What is a good release agent for composit propellant cast tooling?

I made some tooling to form the core of my composite propellant grain. I went to the local plastic shop to buy release for fiberglass. I cast the propellant in the casting tube with the released core tooling in place. After the propellant cured I tried removing the core tooling. It was bonded in quite well. I finally had to burn the grain to get the tooling out. That release I used for fiberglass seemed to act like a good glue with the composite propellant. I had done this once before without the release and with some pulling was able to get the tooling out. But with the release there was no way it would come loose.

What is a good release to use for casting composite propellant?

Thanks, KT

Reply to
kimballt

Wrap your center core with saran wrap before you start to pour/pack. Works like a charm. Second alternative, use high density polyethylene rods. Many around here do, and a simple twist with pliers releases it from the propellant. You need to rough up the core with a wire brush if you use the rods since it leaves them shiny smooth. Third alternative, Loki sells Mann

400
.

-Booms

Reply to
Booms

Mann 400 from Loki Research. It's great for the stuff I've made.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein

Kimball,

Come see me at MudRock. I have a case of Mann400. That's the stuff you want. Works like a charm. Spray on a coat, wait 5 minutes, spray on another coat, wait 5 more, and you're good to go. I cast some 6" grains for the P motor, and they popped off easy.

James

Reply to
James L. Marino

I was not planning to go to mudrock but maybe I will.. Can you also bring the book about electronics you mentioned earlier? I have never been to blackrock so I hope I find it ok. I'll probably just be there on Friday and possibly Saturday.

Thanks, Kimball

Reply to
kimballt

Will do. See you there...