Re: How much space do I need?

Kevin, Click on this link below to see the "Model Rocket Safety Code" - It has a table of reccomended launch site sizes based on the rocket motor size.

Lot's of other important info at this link as well...

Fly safe !

Scott

Hi all, > > My 7 year old son and I wanted to fly some beginner rockets. We have > access to about 3 Acres of space with a house on it in New Jersey. > We're looking at the 350-1200 foot range of Quest rockets with up to > C7 engines. It seems like the Internet suggests going for a Quest > starter kit (as opposed to Estes). > > My main question is, do we have enough space to recover the rockets? > How much drift can we expect on recovery with 'mild' winds. If we > replace the parachutes with home made streamers, will that help bring > them down within range? > > I guess any comments or advice or best practices on "how to launch > beginner rockets in your big backyard" would be appreciated. > > thanks in advance.

Scott Sager

Hey that does the trick for the Safety Tips too. THANKS. I was on that site earlier, but somwehow missed that important page.

I also decided to get some of the Quest Micro-Max rockets and launcher. Since my son is 7, he should be impressed with the 200 feet just fine. I'll pull out the regular C rockets as a surprise "grand finale". Should be fun.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Thanks for the real-world info.

I'm hoping the wind will be calm, but we'll just have to see how it goes. Thanks for the confirmation about streamers. There are light traffic streets nearby, so I don't want the rocket to come down and hit a car (very small chance) and scare the driver. That's about the only thing I'm worried about. I'll probably go with chutes on the small rockets and switch to streamers if we start loosing them to the wind.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Wow, thanks for the football field reference.

I think we'll have that much space (1 field), and the two field wide depending on which way the wind blows it. The trees are not an issue in the immediate area since the area is one of those housing communities where they pretty much leveled everything and then you pay a fortune for landscapers to come in and put trees back (must be a racket). Lots are 2.5 acres each and the way the houses are placed in this case have them spread pretty far apart with no fences between them. I suspect we'll be able to recover the rockets by crossing some property lines, but that's no big deal.

Thanks for the info about the groups. We live in NYC, but my mother is in NJ so I'm not sure which group is closest. I'll do some calling.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

The safety code, included with every rocket kit and motor, tells you how much space you need for different motor sizes. Read it!

Bob Kaplow