Aircraft Used in Both ETO and PTO: Anyone got a list?

anyone have a list of a/c that went both ways?

saw a question about encounters btwn a bf109 and a Hellcat in another aviation group and it got me to thinkin'....

Craig

Reply to
crw59

On the Axisside,it'svery few, Japan had a few sample airplanes from Germany, at least one Bf-109E, Fw-190 and one Ju-87. Plans for both Me 163 and Me 262 are also stated to have been send there, the Me 163 clone is a Mitsubishe J8M.

Allied forces uded more planes in both theatres, Wildcats, Hellcats, Spitfires, Hurricanes, Airacobras, Warhawk/Tomahawks, Mohawks, Lightnings, Mustangs, Thunderbolts and Fireflys. The one important fighter I can't remember being use in Europe is the Corsair, and the Hellcat was very limited but the rest can fight both Zeros and Messerschmitts.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

Regards

Pat Macguire

Reply to
P & H Macguire

The Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm used Corsairs to provide top cover during Operation Mascot, the attack on the Tirpitz.

Grumman Avengers were also used by the FAA in Europe, so that's another aircraft which can be added to the list.

British aircraft used in both theatres include the Blenheim, Beaufort, Beaufighter, Barracuda, Mosquito, Fulmar and Seafire. The Blackburn Skua was used the Far East, but was withdrawn from operations shortly before the war started in the Pacific. The Fairey Swordfish was used on anti-shipping patrols off the coast of Australia.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Of course, the C-47 was everywhere. But both the B-17 and B-25 were used in both theatres, and I think maybe the B-24.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

don't forget the walrus in au.

Reply to
someone

Don't forget also the Boston, Tiger Moth, and other types such as the Proctor,Hudson, Albacore, Dominie, Oxford, Catalina and Firefly.

Regards

Pat Macguire

Reply to
P & H Macguire