Attn Rory Manton

Rory - I'm sorry if I seem rude! Re your enquiry on rms about Pommie Holdens - I only just saw it, and that was through Google Groups; there seems to be a lot of articles I'm missing out on by using my ISP's newsgroup thingy. The trouble is that I don't want to go through all the bother of having to create a Google a/c and then log on every time I want to look at rms; or I can just be rude and not answer enquiries.... a conundrum indeed!

As far as Pommie Holdens - the early Commodores were based on Opel/Vauxhall floorpans - until about the late '80s, if memory serves. The really early Holden Toranas were rebadged Vauxhall Vivas. Most of the rest of the Holden stuff is/was (mostly) local in design and construction, although a lot of Holden engines over the years were GM boat anchors from the Mother Ship. That said, the local chappies have designed some damn fine engines - the 6cyl 'Red' motor and the 253/308 cid V-8s come to mind. The new 2dr Commode (joke) is being exported to the States, I believe - do a search under Holden Monaro - you'll also get some pics of 'real' cars - muscle thingos from the late '70s, if you're lucky. Holden's Motor Body Co (I think?) were a small coachbuilder that got involved with Australia's first car and then got involved with GM at some point, hence the worldwide connections. Have a look at the Holden corporate website - it may have a bit of history there.

After all that, I think you may have asked the wrong guy - I'm more an Aussie Ford man. If there's any Aussie model building Holden fans here, don't be shy - pad up, grab the willow and let us know!

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

in article 3fe01b11 snipped-for-privacy@news.chariot.net.au, Rob Grinberg at r snipped-for-privacy@mackay.net.au wrote on 17/12/03 8:59:

Not a problem, thanks for getting back tho' I did have a moment of panic when I read the header my first thought was , what have I done wrong now?.

Reply to
Rory Manton

Well Rob, from what I've seen in Australian Classic Car, I'm more of a Ford fan myself although they have to sit in second place behind the Chrysler Valiants.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Valiants were probably the least popular.... here in Oz, a famous race called the Bathurst 1000 (1000klm) was always where the Holden (a subsidiary of General Motors) and locally produced Ford faced off. It's been a part of Aussie folklore since when the 308 Monaro raced against the Phase III Ford Falcon of the early sixties. It's a bit like your Daytona 500 except around a road track that climbs over Mount Panorama - it's a real bitch to win as well. Just quietly, even though the local producers had strong ties to the US car market, it was always misconstrued as being Ford being a little bit more yanky than the good ol' Holden. Hence, the division between the two supporter base was always quite wide, parochial, and passionate.

I did have a soft spot for the Valiant Charger which was a 2 door Valiant and was produced in limited numbers in the form of the E34. Tripple Webber carbs on a the Hemi straight six.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

anything with a slant 6 flaots my boat.

Ah yes, but as Mitch mentions above the Aussies developed their own Hemi-6 which was upright and a bruiser. I'd really like to see some of their cars in 1/25th plastic kits.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

different philosphy on those two. i liked the slant for the

423,000 miles i put on one. it lasted through 2 1/2 bodies with one ring and valve job.

An Oz company that might eventually help...

and the Mad Max inspired

Here's a few diecast models of the Charger and the Ford Cobra and GTHO.... the latter a real beast.

?mode=view&MerchandiseID=7780
?mode=view&MerchandiseID=12156 Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

Thanks for the leads, Mitch.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Haha - now you know how it felt from this end...

RobG (the Aussie one) (Who won't miss any more posts - I've bitten the bullet and joined Google...)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Mitch, When I was younger (and sillier), a mate of mine had a Centura with an E49 spec 265 in it... talk about a blast! And I've got a soft spot for Chargers, too - they always looked looked less bulky than Falcon Coupes - but I'd still love a 2dr XC with 351 Cleveland, Top Loader,

9" diff and a BIG Holley to feed it all... Maybe next year!

RobG (the Aussie > > >

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Hehe, I wish you luck in finding one.. Yeah, loved those Chargers with the huge doors and whale tail.... Used to sit out the front as a kid and do the "hey Charger" peace sign thingy.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch