strange FSI motor?

'Zilla and I have several FSI motors marked CS-2-9. The labels are the usual NAR symbol, safety and contest certified markings, MFG code 2 81 72.
Case and nozzle look like an F100. We dug a hole and fired one wqith a quick-burst igniter dropped half-way down the core and it even looked like an F100 burn. What are these critters? -Braz

Man, you should at least have put that in a fire and forget rocket !
"AlMax said;

-Braz
Braz wrote:

Maybe Doug Pratt will chime in.
I believe he worked for FSI at one time.
Doug?
They may be some of the custom-made nearly-F100s that were produced for a couple of groups that wanted to fire Estes Saturn V models inside sports stadiums. The Houston NAR section did it in the late Sixties; it got a nice writeup in Estes' newsletter, but somehow failed to mention that it wasn't powered by an Estes motor!
Gus wrote:

The write up in the Model Rocketry magazine indicated that they used a custom D13 motor that had less propellant for a shorter burn time (and lower total impulse) resulting in lower altitude to keep it away from the roof.
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/ModelRocketry/Model_Rocketry_v02n06_03-70.pdf
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117 http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZshreadvector
Yup, a "custom" motor, made for them by George Roos of FSI.
OK, so let me get this straight.
The Model Rocketry magazine says an Estes motor with 15.5 N-s made by Brown.
Are you saying that was false?

If the motor in question is the same diameter as an FSI F100, then it is certainly one of their motors. No one else ever used a similar diameter casing material. Estes D12s were about 3mm smaller, MiniMax et al, and composites from Enerjet et al were slightly larger.
Yes, I know the diameter of motors. I even know about the big fat AVI motors of the late 1970's.
I was asking Doug if the Model Rocketry magazine article was incorrect. It identiys the motors as 15.5. N-s Estes D13 derivatives made by BP motor-God Brown.
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117 http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZshreadvector
simple: call ed brown BP GOD at estes and ask him..
shockie B)

Ed would not have written the Model Rocketry magazine article, so he could not answer if the article was a lie. He certainly can tell us if he made the 15.5 N-s motors and shipped them to TX, but he would not know if they used them as intended or if they were replaced with FSI motors.

Note. He certainly would have made THOSE motors.

And what does that article have to do with FSI motors? The astrodome Saturn launch was a short-load Estes D motor. And it pre-dates tha date that the original poster identified from the motor casing.
I was responding to Dougs post which talked about the Houston launch and the write up neglecting to mention FSI. Do I need to retype my messages?
What date code on the casing? Do you mean MFG code 2 81 72 ?? Is that February 81st 1972 ???
Geez. Someone needs a little eggnog. Or maybe a lot of eggnog?
shreadvector wrote:

Maybe it's too much eggnog.

http://www.milkandcookies.com/links/23953 /

-Braz

I never saw a post about a houston launch, at least not in this thread.

Got any Kosher for Channukah eggnog :-)

Not many do.

Correct.