Descon Rule Change Proposal

Hi All,

I would like to suggest a couple of rule changes:

6) Entries are limited to two per person per contest

to become:

6) Entries are limited to ONE per person per contest

8) Entrants are entitled to vote, but not for their own entry

to become:

8) Entrants are entitled to vote, but not for their own entry, NOR A FAMILY MEMBER'S ENTRY

Thoughts/Comments?

Nick

Reply to
EMRR

Those are rules I actually though of in the past. While I have taken advantage of #6, it should be limited to one entry. #8 just sounds like common sense, but hard to enforce.

Reply to
Doc

Are the proposed changes to apply to descon 14?

I'm not really that bothered about people entering more than one entry. But I'm not really bothered if it's reduced to one either. Was there any particular reason for reducing it?

I don't see a problem with that change, other than it might not always be easy to tell! Not sure how much effect it would have - I couldn't get any of my family members to vote for me!

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

I am not sure what the purpose is in reducing the number of entries per person. But if it is mainly to give away fewer prizes maybe the rule should be changed to only one PRIZE per entrant, but you can enter as many times as you want and place anywhere, just win one prize.

I cannot see a good reason to discourage even 10 entries per person. I can always send more prizes. Ask Doc :)

I strongly suggest charging a VOLUNTARY entry fee. It worked for me!

Also if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That sounds like a good idea.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

I like Jerry's ideas of unlimited entries but one prize. That will accomplish the same thing as the one entry rule, but it may increase the number of interesting rockets to ogle at. No fees, please.

Reply to
Dick Stafford

I like this idea too, except, please not unlimited. Perhaps an increase to (3), or just leave it at (2) with 1 prize per person.

Unlimited = Dumping for placement = Administrator Turn-over

Nick

Reply to
EMRR

Keep the total the same 3 (entries) + 1 (prize) = 2 (entries) + 2 (prizes) (???)

or leave the 2 entries and make it one prize, that seems fine too, wouldn't want to CATO the contest admin :)

Reply to
Dick Stafford

Or you could make the rules so convoluted and dependent on formulas, the primary goal of the contest is to read, understand and parse the instructions, not build rockets :)

  1. one PRIZE per entrant, but you can enter as many times as you want
  1. VOLUNTARY entry fee. It worked for me! Call it a donation if you prefer. Poor people do not have to pay. Rich people the payment is TRIVIAL.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Mihgt be a good idea, although i was amazed that people actually voted for my 5 minute quad gnome

I am for it

I was in madison so I didn't get a chance to spam everyone i know into voting, this time :)

I see your point though. I think maybe a better confirmation of votes might be needed. or is it an issue?

Reply to
tater schuld

How about one entry, one prize , one vote.

Reply to
almax

Yep, Jerrys good for sending prizes. I think I have a few more prizes coming from ya but I'm in no hurry. :-)

Reply to
Doc

You want the oddball stuff and production has ramped up shocklingly well on a miniority of the line and is expanding slowly too thers.

According to sources :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Good idea. Allow 2 (or 3) entries per person, but only one prize for the highest scoring entry. As Dick pointed out, allowing multiple entries per person helps the spectators because there is a larger collection of rockets to ogle. For the contestants, multiple entries don't improve the odds of winning because the votes might be split between the entries.

-- Bob Cox

Reply to
Bob Cox

Right now each voter gets 3 votes, with 3 pts for a 1st place vote, 2 pts for 2nd, and 1 pt for 3rd. Dropping down to one vote per voter is a move in the wrong direction.

Before the DesCon13 voting I proposed changing the scoring system to help distinguish the ranking in the lower-placed entries, but nobody was very enthused by my suggestion, so we used the old system. Nick also added an optional ranking section where everybody could rank all

19 entries.

After the voting was all over, Nick was kind enough to share the results with me.

About 2/3 of the voters filled out the optional rankings for some or all of the entries. For the top 10 or so places, the placement with the official 3-2-1 scoring system matched very closely with the optional rankings, as well as the number of 1st place votes, and the total number of votes cast..

In the bottom half of the placement, though, the number of "official" votes were spread so thin that a single vote by a friend or family member was able to have a significant effect on the final placement (3 to 8 places).

Increasing the number of votes per voter from 3 to 5 (5 pts for a 1st place vote down to 1 pt for a 5th place vote) would have had no effect at all on the top 9 places but would have made it a little harder for a single voter to sway the placement in the lower places.

-- Bob Cox

Reply to
Bob Cox

Multiple entries take votes away from your own as much as they do from others. If awards were based on totla votes of the combined entries, it would be to your advantage. But under the proposed one prize per person, there's no real advantage to submitting multiple entries. Submit your best one, and save the other(s) for a round when you don't have anything else.

Bob Kaplow

Sounds like an event for Pink Book Lawyers :-)

My brother used to describe the football game between two high school debate teams: they run only one play, then spend the rest of the time arguing about who won!

Bob Kaplow

I would think this would be difficult to enforce. Is snipped-for-privacy@aol.com related to snipped-for-privacy@msn.com?

I've now got 5 email addresses. How do you even enforce one vote per person?

And if you don't allow entrants to vote for their own entry, then they are better off not voting at all than voting for other entries.

I'd not worry about either, other than somehow limiting votes to one ballot per person.

Bob Kaplow