2 stupid questions

  1. I just got me my first real airbrush (I don't consider the plastic trainer I had a real one). The question is: do I need aztec's airbrush cleaner to clean it after use, or can I use the turpentine I use for my brushes?

  1. I just bought me a new set of files. My old set has the nasty problem of being so cluttered with plastic that they're not usable anymore. Is this going the way it's supposed to be or can you keep them clean somehow?

Reply to
Nemesis

Answer to Q2: You can clean the file using a "file card," which is a brush with metal bristles. I've cleaned my small files using a wire clothes brush that had fine wire bristles. You may also get satisfactory results using a dry plastic scrubby (usually used to wash pots & pans).

MGFoster:::mgf Oakland, CA (USA)

Nemesis wrote:

Reply to
MGFoster

just a thought...is it possible to use some kind of chemical (even just liquid glue?)to melt the plastic off the files?

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

yep. use the thinnest liquid stuff. then clean like you do crucibles. iow, heat red hot.

You can clean the airbrush using turpentine or whatever other solvent is appropriate for the paints you use.

You can unclog files by using a "file card" -- basically a brush with fine metal bristles. For small hobby files, I use a suede brush, which is like a toothbrush with brass bristles. Brush across the file, following the ridges.

If the files are clogged with styrene, you can also try soaking them in a strong solvent such as lacquer thinner. I recommend using a tall narrow jar that can be sealed while they're soaking, so the fumes won't fill your home. The thinner will dissolve the plastic, or at least soften it enough so it can be scrubbed out more easily.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

For your files - look for a steel toothbrush; I usually find mine (cheap) at gun shows or in gun stores. You can rejuvinate them with that.

Then also keep a firm regular toothbrush on your bench, and give them a dressing after each use...you should only have to use the steel brush when they get really clogged.

Reply to
Rufus

Reply to
Grandpa