Sun Rocket??? F-F Thread, Plz

A while back, I read here that someone had done a small model that used the sun to counter weather-cocking of the airframe. Anyone remember that? Does someone here have any details? A webpage that explained it? I have a team of students that are participating in a national event, and would like to investigate this sort of thing. Any and all info is appreciated.

Reply to
James L. Marino

Hi Jim: Forrest Mims wrote some articles in Model Rocket Magazine about this project. There is also a section on this subject in the r.m.r FAQ. Your students will be able to find both by doing an appropriate web search. Ah, remember the "good old days" of checking a dozen different places in the reference library catalogs? 8)

There is a short book called "A Guide to Vertical Trajectory Systems" available at http://t> A while back, I read here that someone had done a small model that

Reply to
Will Marchant

Check out George Gassaway's Sun Seeker

AlMax

There's more on George's Sun Seeker on the SEARS 572 and BRB 665 websites:

Randy

<randyolb

Thanks, Will.

Surprising what's right under my nose. Can't see the forest for the trees. I fly with the author, Steve Ainsworth. I'll shoot him an e-mail..

James

Reply to
James L. Marino

Dear James, Read my August 1993 issue of Hight Power Rocketry. If you need a schematic design I can cook you one up.

Basicly you go to radio shack and get a 10 Kohn 10 turn resisteers, several 555 timer chips and a few 741 operationa amps. its an easy circuit. I have a 20 year background in instrumentation so I can help you along.

Basicly you use 4 photoresisters as your horizon sensors,. And you want those amplified and balanced . So a gright light dead on to your noce cone as you adjust the pots is really important. Now you going to feed that pitch and yaw signal to your two 555 timers to devekop a 20 ms pulse. That is dead zero on a R/C servo.

There is also a NARTS report on a Sun seeker as well. If you can not get a copy of the Aug 1993 HPR issue email me back and I'll send you one.

Dave Ketchledge NAR SR 57237

Reply to
RocketEngineer