Stability of engines mounted forward of fins.

I had noticed that in my rocket design program that the farther I move the engine in the body tube forward of the fins, the more stable it shows the rocket to be. Would that be like the old stick stabilizer? Is that why the old RPG rockets had no fins?

Reply to
rocketdragon

It's more stable as the weight of the motor moves forward -- the center of gravity is being moved forward. Sort of like the fireworks stick rockets, I guess.... I don't know anything RPGs.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

That's why you'll often find that kit instructions recommend adding weight to the nose cone-allows the motor to stay at the rear, allows less of a chance for the exhaust to torch the airframe! Bob

Reply to
bob352