Tai Fu: A Reason For You To Celebrate Thanksgiving

You don't live in Massachusetts.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Hell, you want BW spiders, come on over. I'm sure there's {quite} a few in the backyard.

Joel. phx

To give you an example, when I moved in, the guy before me had removed a wooden fence because the builder put block fence for all the houses adjacent (180' back lot line). So there were posts every 10' all the way around. Every post had a web off either side.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

"I could come to terms with killing it..."

Bahh! I'd say nuke the sucker in the worst possible way!!! DIE SPIDERS!!!

Reply to
tai fu

Reply to
J.A. Michel

My attic is full of brown recluse spiders. Just about every time I dig through a box of old computer, R/C or rocket parts, one crawls across my hand. I've never been bitten, knock on wood. It's almost impossible to get rid of them. Poisons have to come in contact with them, and they tend to not move around much to come in contact with it.

I've read that the brown recluse won't bite except as a reaction to pressure. IOT, if it feels it is being squashed, it bites. I don't know if it is a fact, but it goes along with me not getting bitten in over 15 years of cohabitation with the little critters.

Reply to
Tim

Shoot, we find them in the house all of the time. It comes with living in the high desert areas of SoCal.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Another reason for me to stay out of Kalifornia. ;-)

Mark Simpson

I was walking through the living room in my bare feet when I felt something weird and did the 'ol leg jerk. Look down to see some lint and as I get closer, it's a wolf spider upside down with it's legs curled. Not sure if I nailed him or he was already gone.

Then there was the time I couldn't tell what kind of spider it was and when I dropped the glass over it to capture it, all these little specks went running. Yep, a mom with a back full of babies. Got the mom out the door with a backload and smooched as many as I could still inside.

Have you ever read the FarSide where two guys are camping and one guy is dumping out all sorts of nasties from his boots. The other guy has bug eyes and you see his boots are on? I gave that to a guy I used to work with who had a scorpion problem. Found one in his shoe, after it was on his foot.

yiikkks. hate spiders...

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I like wolf spiders. They are big and scary to most people, so I like to catch them and do my own "fear factor" thing. :)

Wolf spiders do that...probably a bunch of other species too. I'm glad you didn't kill mom. Spiders do wonders for insect control.

I vaguely remember the cartoon. I'll have to hunt it up. I don't know much about scorpions. I've heard some species have some pretty toxic venom and others no worse than an average bee or wasp. If it was the latter case, I'm sure you had plenty of fun ribbing him afterword. :)

tim

Reply to
Tim

BTW, I just found a cool pic of a wolf spider and her babies:

Tim

Dont eat that grape! Unless you want to be the black widow's 50th husband...

Reply to
tai fu

Smooched them? Man, you must _really_ like spiders!

:)

Reply to
RayDunakin

Hey you know here in North America, it happens that American Thanksgiving coincides with the last day of Eid al Fitir. So, Tai, Eid Mubarek from halfway around the world!

Reply to
Marcus Leech
[snip all]

Jeff Moore forwarded in email this message for all of us to not only hear but really think about and belive, yes believe, with all of your heart:

My responseto an oft posted challenge/taunt by Chris Tavares: "I believe".

This says it better than I could in my own words - enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving to all those I know and care about - Jeff

Thanksgiving by Linda Wandell

A newly arrived soul in Heaven was met by St. Peter. St. Peter andthe soul took the A-tour around Heaven. They walked side-by-side inside a large workroom filled with angels.

St. Peter stopped in front of the first section and said, "This is the Receiving Section. Here, all petitions to God said in prayer are received." The soul looked at the section, and it was terribly busy with so many angels sorting out petitions written on voluminous paper sheets and scraps from people all over the world.

They continued on until they reached the second section. St. Peter told the soul, "This is the Packaging and Delivery Section. Here, the graces and blessings the people asked for are processed and delivered to the living persons who asked for them." The soul noted again how busy it was. There were many angels working hard at that station, since so many blessings had been requested and were being packaged for delivery to Earth.

Finally at the farthest corner of the room, the soul stopped at a very small station. To the surprise of the soul, only one angel was seated there, idly doing nothing. "This is the Acknowledgment Section," St.Peter told the soul.

"How is it that? There's no work here?"

"So sad," St. Peter sighed. "After people receive the blessings they asked for, very few send acknowledgments."

"How does one acknowledge God's blessings?

"Simple," St. Peter answered. "Just say, "'Thank you, Lord'."

"What blessings should they acknowledge?"

"If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep . you are richer than 75% of this world."

"If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish ... you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy."

"And if you get this on your own computer, you are part of the 1% in the world who has that opportunity."

Also .

"If you woke up this morning with more health than illness ... you are more blessed than the millions who will not even survive this week."

"If you have never experienced the fear in battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation ...you are ahead of 700 million people in the world."

"If you can attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, torture, or death ... you are envied by, and more blessed than, three billion people in the world."

"If your parents are still alive and still married ... you are very rare."

"If you can hold your head up and smile, you are not the norm, you are unique to all those in doubt and despair."

"Ok, what now? How can I start?"

"If you can read this message, you just received a double blessing in that someone was thinking of you as very special, and, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world who cannot read at all."

Have a good day, count your blessings, and if you want, pass this along to remind everyone else how blessed we all are.

Att: Acknowledge Dept.: Thank You Lord! "Thank you Lord, for giving me the ability to share this message and for giving me so many wonderful people to share it with."

Thank you Linda Wandell for submitting this great message!

May all of you have a Happy Thanksgiving!

God bless!

Just Thanksgiving Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

POINT!!!

Randy

Reply to
Randy

hornet spray works for up to 2 months on them. must have that "per-reth-e-ons" stuff in it to work. magic flowers pollon kills bugs it seems.

don't get the foaming kind, get the clear spray kind and spray the wooden spots you see webs and other sprider like stuff around.

Reply to
Art Upton

That would be hornet spray.

Reply to
Art Upton

actually Eid was on Tuesday, Nov 25th and Thanksgiving is today (Thursday, Nov 27th)

see

but I appreciate the sentiment :o)

From what I remember from grade school, Thanksgiving is a American holiday, the tradition established by the founding fathers in appreciation for the assistance provided by the native americans to the settlers, allowing more settlers to survive the winter.

as it is not a religious holiday, Muslims are free to observe it as a cultural expression. I know that for years we would do the turkey up right for family and friends.

of course, we all know that everyday is a perfect occasion to give thanks!

- iz

Marcus Leech wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Eid al-Fitr is 3 days, starting as soon as Ramadan is over. So there was some overlap. Lots of Muslims take the full 3 days off of work, but I took only 1 day, to support my Muslim wife in being able to pray Eid prayer [young kids], (and, more importantly for me, go to Eid parties!).

I was surprised by this just the other day. I was watching a lecture by a noted Canadian Muslim scholar, and he said that Thanksgiving itself wasn't "haram". Which is kinda cool.

Izzy, I had always assumed that you were Muslim, given your name, but I didn't want to assume anything. Bit of a touchy subject these days. Even though I haven't converted yet (maybe I never will, who knows), the local Muslim community treats me as one of their own, because I respect what my wife is doing, and to be quite honest, the light she has in her face, and in her life now makes it easy to support what she's doing. It's trippier than anything to know that there are "brothers" out there in RMR land that I have a far deeper connection to than just through rockets.

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Everybody has a tiny even if nearly indetectible grain of good in them.

Just post-Thanksgiving Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine