Re: Sorry, Jerry bashers

For many years TRA allowed cert of boutique motors. They had no EX

> numbers and were hand delivered to launches by their loving owners > (legal). No governmental authority even hinted that needed to be > changed. TRA changed it unilaterally. > > What is really wrong with boutique motors anyway? Now we have folks > selling allegedly ATF regulated motors (if you have to log them out to > sell them they ARE regulated de facto) at launch sites to get around the > alleged ATF rules. Why not boutique motors too? > > There were about 10 manufacturers!!

Did TRA not realize that their rulemakings requiring that manufactures be individually approved (at the org level) as "officially recognized manufacturers" (as provided for in the "Basic Policies Extract" etc.) were going to result in the barring of a significant variety of then- extant motor sources??

Or were they so desperate to expedite NFPA adoption of the "HPR safety code" (why the rush?) that they tried to make it "as much like the model rocket code as possible" (including trying to mirror the "strict Consumer rocketry" focus of the MR code) in hopes of smoothing its passage through the NFPA committee process ("let's make it like what they're used to..."), not caring that they were making regulations inconsistent with historical practice? Or was that simply considered an acceptable price for "NFPA-style Respectability"?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

This should be in the FAQ.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Actually, it's the sort of question that seems _not_ to be getting asked as frequently as it should be...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I have a suggestion. Ask them formally and note the answer.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Why?

Reply to