Racism at a launch

We allow all colors at our launches. BJ, WL, BT, RL, ...

Bob Kaplow

Nope.

FS BK

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Zooty,

You probably did the smart thing by saying nothing. Me, I would probably have laughed at them and asked, "Are you two for real?" Thereby insuring that said bozos would want to beat me up. But then they would find out that I'm not so easy to beat up.

I remember reading somewhere (maybe in one of Heinlein's books?) that you should never reward rudeness. Instead, you should stomp the sh_t out of them until they say they're sorry.

Personally, I'd like to see more non-white people at launches. Just keep those darn Kalifornians out!

Regards, Michael Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

snip

Several thoughts...

  1. These guys were/are idiots.
  2. Did anyone ask them to leave? I take it they weren't club members.
  3. How many people of any ethnic background (black, Hispanic, etc.) attend launches?
  4. Are there clubs that discriminate against any group? (I've never heard of one)
  5. Are there clubs that actually recruit other ethnic groups?

All of this begs the question: How is security addressed by any of the clubs? In other words, what happens when someone gets out of line, for whatever reason? Of the few club launches I've attended, I don't think I've ever heard of a "club policeman."

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Most assuredly, an armed society is a polite society. ;-) I had a similar experience as you over the weekend with a group of Mideastern thug wannabes that were giving my son a hard time. Like you, I wouldn't have let it escalate to the point of needing any hardware as well. Discretion IS the better part of valor.

Mark Simpson

Oh, what color are we, then?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Mauve?

Bob Kaplow

At one launch we ran many years ago, we had one person not part of the launch who came out specifically to cause trouble. I had to ask an armed forest preserve ranger who happened to be around to remove him... [btw, the thug was a TRA BOD member and this was long before I got excommunicated from the group]

Today, someone would grab a cell phone and dial 911...

I can't recall NIRA ever doing anything to specifically include any minority group, but we certainly don't do anything to keep them out. It does seem to be a very WASPy hobby, which makes me a minority.

But we did welcome Tai when he showed up at NARAM-44...

Bob Kaplow

I kind of assumed that.

One of my sons is a Math teacher at a local high school that is about 70% black. He has been trying to increase awareness of the hobby, perhaps even starting a school club, if they maintain interest long enough. He has at least 4 kids that are really into it and they are all black. We're not really targeting any particular group, we want as many as will, to participate.

He's hoping to accomplish several things, like create a hands on situation with the math and science involved with rocketry, as well as give them something other than the streets and sports to think about. He is also a coach and believes he can improve their concentration on and off the field with rocketry. We'll see.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Well, if something ever happens at a Texas launch, I'm hiding behind Dancing Baby. He's plenty big to hide behind...and he's packing heat :)

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

This should be in the FAQ.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I heard a caller into a radio show talk about how a gun stopped a confrontation. Seems the caller was drunk when something (pretty minor if I recall) happened which resulted in the caller getting in another guy's face. Guy produced a gun and the caller went away. Even he agreed it was effective.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Well, at least the Hatfields and McCoys finaly made up.

Reply to
Alan Jones

Aloha, Racism at launches is a good thing. Lots of people building the same rocket, but trying to make theirs faster off the pad, or go higher than the others.... great stuff. I think all launches should have drag races. Oh wait, thats not what you meant at all.....

Take Care, Larry

Reply to
AkaZilla

Do you mean Kalifornians? When I lived in SoCal (most of my life) most of them were different shades of brown, no matter what race they were. I think it comes from getting more than their fair share of sunshine, but it could also be the smog I suppose. Unfortunately, up here in Oregon we're mostly several shades lighter. Picture a bunch of big, fat, anemic banana slugs.

Anyway, skin color wasn't the reason I said to keep the Kalifornians out.

Regards, Michael Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

Zoot,

Which launch are you referencing? Please be specific.

As a member of TRA, I would not want to attend a launch where members made you uncomfortable with racist remarks. I imagine my fellow TRA members feel the same way.

Jeff Barnes TRA #2267

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

It was me.

Didn't happen at a launch.

Be sure to ask ME about the "waiver that wasn't"..............

Reply to
Steve Decker

Have not made it to many launches this year since Olivia was born. Going to the December launch, though, and hope to have a new 6" bird ready. Switchable motor mounts so I can fly it on aything from a 4" to a bunch of econojets.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

And because of incidents like that we haven't had a great barrroom brawl here in 20 years. :-( They all get bushwacked in the parking lot.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Had this been said by a member of the sponsoring organization, I'd post their home phone numbers and photographs to a.b.m.r. It wasn't. The people running the launch and those in attendance shouldn't be blamed for the action of two people who were there for a few minutes.

Looking back on it, I shouldn't have even posted this. I didn't post this back when it happened, and apparently showed better sense.

I finally posted it because I was ashamed that I stood by in silence. Saying nothing was the best thing I could think of doing. It probably was the best thing I could have done.

You'd think that would make it feel better. It doesn't.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot