strange FSI motor?

'Zilla and I have several FSI motors marked CS-2-9. The labels are the usual NAR symbol, safety and contest certified markings, MFG code 2 81 72. Case and nozzle look like an F100. We dug a hole and fired one wqith a quick-burst igniter dropped half-way down the core and it even looked like an F100 burn. What are these critters? -Braz

Reply to
Braz

Man, you should at least have put that in a fire and forget rocket !

Reply to
AlMax

"AlMax said;

-Braz

Reply to
Braz

Maybe Doug Pratt will chime in.

I believe he worked for FSI at one time.

Doug?

Reply to
Gus

They may be some of the custom-made nearly-F100s that were produced for a couple of groups that wanted to fire Estes Saturn V models inside sports stadiums. The Houston NAR section did it in the late Sixties; it got a nice writeup in Estes' newsletter, but somehow failed to mention that it wasn't powered by an Estes motor!

Gus wrote:

Reply to
pratthobbies

The write up in the Model Rocketry magazine indicated that they used a custom D13 motor that had less propellant for a shorter burn time (and lower total impulse) resulting in lower altitude to keep it away from the roof.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

shreadvector

Yup, a "custom" motor, made for them by George Roos of FSI.

Reply to
pratthobbies

OK, so let me get this straight.

The Model Rocketry magazine says an Estes motor with 15.5 N-s made by Brown.

Are you saying that was false?

Reply to
shreadvector

If the motor in question is the same diameter as an FSI F100, then it is certainly one of their motors. No one else ever used a similar diameter casing material. Estes D12s were about 3mm smaller, MiniMax et al, and composites from Enerjet et al were slightly larger.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Yes, I know the diameter of motors. I even know about the big fat AVI motors of the late 1970's.

I was asking Doug if the Model Rocketry magazine article was incorrect. It identiys the motors as 15.5. N-s Estes D13 derivatives made by BP motor-God Brown.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

shreadvector

simple: call ed brown BP GOD at estes and ask him..

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Ed would not have written the Model Rocketry magazine article, so he could not answer if the article was a lie. He certainly can tell us if he made the 15.5 N-s motors and shipped them to TX, but he would not know if they used them as intended or if they were replaced with FSI motors.

Reply to
shreadvector

And what does that article have to do with FSI motors? The astrodome Saturn launch was a short-load Estes D motor. And it pre-dates tha date that the original poster identified from the motor casing.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

I was responding to Dougs post which talked about the Houston launch and the write up neglecting to mention FSI. Do I need to retype my messages?

What date code on the casing? Do you mean MFG code 2 81 72 ?? Is that February 81st 1972 ???

Geez. Someone needs a little eggnog. Or maybe a lot of eggnog?

Reply to
shreadvector

Maybe it's too much eggnog.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

This should be in the FAQ.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Valid question.

I believe there were two motors. Test and show.

FSI = FX.

Tech Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Not many do.

Correct.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Note. He certainly would have made THOSE motors.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

-Braz

Reply to