I could dance before my enemy's flag. He said "There is no dishonor in dancing before your enemy's flag. The dishonor is in dancing badly."

I still burned my draft card because I didn't believe in the draft. I enlisted the same week.

Reply to
Doktor DynaSoar

I get the impression that military service in countries where it is universal is likely to be a bit different than in the US. In any case, since a large portion of military training MUST be conitioning to get soldiers to instantly obey orders than might get them killed, I wouldn't expect it to be pleasant.

BillW

Reply to
Bill Westfield

I believe they condition you to instantly obey orders so you don't get killed. Solders are not supposed to die for their country, they're supposed to make the other guy die for his.

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue
16 years Royal Australian Navy as an Weapon systems tech and 4 years Australian Army as Infantry....

Had heaps of fun and drank lots of Beers. Just remeber it is a serious job. Keep your sense of humour and remain flexible and you will get through. Hell you might even enjoy it ocassionally.

Reply to
hmasmmb

Boy, it's been a LONG time since I heard someone say that. Mine (along with Chris Pearson and someone else, perhaps Matt Steele or Chris Johnston) draft card was used as a blast deflector at some early pre-LDRS Ohio launch for a big honken BP motor cluster. But I'm pretty sure that by then the draft was history.

Bob Kaplow

Men have been ordered on "suicide" missions...

Bob Kaplow

Might be fun playing with those evil firearms... (you cant have any in my country... they dont believe in rights to bear arms like the americans do) but then again, on a different note if America required everyone to serve in the military for like 2 years then ban all guns then they might say "hey thats a "well regulated militia..." here firearms are only used (other than military and LE that is) for one purpose, and thats to commit crimes... at least to the people here.

Reply to
tai fu

I'm refering to our military, not terrorists with bombs strapped to their body.

Bob Kaplow

That too. Most of the time. But there certainly have been times where groups are sacrificed (or at best, sent on missions with very low survival probabilities) in order to save a larger number of others. And they're still expected to obey the orders... Sometimes, they're "lucky" enough to be called heros when it is all over.

BillW

Reply to
Bill Westfield