Jerry Irvine

snip:

(is that breech or breach?).

breech.

has been discussed

says nothing about

Reply to
NaCl

If it's just a "little boys club", then what do you care?

Reply to
RayDunakin

Jafo wrote: [ quoting from ER article ]

One sees this sort of thing _said_ a lot - with the general implication that the style of "outlaw biker basement bombing" [tm] is what has provoked BATF involvement, and that "professionalism and legitimacy" and "self-governance" (which all seem to be embodied in things like having lots of NFPA-style rules about motor certs & stuff) will appease them.

Certainly, it's good to have accurate, dependable motor testing - without it, we've got concerns like Bob K.'s, where he felt he didn't have the data to do an acceptable job of designing altitude prediction tables to fit launches under the "shelf" of an airspace boundary. I certainly have no objection to striving for this sort of "professionalism".

On the other hand, as far as the BATFE is concerned, I doubt that NAR/TRA "certification listing" and "expiration dates" are on their radar. They're probably not even worried about some "good ol' boys" castin' up a few chunks o' "homebrew" APCP.

I suspect that what makes them nervous is the availability, to the general public (we haven't even all had our Background Checks!), of prefabricated solid propulsion systems, commercially manufactured with standardized and documented ("certified", even!) performance - that's the sort of situation they feel like they'd Better Get On Top Of, before they end up with some reporter or legislator in everybody's face about how their precious bureau is "Failing To Address The Possibility" that someone might use such products to facilitate a delivery system for an improvised "destructive device". (No careerist bureaucrats are going to be able to comfortably endure the risk of a Political Liability like _that_, without itching to Take Visible Action to establish that _they're_ "Properly Positioned With Respect To The Issue"...)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

very nice summation, David

- iz

David We> One sees this sort of thing _said_ a lot - with the general

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Point!

:-)

Bob Kaplow

Because they aren't following their own rules. They kick out folks they don't like, not folks that violate the rules. That's what makes it a little boys club. Bruce just took his ball and went home.

But now that you mention it, for all I care, he can stay there. Or in jail.

Bob Kaplow

what were you "discussing"? Enquiring minds want to know ...

you mean the same Bruce Kelly who offered to refund my dues out of his own pocket if I would leave TRA?

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

I was never told which posts they objected to. But basicaly it was anything that differed from party line or questioned management.

I'd make sure the check clears. Isn't paying members to quit detrimental to the organization?

Bob Kaplow

not as detrimental as him not quitting ;)

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed