Questions from RMS nooB

I recently received an Aerotech RMS 29/40-120, my first reloadable system. Not wanting to look like a total fool when I went to the local launch, I figured a practice assembly and static firing was in order. I assembled the engine with an F22J reload kit, and was pleasantly surprised at the simplicity... it went together in about 10 minutes. Into a static stand, hook it up, and presto..... worked like a charm.

I let the motor cool, and disassembled it for cleaning. I was somewhat surprised to note the paper grain holder was ruptured along one seam, with clear evidence of leakage (physical expansion, soot, charring). The rupture apparently occurred just at the top of the fuel grain (reload is a short grain + spacer).

Two questions occur-- is this sort of rupture normal? If so, does it eventually weaken the case?

Now, a totally different question. It's freezing here more than half the year... if you want to fly, you freeze. The Aerotech RMS case uses O-rings, and I can't help but think "Challenger". Have any problems been reported using these motors in freezing (or even sub-zero) temperatures? I found nothing on the Aerotech site.

TIA for any input!

Kevin

Reply to
kevin

Kevin,

The burning through the cardboard liner is common. The case will be OK.

The cold is a concern with the o-rings. I live in Ohio so I know what you are talking about. Just keep the motor warm in your vehicle until you are ready to launch.

Les Kramer

Reply to
Les Kramer

I also live in Ohio and launched last weekend. It was below freezing and I put together an F22 and a G64 at the field and launched without any problems.

Mike

Reply to
Mike