Time to make a large cluster of 62 gram APCP motors. Just buy lots of little motors and cluster & stage them like crazy.

Oh, you'd have to ask the British rocket folks. Stewart I think his name was.

The rocket enthusiasts couldn't do regular rockets because of the explosives laws so they used water rockets. Then they were, IIRC, told that those were also considered explosive devices. I think it was sometime in the 1990's that the British Home Ministry was persuaded to change their interpretation.

But I might be all wet here. My memory never had time stamps and it's becoming more and more like a steel filing cabinet...full of mice. :-(

But I do remember that water rockets were for a time prohibited.

+McG+
Reply to
kmcgrmr

I am a British rocket folk.

I think the story there was that the Stewart's (The Paisley Rocketeers) were building and flying pyro rockets from the early thirties. Later, when prevented from "manufacturing explosive devices" by the man from the ministry under the provisions of the 1875 Explosives Act, they switched to water rockets, which they continued to build and fly nearly up until John Stewart's death in 2005.

I had the pleasure of meeting Peter Stewart recently, at the International Rocket Week in Scotland, and we watched transfers of old cine-camera film of their water rocket activities from the 60s, 70s,

80s and 90s.

It's comparatively recently that model rocket motors became legally available, and that might have been the early 90s that you are thinking of.

I'm becoming more and more familiar with that state of mind!

I never heard that before, which was why I asked. I'll check with some people who would definitely know, but I don't think it can have been the case.

Cheers

Darren

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Hmmm, it might just be the mice at work. :-( If so, I apologize for the erroneous info.

But I definitely seem to recall that in some foreign country--I thought it was Britian--pop bottle rockets were in fact prohibited. Or at least that it was seriously proposed by a gov't agency.

Any email or forum posts about it are long gone from any computer I might still get to work here.

+McG+

Darren J L> On 25 Oct 2006 00:33:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: >

Reply to
kmcgrmr