Racism at a launch

But what can you do? No one expects you to put on a cape, become "I Cubed" and fight injustice, ignorance and idiocy. Besides, I bet you don't even have a theme song...

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

I caught a piece on NBC this morning. Some doctor in AR used a gun to stop an assault. Apparently, the perp's gun jammed (and the doctor's didn't :)

Anyway, it sure seemed like Katie Couric couldn't get away from this guy fast enough. She didn't want to hear the gunfight story, and seemed to be frowning as if to say "guns are bad no matter how useful this guy's gun was".

She sure seems to have this elitist thing going.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Why yes it was you. I'm sure you're proud of yourself. It was related to a launch and club busniess. As far as I'm concerned, It's the same thing. Our club does not condone any kind of ethnic slurs.

The FAA and I had copies of the waiver that you imagined didn't exist. That's all that matters.

Phil Stein

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

I used to get paid to be a superhero. I had a cool costume (no spandex, thankfully), a utility belt, body armor, a secret lair (ok, so it was in the phone book, had a big sign over the garage doors, and a mural on the side), loads of high tech gizmos, and this really cool tricked out vehicle.

Ok, so the vehicle was an F-150 with too big a load and undersized brakes. Ever see "Homeboys in Outer Space" with the "Space Hoopty" in it? Same concept, but with less reliability or style.

The story even ends in a very comic-book way.

You know, the whole "reluctant hero stands up against immense pressure, does the right thing, saves the day at great personal cost, walks off into the sunset, not a damn thing changes, 5 years later no one remembers or cares, and the villain comes back from the dead yet again to harass the remaining heroes" cliche.

Explains a lot, doesn't it?

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

I forgot to mention - you're ex says hi & don't forget to take you medication.

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

nah, should have posted their faces to EVERY binary newsgroup along with a transcript of their exact words, along with where and when.

I don't blame you. an issue like that can test a person in ways not thought of. I congratulate you on bringing it up, even if belated, as we should stop this type of thing any time we can.

Reply to
tater schuld

Yep, I admit it.

See you on the launch field.

Reply to
Steve Decker

Neat!

Hey, if it was good enough for Buckaroo Banzai...just add jet motor and oscillation overthruster.

Never saw it. Prefer Hick Trek myself.

Indeed.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

See? I TOLD you I'm not the only one.

Seriously, zooty probably did the right thing. These fellows were simply looking for somebody to knock the chip off their shoulder. Discretion is always the better part of valor.

Back to lurking. In my closet, of course. ;-)

Tina

Reply to
Tina Michelle Smith

LOL!!! Good one, Bob!

Reply to
RayDunakin

Where is The Tick when we really need him? Me, I resemble Arthur too much to be taken seriously as a superhero of any kind.

Bill Sullivan

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

As do most "holier than thou" elitist hollywood types. Of course they have armed body guards... They get the benefit of protection but believe we peons don't need it. I'd like to see how she would react living in a rural area like me, when our two deputies are on the other end of the county and she hears someone trying to break into her house.

tim

Reply to
Tim

Or have someone keep driving by and shooting at your house and wait for 4 hours before the police showup. This happened to my brother about 15 years ago, he ended up losing 5 dogs and had 7 holes in the side of his house.

Reply to
zak orion

How'd it stop?

Reply to
bit eimer

well, her legs just arn't what they used to be. and those wrinkels...

Reply to
Art Upton

They must have ran out of bullets. They just quit driving by about 2 hours before the police arrived.

Reply to
zak orion

Too bad she wasn't in the Dr.'s shoes. Wonder if she'd change her mind. I can't abide the media, her inparticular.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Must be nice to work on larger projects. My hobby room is full of low and mid power rockets and a few high power, but nothing over four inch diameter. Santa will not be bringing me a hybrid motor system and the GSE...he came early and left a new car for Sherry.

John Stein

Reply to
John Stein

Big basement.

Well, if it's a choice between a car or walking to the launch, I think I would rather have a car too.

Once I ever get that 11.5" V2 done, I don't plan on building anything above 6" diameter for quite some time. The big stuff is just a pain in the rear to deal with...only way it could be worse would be if I used big hybrids in them.

;-)

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Well, I doubt I'll get to drive her Beetle to any launches, but it is a convertible, and with the top down we should get plenty of looks hauling an EZI-65, four inch V-2 and Little Lunar Express around.

I ran it past other club members and no one is serious about hybrids, and I don't want to pay for all the GSE myself, so that's on hold.

That's one of the items I miss in our house...a basement. The other is a fireplace. And for Sherry it's closets.

It looks like our launch this Saturday will be scrubbed. Winds will be northwest at 20 with gusts to 35 mph. Oh well, I need to get over this sore throat anyway.

John Stein

Reply to
John Stein