propellant combustion temps???

someone asked this on our forum and I thought it was a pretty good question. Anyone know or know where I might find such info? (I didnt see anything on the AT site...maybe its part of the MSDS's or something?)

'Does differing propellant burn hotter ? Is a white lightning hotter than a blackjack ?'

cheers Perth Advanced Rocket Club - Western Australia

Impakt

Yes, different propellants burn at different temperatures. There is a program out there called PROPEP that will calculated chamber temperature and lots of other good stuff. Google it. Of course, to know the temperature you need to know the make up of the propellant in question. Still, you can get pretty close without knowing the exact details. Try simple three ingredient formulas (ammonium perchlorate, aluminum, HTPB) and vary the amounts of each. For example, a propellant that is 70% AP,

10% Al, and 20% HTPB gives a chamber temp of 2661K (4330F).

-JT

Reply to
Jeff Taylor

Thanks heaps Jeff :) Perth Advanced Rocket Club - Western Australia

Impakt