Descon 14: Theme Determination

Folks,
Let us use this thread to three discussions:
1) Would you like me to administer the next RMR Descon?
2) I think I should only post the first 3 prizes, then add until 50%
of entries can get a prize through placement. The reason being is
that I believe the sponsors provide prizes to help promote the contest
and draw attention to their products... not to give a prize to anyone
that enters.
I would offer advertising for pending prize providers to ensure that
all know that with enough entries prizes would be forth-coming from
them
3) Theme: As I understand it, Descon 14 will have a theme.

Regards,
Nick
Reply to
EMRR
YES!!!! Please
I say put it all on the table. The last Descon had so few entries only because of it's difficulty.
Yes, must have a theme.
How about a military theme.
or a "No fins alowed" theme.
Reply to
Doc
I agree, if Nick is willing.
Cluster! "Cluster's last stand" ;-)
Reply to
Darren J Longhorn
You're doing a great job, Nick. The job is yours if you want it.
Whatever the theme is, let's stick to a single theme. Suggestions:
* Glider * Cluster * Multi-Stage * Multi-Engine (includes clustered and/or staged)
-- Bob Cox
Reply to
Bob Cox
Nick you have done a great job of administering these, I would say that the job is yours if you feel up to it.
Doesn't that get a bit sticky? I mean, what determines the first 3 vendors prizes to be seen? Descon 12 I was driven by one of the prizes (should have drove myself harder), but how does one determine which prize will drive which contestsant?
Price isn't always a factor either. Arts saucers are something to shoot for, even if you don't think you can get top honors.
well, *I* would say that is a downfall of the contest promotion department :) I've tried letting others know about DesCon without being too obvious but I don't think I am the best speaker on RMR to help promote that....
yes, but what? sooner it is decided, the soone I can resolve to get it *completely* done without last minute races
Reply to
Tater Schuld
Some other suggestions:
* Humor, including building instructions as well as rocket design * Rube Goldberg, again including building jigs, etc * Water Rocket, ie, a rocket that will spread water on a field -- a weapon of mass fertilization
Take care,
Ferrell Wheeler Center for Computing Sciences
Reply to
Ferrell Wheeler
Another suggestion for a theme.... how about "Backsliders"....
TJ
Reply to
TJ
Shouldn't first prize be a CHOICE of prizes?
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
I like the "no fins allowed" theme...
- Robert Galejs
Reply to
Robert Galejs
You mean including a "Water Balloon" Payload, loft and drop?
Nick
Reply to
EMRR
First In, First Posted. Don't know. Just compete for the fun of it..... perhaps?
Well, does it have to remain the "RMR" Descon, or shall it be the "Online" Descon?
Reply to
EMRR
Wasn't that one of the themes last time?
Reply to
Darren J Longhorn
Yeah, Spread the word :)
Reply to
JIM
Actually, I did not think of that. I was thinking of having the water dispersed at apogee (popping the water balloon up there, for example) are during flight/descent. Actually making rain seems more interesting and challenging than simply a payload loft. Seems neat to me...think of the engineering possibilities :-)
Take care,
Ferrell
Reply to
Ferrell Wheeler
Oops...second response to same message...
I guess really what I am suggesting is
* Rainmaking Rocket -- That seems a little different, now doesn't it?
If you go with clusters/multiple motors, then in that case make the stipulation that 14 motors must be used since it is Descon 14.
I love these contests, my Descon 13 entry never quite finished, dagnabit!
Take care,
Ferrell
Reply to
Ferrell Wheeler
There are actual rockets that do that by dispersing chemicals in clouds.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
I kind of like that. It would be challenging!
Cool.
Let's see what others say....
Nick
Reply to
EMRR
Yep. and even when there are the same number of prizes as contestants, this choice thing is a differentiation... but I'm considering the prize providers.
I'd love for some of the prize providers to chime in....
Do you want to continue to provide prizes for RMR -or- Online Descon's even if the number of entries is equal too or less than the total prizes provided?
Nick
Reply to
EMRR
I didn't start this thing, just have the administrative ball right now....
Shall we now initiate the ONLINE Descon effective with Descon 14?
Thoughts all?
Nick
Reply to
EMRR
I would be willing to provide premium prizes for (potential) first places.
What would be desireable?
I endorse Nicks prize distribution skill.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine