Looking for Auto Bodies or kits

Not being a car modeler since my early days, I have set upon a quest to try to model every car I have owned since 1972.

The first two seem to be perpetually elusive as they were never made directly as kits. I am hoping that someone can point me to an outfit that just makes body conversions for these vehicles. Here they are:

1967 Buick Grand Sport (the AMT 66 Buick Wildcat is the closest I've found) 1973 Plymouth Duster (only the 70 was kitted?)

Also seeking:

1973 Ford LTD Country Squire wagon 1979 Dodge Aspen 1982 Nissan Sentra 1978 GMC Suburban

Thanks -

John

Reply to
John

John,

Closest I found;

AMT 1971 Plymouth Duster 340 'Stock' 1/25 kit

MPC 1/25 1972 Plymouth Duster Model Kit NM S/I Unbuilt

Item number: 6047314169 on ebay

MPC 1/25 1974 Plymouth Duster Model Kit NM S/I Unbuilt

Item number: 6047317886 on ebay

1975 Plymouth Duster Hard Top with this 1:25 Scale AMT

1984 GMC Pickup Truck Plastic Model Kit from AMT/Ertl

I checked some resin sites and found no conversions for these either.

Mike

-- If you think there is good in everybody, you haven't met everybody.

Reply to
Mike G.

I think that quest would be impossible for me, unless the modeling vets know otherwise.

197? Carolla station wagon 1975 Volvo 245 station wagon 1983 Camaro Z-28(Easy) and currently a 1983 Izusu P'up 4x4 diesel. I would love to see a model of any of these, except the Camaro, those are common.
Reply to
DaveJr

Actually the Duster was produced every year until 1975 when the mould was altered to produce the Dodge Dart. With the Aspen it was a case of only the Volare being produced, much to the regret of Dodge fans. There has been a '67 Olds 442 kitted and Modelhaus makes a '66 Skylark in hardtop and convertible form. At one time the '73 Ford LTD was scheduled to be produced by All American Models but it would have been the sedan. It's not likely any were made anyway. I'm afraid I know naught about Nissans or GMC trucks.

Quite an interesting and diverse history of ownership there! :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I can't help it. But I think you will have an easier time of it then me. Anyone know of a 1980 Chevette?

Have fun John. i keep putting off doing my Wrangler. At lesat I have the kit for that one.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

What are the chances of finding a 1965 Dodge Coronet 440 Station Wagon. I actually had one of these. It wasn't my first ''old'' car but it was my best ''old'' car. And it had a Big Block 318 engine.

Yessssss Boys -&- Girls there was such an animal as the Big Block 318 Engine.

The numbers A318A were cast on the block. The thing had just a little over 218,000 miles and still ran like a TOP.

The poor thing died a very slow death from a terminal case of Rust

... Carl ..........

,,

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

we had a 66 coronet. never seen a kit. it had some sort of gold/tan paint unique to dodge. it was a 6 banger 3 speed stick; my father believed in cheap cars with two teen drivers in the family. i'd like to model it. didn't they also have 383 and 440 motors?

my all time fave is the slant 6...225 was it? i've had 3-4 cars with them, mostly the duster/volare things. in every single case, the body rotted out and the engines were fine. the 78 volare, (i think volare) i had had over a half million miles on it. 2 trannys and 2 bodies, same motor. i think it's running an irragation pump in mexico today.

IIRC, R&R has a resin '65 wagon available. The best way to see it is go to Resin Realm, click on Star Models and then R & R. You might be shocked at the varieties of resin conversions available.

318 Big Block? I didn't know they survived into the '60s. My '64 Polara coupe had a 318 but I don't know whether it was big or small.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yes, not counting the sixes, 273s, 318s, 361s, 383s, 413s, 426 wedges,

426 Hemis and 440s were made. You'll have to check which years which engines were available as they all weren't available every year in the '60s. F'rinstance, I believe '65 was the last year for the 273. My dad's '65 had one.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

(Mad-Modeller) wrote; '' IIRC, R&R has a resin '65 wagon available. The best way to see it is go to Resin Realm, click on Star Models and then R & R. You might be shocked at the varieties of resin conversions available. 318 Big Block? I didn't know they survived into the '60s. My '64 Polara coupe had a 318 but I don't know whether it was big or small. ''

Thank you very much would you by any chance have the URL for their web-site

From what I was told by a Dodge Dealer 1965 was the last ''full'' year for the Big Block 318. He said that about half way thru 1966 the introduced the Small Block 318 because the were making so many Mid-Sized cars and it just fit a lot better inside of the engine compartment and saved them a little on front end weight

That's what I was told anyways was the reasoning behind it. Somebody at an Auto Parts Store also had told me once while I was getting Valve Cover Gaskets that sometimes guys woul take a Big Block 318 and exchange the Flat Pistons for Domed Ones and change the Heads. He said that created something called a ''Semi-Hemi''. I don't know if he was being straight with me about that or Not though. But it sure sounded Good....!!

... Carl ..........

,,

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

that's it, it was a 78 aspen in that awful shit green that made rust really jump out at you. i loved that car. it would go through snow other cars balked at. i drove in snow so much i was perfectly happy going sideways and i never spun out. i would play in mall parking lots before they plowed and write obscene stuff with it. did horror shows and donuts...a real wild car.

There were two, 170 and 225.

Volares and Aspens were well known in their early years for being rustbuckets. It seems about the time that Chrysler found the cure they stopped production of the cars. OTOH, they continued using the platform under the Diplomats, Gran Furies, Fifth Avenues and the short-lived Miradas and Imperials.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Look here:

These may or may not be in production, but someone regularly sells them on ebay. I have the '63 & '65 Plymouth wagons. Worst case, pick up the nearly identical Plymouth (make me an offer!) and kitbash it with a Polar Lights '65 Dodge front clip. I don't remember what taillights or tailgate trim those had, but it couldn't be too elaborate or difficult to reproduce.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; built that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Thanks, Mike!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

More than welcome Bill Mike

-- If you think there is good in everybody, you haven't met everybody.

Reply to
Mike G.

When I was really little my Father had this Charcol Grey -&- Yellow Two Door Car. Might have been really late 50's or really early 60's back then for those who don't know the colors for car bodies were basic

But I can't remember if it was a Dodge or a plymoth. There were a couple Bodies there like it but not really the right one.

The things that I can remember about it were that it had Push Button Shift on the drivers side. Also real big front Grill and Huge back Bumper Dual headlights they were of-set or slanted just a little I think.

It had Big Tall fins in the back with about three tail lighs on each one. I remember thinking they looed like Rocket Engines..

There was also a Big Emblem on the side it was a Knights Shield and a Lance if i'm remembering it correctly there may have been a Helmet as well but I am not sure.

Can anyone out there tell me just exactly what it is. Year , Make -&- Model and is there a model kit of this Body out there

thanks very much

... Carl ..........

,,

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

I've seen Dodges and DeSotos in that combination (meaning it could have been any '57-'59 Mopar). Other details below suggest it was not a Plymouth.

All standard late '50s Mopar stuff.

Probably (but not absolutely; it was a transiton year) eliminates '57 models. Definitely eliminats the '57 Plymouth and Dodge because both had dual headlights only in '58 & '59. Some states still prohibited four headlights, so some '57 DeSotos had two and some four. Maybe you're thinking of a '57 Dodge that had a parking light beside the headlight. However, the Plymouth never had:

Here's where you need to look for references. Dodges had two taillights per side, sticking out from a rear-canted fin in '57 and '58. In '59, they were set into a dished chrome molding on the rear of a forward-canted fin. DeSotos had three. On the '58 DeSoto, these were set into a chrome cap at the back of a rear-canted fin. In '59, the fin was canted forward with the lights set into the back of the bodywork. Google these cars and look at images to see which it might have been.

The Dodge Royal Lancer might have had something like this, but I'm more certain that you're thinking about Hernando DeSoto, who was always depicted with his conquistador helmet on. There was also a DeSoto shield. The 'Forward Look' flying-V shaped wings might have looked like a lance.

By process of elimination, I think your dad's car was probably a '58 DeSoto. If it only had two taillights per side, I'd say a '57 or a '58 Dodge Royal Lancer. There is a resin body for the '57 Dodge only. I've got '58 DeSoto promos, but all are 4-doors.

-- C.R. Krieger (wouldn't mind having one, either)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

I'm thinking it's a Dodge, based on the knight's helm and lance. The '59 DID have a similar taillight set-up as the '57 &'58s. C.R., you described a '60 Dodge's tail. A '60 Dodge Pioneer was my second car. Damn, I wish I'd 'wasted' some film on it but I didn't. '57-'59 DeSotos did have three vertically mounted taillights with red at the top and bottom and a back-up light in the middle. I just don't remember any with knight's helm and lance insignia.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

That occurred to me, but that distinctive yellow & gray color scheme was more common in the '50s. The same *general* description fits all Dodge tailfin lights from '55-'60

None had the lance, but every rendition of Hernando I ever saw was in a helmet. The O.P. wasn't sure; and he mentioned 3 taillamps, so that would be a DeSoto from '55-'59.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; drove them)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger