1/48 scale Treadheads

Strictly speaking, either spelling is accepted as correct, though "brake" is probably preferred. I'm used to you on the WWI list, so no, I don't hate smartasses.
Dan Hartz

Where did you get that idea? The purpose of the device is to slow or reduce the recoil of the tube when firing. It "puts a brake on it", so to speak. "Brake" is correct, not merely "accepted". "Break" is just wrong, unless you are talking about a catastrophic malfunction. The fact that people can't spell and pass it off with "Well, you know what I meant. . ." does not mean it is accepted as "correct". Likewise, just because people write and say "turrent" does not change the reality that the word is "turret".
KL
Kurt Laughlin wrote:

"brake"
reduce
speak.
unless
people
does not

write and

It is correct and not a matter of covering up poor spelling. Just as "brake" means to slow down the recoil, "break" means to redirect or interupt the flow of the propulsion gases, also reducing the recoil. See here:
http://www.warbirdsite.com/museumordnance.html
And here:
http://www.deserttoys.com/Rebel/18muzzle.htm
Maybe you should do a little research instead of assuming someone is wrong because you think they are wrong.
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Break is not correct just because some semiliterate buffoon spelled it that way on a website. The only correct spelling in this usage is brake.
Ron wrote:

as
recoil.
is
it
brake.
Per the dictionary: "an abrupt, significant, or noteworthy change or interruption in a continuous process"
Thus describing the action and purpose accurately. All those manufacturers marketing their products that way must be really stupid compared to you, huh? I guess you have first hand knowledge about being a semiliterate buffoon. This group does get tiresome.
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yo, dumbass, the dictionary spelling of break (note that the definition you selected is for a VERB and/or ADVERB) and it's definition do not apply to the nomenclature (implying a NOUN)of the object in question. It is a BRAKE (a NOUN). You may produce a break in bread while breaking bread BUT you do not Apply the BARKES in a car and produce a BREAKING action, it is a BRAKING action. Now go pound ghoti you illiterate.

How true.
BTW, I did check the always infallible internet before posting and also saw these - and other - abominations to the English language. What amazes me is that someone would think that simply because a WEBSITE was created with an error, it's proof that the error is in fact correct.
I also checked REAL documents, such as:
War Department Modification Work Order MWO ORD C64-W1, "To provide a muzzle brake which deflects the muzzle blast. . ."
Ordnance Technical Committee meeting minutes #22058: "muzzle brake"
Ordnance Technical Committee meeting minutes #22948: "76mm guns: Project to Investigate Requirement for Muzzle Brakes when Mounted in Tanks"
Ordnance Technical Committee meeting minutes #24985: "90mm gun mount, M4A1 Designation . . . When a Muzzle Brake is Used"
US Army Technical Manual TM 9-2350-303-10, Howitzer, Medium, Self-Propelled, 155mm, M109A2: "Muzzle Brake"
And on, and on, and on.
It does get tiresome dealing with people who won't admit they're wrong.
KL
Kurt Laughlin wrote:
BLah, Blah, Blah snipped

wrong.
You really are dimwitted. I never said "brake" was wrong, just that there are two accepted ways of spelling it. Not a hard concept to wrap your limited capacity brain around. Just because the US Government uses one way doesn't mean the other is automatically wrong. There are numerous alternative accepted spellings listed in the dictionary, but I suppose if the US Government (note US and U.S. are both acceptable, but US is preferred) only spells it one way, then the others simply don't exist. It is just amazing what waste of typing you are...I'm done.
Dan
On 14 Feb 2005 17:37:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Kurt is one of the last people on here that I would refer to as 'dimwitted'.

'Break' *is* most certainly wrong in this case. It is a homophone for 'brake', not a synonym. Moreover, the former is a verb (describing an action) in the sense you're attempting to use it while the latter is a noun (naming a thing). See http://www.uefap.co.uk/writing/spell/spelintr.htm , about 2/3 of the way down the page for a brief discussion of homophones. Also see example 9 at http://www.uefap.co.uk/writing/exercise/spell/homoph.htm .

Perhaps 'homophone' is too hard a concept for some to grasp...

