1/24 Spitfire and ME-109E

Back in the early 80's (before I graduated High School in '83), I built a

1/24 scale Spitfire and 1/24 scale BF-109E. Any idea if these are still around or who might have made them? I took them to college, put them in a Combat Air Patrol above my desk, and they were destroyed by rough-housing roommates. I'm not sure there were too many kits out there like them at the time, but I can't for the life of me remember what they were. I'd like to rebuild them...but I've got to find them first. Thanks for any memories you can dig up! p
Reply to
Paul Scherer

Airfix made them. Not sure if they are still available, but it shouldnt be too hard to find them on E-bay. They also produced a series of books showing construction of the models. Scott

Reply to
SnJmodprod

Airfix: Spitfire Mk.1, Messerschmitt Bf-109E, Hawker Hurricane, Junkers Ju-87b Stuka, Focke-Wolf 190A, P-51D Mustang and a Hawker Harrier. The latest Squadron Mailorder flyer lists them all.

Bill Shuey

Paul Scherer wrote:

Reply to
William H. Shuey

JSC of Poland has both a Spitfire and Bf-109 in 1/24th scale, made from quality cardstock.

The paper models last longer in that they survive ruff treatment. A small jarring will not cause pieces to fly off. Just don't let them get wet.

They are also lighter and thereby easier to hang from the ceiling.

You don't have to paint them; they come in four-color offset printing already camouflaged.

They are also much cheaper to purchase, less then $10 each.

They also take up much less room in your "unbuilt" stash, since they are in magazine format.

Both models build up into nice replicas.

You can buy them here ....

Halinski has both models in cardstock that have amazing detail, and are considered to be of the best cardstock airplane models ever published. Full cockpits that look as if you could climb aboard and take off. These are in

1/33rd scale. The Bf-109E is out of production by only a couple of years, thus not hard to find. The spitfire is new and currently in most shops. Halinski has a new Bf-109G that has been announced, but not received yet in the shops.

The Halinski models could be scanned into your computer and then scaled up to 1/24th and printed out on an inkjet printer, resulting in models equal in size and perhaps better looking then the Airfix plastic ones. Not only is the painting work done for you, but the Halinski models are nicely weathered; more subtly done then most could do with an airbrush. The JSC models are not weathered.

Cardstock models are neither easier nor harder to build then plastic. They require a different skill set to do well. More work on basic construction; no work on painting and decalling.

What I like is that since the parts are already colored as you assemble ..... the model "looks" as it will when finished .... as you progress. If the fuselage is finished, but not the wings, then the fuselage looks as it will look in the end.

.../V

Reply to
Vess Irvine

Try here!

I've chevronned it with a 1/24th scale filter on so it shouldn't wrap.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

I have an extra Airfix 1/24 Spitfire if you are interested.

E-mail me and we can work out a deal.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Heretic.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Richard Brooks wrote in news:dobe84$1v4$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

Don't go by the prices listed. I have all of them and I doubt I paid more than $30 for any of them, well the props anyway, mighta paid more for the GR3 but it was some kind of Squadron Special.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Al

"Heretic".

Extra kit for a contract. I'll be happy to make room in the garage for a pile of new 1/72 kits. :-)

The Gee Bee that was in FSM gong around the pylon was the old Hawk

1/48. That was a contract build for Hallmark.

It's funny, though. I have entered maybe thirty aircraft at varous nationals. I have actually built and entered exactly two 1/72 vehicles and both took first. While have a nice little collection of seconds and thrds, only the two vehicles took first.

My disposal list includes several non-1/72 scale kits. I'm trying to get a new list together.

Happy modeling,

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72