The original X-wings...

The discussion concerning multiple sets of fins on scale and scale-like missile modrocs, and the problems their alignment can cause for a rocket, brought to mind the fact that on the full size version of most of these missiles the "fins" located toward the CG are actually a set of wings to extend missile range.

And that brought up a question... has anyone built a boost-glider with cruciform wings?

I can see some of the problems... rocket-boosted antiship missiles, for example, can afford the extra weight of four smaller wings where their speed and deployment environments forbid two larger wings. And the wings are metal... :)

Still... has anyone worked with any version of this idea?

Reply to
Chuck Stewart

And that brought up a question... has anyone built a boost-glider with cruciform wings?

I can see some of the problems... rocket-boosted antiship missiles, for example, can afford the extra weight of four smaller wings where their speed and deployment environments forbid two larger wings. And the wings are metal... :)

Still... has anyone worked with any version of this idea?

Reply to
GCGassaway

Yup.

Built several cruciform CG shift RG's circa '91 - '93. Cruciform tail and wing surfaces. They flew well, but trim was critical. I found that by driving the CG progressively rearward I could get stable gliding flight with

0-0 trim ("super-critical" trim I suppose a la HLG's). They had a funny "hunting" glide profile, much like a Sidewinder that can't make up where it wants to go - quite amusing actually.

There's no benefit for duration, but for fun they are neat.

Mike Dennett CTI

Reply to
M Dennett

For cuise type missiles, wings increase range. For air-to-air missiles, wings increase maneuverability, usualy at the expense of range.

I have not, but you might try a canard configuration with X main wing and canards with dihedral.

Well, I did some work on the Harpoon missile. The Harpoon is usualy launched out of a canister, which means that the wings must be folded, and four wings perform better than two, in this case. The metal wings have nothing to do with it, they are just cheaper than composit construction.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Ahah!

Hmmm...

Cool... 8)

Well, I had trouble envisioning it sprouting a wide pair like ACLM or Tomahawk at that speed :)

Well, I was thinking of modroc applications, but perhaps not too clearly... :)

I do thank folks for their replies... enlightning and fun!

I'm just daydreaming of an L-class full-scale-like Harpoon built as a boost glider.. and maybe an unaware Navy type driving by as it comes in for a landing :)

Reply to
Chuck Stewart