Airbrush question

I won a Hobbico 945 dual action airbrush at the local hobby shop. This is a mixed blessing because it came with an air hose, but no connectors.

Even more mixed is the fact that the air hose suppiled and that fits on the airbrush ilooks like it came off a bycycle tire pump. This is good, but it does not fit my air compressor nor any of the compressed air cans. I ordered and received part HCAR 4117 from Hobbico/Model Maker nd that doesn't fit the ir hose either.

Hobbico sells a variety of adaptors in various sizes, 1/8, 1/4, and I think 1/2 in various sizes. I do not know how to measure these things. Is it inside diameter? Outside diameter? I am aware that a 2X4 peice of lumber is no longer 2 inches by 4 inches. They allow for the wood the saw removes (called the kerf). Is there a similar concept in air hose? Is something -reffered- to as 1/4 inch but is actually someother diameter by measure?

Please don't try to sell me on some other kind of air propelling device or airbrush. What is done is done. The moving hand has writ and having writ has moved on. That airplane has left the runway, the ship has left the dock, the , well you get the idea.

My goal is to be able to connect the hose I have to my compressor and a can of canned air. (I know that this takes two differect kinds of connectors).

Thanks very much.

Reply to
Chezelwig

The nipple on the airbrush has a 1/4 inch inside diameter, which, of course is matched by the connectors on the -braided- hose. The nipple on the compressor is the industry standard, if my trip to Home Depot is any guide. The nipple on the end of the adapter for the compressor and the air can adapter are 1/8 inch.

Hobbico had a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter - I just hope that the 'male' and 'female' connectors are what I need.

Could someone confirm this for me? That would be the size and the connectors (1/4 inch male, 1/8 inch female).

If this is right, then I can actually test the brush itself and see what problems -it- presents.

Thanks

Reply to
Chezelwig

I doubt you have to stick with Hobbico. Why don't you take the airbrush & an air can to Home Depot & tell the guy (if you can find one) that you want to be able to hook up the air brush to the air can & the compressor. He'll be able to get the proper equipment & it should be fairly cheap.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I'd try a real hardware store. (Ace, True Value, Do It Best, or other hometown store) Home Depot and Lowes do not carry everything. I think you'll have your best bet looking for help at a mom & pop hardware store, they have better trained staff and want you as a customer. After having worked in one, then moved on to a national company, training staff at all the above, the small stores are a better resource. Jerry

Reply to
bluumule

I don't know about that. I recently bought a new compressor and needed several fittings. I went to Home Depot and they had a pretty good selection -- including everything I needed.

J. Bright

Reply to
jhbright

"jhbright" wrote in news:KLAWf.399$kT4.345@fed1read02:

Yep, I got all my connections at HD. They had a pretty decent selection. Even had the reducer down to the size of airbrush hose.

Frank

Reply to
Grey Ghost

FWIW I recently bought a 4 gallon tank type compressor at SEARS on a President's day sale and they had everything I needed to hook it up, including some quick connect air hose fittings so I could change which air brush I was using real conveniently.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey