Recent BS posts

Hmm, Tweak replied, but since he didn't even offer the courtesy of top-posting, I shall ignore whatever useless turd he dropped.


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Top posting is not the custom in Usenet groups. Others have already explained why. If you need more information, try this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
Quote from above:
Unsurprisingly, different online communities differ on whether or not top-posting is objectionable; but if it is found objectionable in a particular community, top-posting in that community will generally be seen as major breach of etiquette and will provoke particularly vehement responses from self-named community regulars.
The sci.space groups have been around far longer than I have been reading Usenet (which dates back to 1988), so you'll find these groups are conservative and prefer the use of proper Netiquette:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette
Jeff
--
Remove icky phrase from email address to get a valid address.



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I know. I'm just tweaking his buttons.
p.s. I find that trimming extraneous content is FAR more courteous and important to readability than bottom-posting.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I wrote:

IMHO, I like the bottom posting method better, as then I don't have to scroll down to see what exactly the reply is in response to. The one that gets on my nerves is a reply that has no content from the posting it is a response to in it. This makes it very hard to determine what exactly the poster is talking about without backtracking the thread.
Pat
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Pat Flannery wrote:

Context is important, but, at last with a news group on a news reader, you can backtrack it. What kills me is web forums where there is no thread structure, just sequential posts. I can't understand web tools like that not supporting threading <sigh>
Even Google, with all their hot programmers, has been challenged to recreate the thread structure of the usenet archives. The structure is built into the headers via pointers, right?
Doug
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I don't care if it's top posted or bottom posted as long as it's on topic and is posted to the appropriate group and not every unrelated newsgroup on the net.
Randy www.vernarockets.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Pat:
Think about it- the only time bottom posting is "better" is when a newbie is entering a thread for the first time and needs to get "caught up."
So your point is that those who have been paying attention all along must scroll down past all the historical stuff they already know, every time a new post is added, in order to make life easier one time for the ocasional clueless newbie?
Ya know, we had this one out back in the early 80s and a common feeling back then was that top posting was like Apple- definitely superior in so many ways, but hey, everybody else is using IBM . . .
(OBTW- anyone using "Wikipedia" as an athouritative source on *anything* has really jumped the shark big time)
--
*********************************
Steve & Leslie Swartz
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Steve & Leslie Swartz wrote:

I've got my newsreader set so that it shows all the threads at once in the order the messages were received in; therefore I can be hopping back and forth between a lot of threads as I advance through the messages, and the real aid there is if the poster leaves some context so I can see what they're responding to.

I just prefer bottom posting due to way I read the messages... however it's a personal thing, and open to individual tastes. Top posting is a minor inconvenience at most, and I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
Pat
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Not really. Please expend a little more effort.

There. Fixed it for you.
--
Tweak

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Who gives a flying f,,k?
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:08:29 -0500, "Jeff Findley"

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Whazza matta? You to chicken to top post?
I'm not the spelling police but it isn't git, it's jit.
Phil
ps - aren't yopu glad you didn't have to scroll to the bottom of this to find out how to spell jit?
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:08:33 -0500, Tweak

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@ArielSystems.spamsks.net says...

See http://www.londonslang.com/db/g/ for proper spelling of "git".
And it should read "You TOO chicken to top post", by the way. If you are going to be the speeeling police...
A simple snip fixes the scrolling.
--
Git Chicken?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
:Top posting is a courtesy to the intended reader(s) -
Hogwash!
<plonk>
--
"False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the
soul with evil."
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You <plonk> people because you disagree with their opinion on top-posting?
O.k....

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You also seem to say little that is on topic. I'm sure Fred isn't the first or the last person to killfile you.
Jeff
--
Remove icky phrase from email address to get a valid address.



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
: :> You <plonk> people because you disagree with their opinion on top-posting? :> :> O.k.... : :You also seem to say little that is on topic. I'm sure Fred isn't the first :or the last person to killfile you.
Not given his attitudes. I, like a lot of folks, killfile the stupidly annoying. Just trying to improve the signal to noise ratio at my end of the wire....
--
"It's always different. It's always complex. But at some point,
somebody has to draw the line. And that somebody is always me....
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

...by producing nothing of merit to add to any of the newsgroups you're x-posting to?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Fred J. McCall ( snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net) wrote:
: : : :> You <plonk> people because you disagree with their opinion on top-posting? : :> : :> O.k.... : : : :You also seem to say little that is on topic. I'm sure Fred isn't the first : :or the last person to killfile you.
: Not given his attitudes. I, like a lot of folks, killfile the : stupidly annoying. Just trying to improve the signal to noise ratio : at my end of the wire....
To actually do that you'd have to stop posting altogether!
Eric
: -- : "It's always different. It's always complex. But at some point, : somebody has to draw the line. And that somebody is always me.... : I am the law." : -- Buffy, The Vampire Slayer
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
He does it because he's basically a prick...
I ( snipped-for-privacy@mbait.com) wrote: : You <plonk> people because you disagree with their opinion on top-posting?
: O.k....
: > :Top posting is a courtesy to the intended reader(s) - : > : > Hogwash! : > : > <plonk>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ah, but pissing off Fred is a good thing...
Fred J. McCall ( snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net) wrote:
: :Top posting is a courtesy to the intended reader(s) -
: Hogwash!
: <plonk>
: -- : "False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the : soul with evil." : -- Socrates
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.