There is no accepted alternative spelling for the noun 'brake'.

You might want to check your nearest mirror...

Indeed.
OK Al, your turn to come with papertowels and wipe the coffee off my screen.
Al Superczynski wrote:

Al Superczynski wrote:

Then two more won't bother you..litterboxes not cats, we're keeping them.....;)

You sure your cats will walk all the way to Arkansas and back just to use the litterbox?
Al Superczynski wrote:

Actually Al, you are absolutely correct and for some reason I tripped over my explanation after my seventh post which correctly states my position. I read what I wrote in the above post and even I was amazed that I wrote what I did. I meant alternative words to describe the same end effect. "Brake" as in slowing down the recoil and "break" as in breaking the flow of gases resulting in reduction of recoil. Simply that. To Kurt, I apologize for getting personal, but it was out of frustration that you immediately assumed that I was covering up ignorance versus putting forth a position.
Sorry to disappoint you Ron, but my knowledge of weapons is quite complete as I am a certified armorer, a certified firearms instructor and the head armorer for the second largest probation department in California. Ron, you do yourself a serious disservice with your nasty name calling and lowbrow suggestions. You really come across as a low class jerk who can't defend his position. I'd like to think your aren't the ass that you seem to be, but so far you haven't shown that you're not.
I said I wouldn't respond to this thread anymore, but I felt I owed Kurt an apology, and I wanted to acknowledge that I agreed with Al. I also wanted to restate my position as previously stated before I got off track. Agree or disagree, it really wasn't worth this much discussion. The discussion started out about 1/48 scale armor and after saying I didn't see the point in it, I promptly went out and picked up the Tamiya 1/48 DAK Kubelwagen. Very nice kit with a great figure that would look good next to a Bf-109.
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote

Could we go back to politics. At least it was interesting.
Kurt Laughlin wrote:

Don't you just love the "I read it, therefor it's true" mentality. Of course they only read a document or two of dubious origin or simply refer to a similar word in the dictionary as their justification.

I didn't even have to do that, I used to be a "gun nut" and already knew the correct term. He probably also thinks "clip" is the proper nomenclature for box magazines because Hollywood always uses the term and of course it's all over the web. In case you're wondering Dan- Mausers, Springfields, M-1 Garands and M-14's use clips; M-16's, M1911's, HiPowers, Glocks and even M-14's use magazines. Can you figure it out yet Dan? (Note to Kurt, you know he's going to read this and respond). Hint for Dan...the big boxy thing under the M-14 is a magazine, the ammunition is sometimes reloaded via clips.

Yep, we'll see if he grasps the phonetic at the end of my most recent post to him.

Ok, so ya all are so big on clips, does anyone have any for a Model 8 Remington for the .30 Rem. cartridge ?? (also known as 30 30 Rimless)
I have been looking for a few years, and no joy :(
TIA
--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will

AM wrote:

Nope, only had clips for what I actually shot. You might try what I originally did with the 6.5mm and take some dummies to a gun show and see if they slide easily in another type of clip. In the case of the 6.5mm I found brass clips for Springfields worked well enough but the steel ones didn't. Then a few years later I lucked into some real 6.5mm Swedish clips.

6.5 x 55 clips I have :) (great handloading data for the 6.5 x 55 as well !! :) Best ammo for your Sweedish Mauser is the Norma if ya dont handload !
There is nothing close to the .30 Rem. cartridge at all. (10 mm auto, and 40 S&W case were made from the .30 Rem.)
It's been easier to find magazines for my Tokarev SVT (@ $100 piece) than these things......... (and they made a LOT of Model 8's !!)
--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will

AM wrote:

I always preferred AA3100 and Sierras for mine with jacketed loads. For cast loads a custom LBT mold in either 120 or 140 gr. and Hercules 2400. I forget the exact loads since I haven't loaded in years. Federal LR primers for both.

I always liked the Prvi Partizan from the former Yugoslavia

That's a bitch. See if you can find something wide enough even if it is too tight for the rim thickness. Take out the spring and file the underside of the retaining lips. Reassemble.

Have you tried http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ ? Place is amazing. Used to vacation near them and would drop in. If they ain't got it it ain't around.