The Dish

Hello all,

Last night I re-watched a film that is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite movies.

It is "The Dish", starring Sam Neill and Patrick Warburton. The film concerns the role of the Parkes, Australia radiotelescope in supporting the 1969 Apollo 11 moon landing.

For me, this is a funny, touching film that captures the spirit of the era like nothing else. As I watched, the sense of awe and wonder came flooding back to me.

Yes, I cried. I also laughed. Most of all, I exulted.

This is not a "techie" movie, so if you watch it for that reason you will be disappointed.

It IS a story about people, about national will, individual courage, and global pride.

Please do yourself a favor and watch this film.

You'll be glad of it, you drongo !

Reply to
Augustus McCrae

I enjoyed this film immensely. It and Contact have been my favourite movies (along with October Sky) in the last few years.

I dabble in radio astronomy when I'm not building hybrid rocket motors, so I have an above-average appreciation of these films...

Reply to
Marcus Leech

It is in some ways. At least, I think a techie will empathise more with the geeks in the film.

What he said.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

It is a cracking movie.

You're treating us like a pack of galahs!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

You realize of course Americans are clueless of these terms. We think Australian is "shrimp on the barbie"

That was news to Mattel Corp :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Ok, you're scaring me now..........

I think I may be one........ or have one of those diseases.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Maybe the ass is just falling out of your Daks.

Reply to
William Bonney

Great movie. And I loved all the PDP8s and DECtapes in the background of the control room.

dvdpricesearch.com shows the best price for this DVD is from

Bob Kaplow

They had to borrow those computers fro the Dept of Defence...Australias military would be lost without such mordern stuff!

Michael Mackay-Blair