Anyone bought the CO2 setup from Coast Airbrush?

I've gotten loads of info about CO2 from folks here, and think I am ready to take the plunge. None of the guys in the local club use it, and the local bottled gas folks are willing to refill a tank, but are of little help otherwise, and since I know almost nothing about putting a system together from scratch, I'm thinking of dropping the change for the setup from Coastairbrush (www. coastairbrush.com) item # CO2, but before I spend $245, I wonder if anyone has firsthand experience with this setup.

So is anyone using this rig?

Or can anyone who knows much about CO2 tell me if this system will meet my needs. It needs to be quiet, dry, have good control over pressure, and be airbrush ready (no chasing around for adaptors).. Being that CO2 is dry and there is no compressor air tank to pressurize (read as: silent) this setup seems to fit all these needs. Will the supplied regulator be appropriate for modeling usage?

None of the other online airbrush suppliers seem to have a pre-built package for sale, Dixie, Bear-air Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

I couldn't find this setup on their poorly designed web page, but... if this is just to paint models, $245 seems far too expensive, unless they're throwing in a good airbrush. If you have a welding gas supply company nearby (Airgas is one example, there are others) you can rent a

5lb CO2 tank for around $12, and a 10lb for a little more. The regulator will cost you around $75 - $100, and the fittings required to match your existing airbrush hose a few dollars more. Throw in a mounting bracket and some bungie cord (you don't want the tank to fall over and possibly knock off the regulator) and you're still under $150.

For me, a 5lb C02 tank is good for 5 - 8 models, depending on their size. At the rate I build, that's about one tank every 6 mo.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Henriquez

Frank, Thanks for the reply, you've been hugely helpful with this over time. I've got printouts of your posts from the last time I asked for CO2 advice.. Tomorrow I'll take them and the pic from Coast's catalog over to the gas guys see what they can do. I'd only ever called them and that made it too easy to blow me off.

Thanks again Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

Yeah, the website needs work. I found it, it includes a 20# cylinder which means you better have A BIG WALLET for shipping charges. Ya need two things: the cylinder full of CO2 which you can buy or rent locally and the regulator. Look in the yellow pages, shop around. You'll want one with a gauge for tank pressure and one for delivery pressure. Sears, Walmart, just do some shopping. Like Frank said, rent a small 5# cylinder till you get your feet wet, it's a lot easier to lug around. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

The local Airgas guys have always been very helpful. The first time I went there all I knew was that I wanted a CO2 tank to power my airbrush, and that I would need a good regulator. I took the hose from my airbrush with me and they did everything else.

The 5lb CO2 tank is a good size to start with; if it isn't big enough, just rent a 10lb tank when you go back to get it replaced. Also, take some thick blankets or something to cushion/wedge the tank on the trip back... you don't want it to fall over in your car while you're driving.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Henriquez

Took the plunge today, after a frustrating face to face conversation with the same welding gas franchise operator, with the up side being he's 1/5 mi from home, I called another guy across the river in NH.

BIG difference.

I ended up with a full 20lb tank, dual guage regulator (singles out of stock, 2 week wait unless I wanted to pay for faster shipping and the point of this exercise was to paint TODAY) adaptors, answered all my stupid questions and setup there in the store, for US$175.

Up here you buy the tank, but then swap it out for another the same size when empty unless you mark the tank up as "property of.. ". The store does , and pays for, the hydro testing this way.

I had brought 2x cinderblocks and blankets, the gas store guy was impressed I knew to do that. Thanks.

After a couple of paint sessions today, I'm hooked!

thanks again for answering every time I've asked about this. Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

20lbs! That'll last a while...

Dual gauge regulators are very convenient - you get the tank pressure (you can see when it's about to run out) and the regulated pressure. That wasn't an unnecessary expense.

That's not bad. What was the regulator going for?

Just remember to leave the tank ** outside ** the door to the store when you come back for a replacement. Most places have a drop off area, and it's usually where they'll leave the new tank when you're ready to go.

Enjoy! It's really very convenient and cheap.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Henriquez

That's the correct choice. Tells you when you're getting low on air. BTW make sure you turn off the master nozzle after your painting session (the one on the tank.) Airbrushes aren't leak proof and you can waste $20 worth of CO2 overnight. Experience

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper