Descon 14: Theme Determination

nOrM

Reply to
Norman Dziedzic

Thinking about it, I could go with finless too.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Multi-motor will allow for a wider range of rockets.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

If the prevailing theme (multi-engine) wins, then please make it a specific number of engines. My suggestion is 14.

Ferrell

Reply to
Ferrell Wheeler

As for advertising, well I am always at the bottom when you do it in alphabetical order (XAVIEN), should have used AAAAXAVIEN ;-) . My products aren't terribly expensive, and I DO NOT get tons of business from supporting the contests. I do it because contests like this encourage creativity and give people something to work for, I don't care how you rate it. Hell, I love supporting contests that involve kids, one of them might be the next great engineer / scientist. If other advertisers are having an issue, well that is warranted in many cases. For the folks that are donating high dollar stuff I can see their view point. As for Nick doing Descon 14, I say go for it. So far the stuff I have seen speaks for the good job you are doing! As for contest theme, how about multiple staging of Estes motors using a fantastic little "cluster ignition controller". Sorry folks, just had to do it, it's an inside joke with Nick.....

Seriously though, a multi-stage rocket with air starting of Estes / Quest motors would be pretty damn cool! Of course you could add an artistic twist, using an "Ugliest Apperance" theme. ;-) This comes from the latest project my son Xavier and I did, I let him pick the coloring scheme. I tell you what, I have an "ESTES" NOVA rocket that is covered with every color of glitter you can imagine. I feel it should be in a "Las Vegas" show or something. It was either glitter or he wanted it painted with a big "rainbow" along the sides, glitter won!

Steve

Steven Kosmerchock * XAVIEN * Phoenix, Az USA URL:

Email: snipped-for-privacy@xavien.com

Reply to
XAVIEN

I'd rather have gliders, but it looks like that won't get enough votes to matter, so instead I will vote for:

-- Bob Cox

Reply to
Bob Cox

True.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

no

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

it a specific number of engines. My suggestion is 14.

Reply to
Rhhickok

well Nick, It looks like you got a pretty good idea of what the contest will be. lets hope you get as many entries as you get votes for the theme!

Reply to
tater schuld

One option to be fairer to Xavien and US Rockets would be to list the sponsors in reverse alphabetical order for every other contest.

Another option: Way back when I was in college, class registration priority was done alphabetically. Instead of always starting with 'A', they started in the middle of the alphabet. The order would go from the middle up to Z, then from A back to the middle. Each semester they chose a different starting letter.

-- Bob Cox Just full of 'helpful' suggestions

Reply to
Bob Cox

Hmmm, I don't know about that. There are some pretty crafty people here with the ability to really think outside the box. I'm thinking spin stabilization or even more radical like gimbaled motors. :-)

Reply to
Doc

Or order of actual contribution (timing/value) or random order.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I agree with Jerry. I don't care if I'm "last", my feelings won't get hurt ;-) There are worse things then being last. I could be listed first and suddenly everybody buys an XAVIEN timer, since I'm sure that is what happens to all the people listed first. What would I do with "all" the money I would make?

I like the multiple engine idea, with no limitations on motor amount. I remember seeing somewhere where a guy built a rocket and had like

100 Estes motors and used a pan full of black powder I believe to ignite the motors.