question for Auto Locksmiths

I found out something today from three GM Dealerships that we have been getting key codes from for years. They say that their GM tracking program now requires them to put in the Owners Name, License Plate Number and for them to check the Registration. They said they also have to check a picture ID. They are no longer allowed to get codes for anyone without the Registered Owners information.

This means that we can no longer get Codes for other Car Dealers or Car lots, because they are NOT registered GM Cars and Trucks

Have any of you heard of this ? I am wondering if companies like Key Codes Express will be able to give GM Codes now. (if the codes are for GM's that are owned by Dealers or Car Lots?)

any comments are welcome

Reply to
Key

those 'regs' been in place a while actually.. now-does that stop you from getting a code?? depends on the dealer..

for INSTANCE, the local Chrysler dealer will not give a code out to ANYONE.. but, its the dealerships OWNERS rule.. so what does the locksmith that programs the Chrysler keys do? calls the 800 number..

ROADSIDE changed their rule last year? MUST BE the owner etc and they be available to the phone to get the code and even THEN, they will not give it over the phone, but will call the locksmith's business number.. then I also heard NO CODES AT ALL.. so we got to do it the hard way..the price just went up.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

This means that we can no longer get Codes for other Car Dealers or Car lots, because they are NOT registered GM Cars and Trucks.

If the dealer has the registration, then he/she is the owner. I am sure they have another form for this, too.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

according to the three GM dealers that I talked to, they must now inter a license plate number to even retrieve a code from their tracks system.

I know that. GM is the only one in question at this time.

know that too.

yea, the price just went up...

Reply to
Key

according to the three GM dealers that I talked to, they must now inter a license plate number to even retrieve a code from GM's tracks system.

I believe policies, as we knew them, are changing..

Reply to
Key

question.. curiosity.. WHO is now doing Roadside service FOR GM? --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

up date... went to my local dealer.. and the software REQUIRES owner name, etc, plus a tag number.. I asked what about cars on THEIR lot new? it will NOT allow an exception..so they have to 'fake a tag' number, just so the system will proceed

so, I do not see how anyone outside GM will be able to get a code..this is going to prove interesting in the long run.. gonna be a lot of unhappy people suddenly..

I also told him a 'funny' about making keys for a car, a 'glitch in the system, so to speak.. and he had NOT thought of that- he wasnt happy knowing it either..

GM is wanting to put 'responsibility' onto the car dealer and off their back for 'allowing keys without proper authority.' I believe..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Cross Country Motor Club

Key

You are exactly correct Shiva..

Below is the response I received from Key Code Express on the subject.

From: "Key Codes Express Inc" snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net To: Key ---snipped--- Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 7:16 AM Subject: Re: ??? / Please Respond

Like ya said earlier. "the price just went up"

Reply to
Key

cute.. dont think they got anyone around here..oh well, more unhappy GM customers. especially with winter coming on.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Laurie????-hm.

Thanks Key!!!!

Reply to
goma865
Reply to
Floyd and Wanda Tucker

AAA here called once.. $15 to deliver a key, INCLUDING a VAT key, to anywhere within 15 miles, 24/7... I laughed --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

in article JMslf.41664$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com, 'Key at snipped-for-privacy@Ya.Net wrote on 12/6/05 9:36 PM:

in article JMslf.41664$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com, 'Key at snipped-for-privacy@Ya.Net wrote on 12/6/05 9:36 PM:

I would have to disagree, because AAA rates are different around the country based upon the club you provide for, and are not the always the cheapest. We have been with both for over 15 years, and have been more than pleased with AAA. We get close to our regular rates, but make up for the difference with quantity. We also get checks every two weeks. I am also sure that CCMC rates vary across the country as well.

AAA and GM came to blows when AAA found that they were losing money on each GM call, and tried to up what they were getting paid. GM was only about 3%

- 5% of AAA's call volume. GM would not pony up the extra money, so they parted company. CCMC picked up the contract, and conveniently cut the key generation part, and started sending all the unlocks to the tow community, even though GM preferred locksmiths for unlocks. Go figure ... :-)

We STILL get GM calls direct from GM every so once in a while for keys, as we have been a registered provider for them for over 15 years.

CCMC, on the other hand , does pay a little better at times, but the call volume is terrible. Mainly because Chrysler no longer pays for key generations under their warranty/roadside plan, as they used to years ago. We still get key generations, but few and far between. Again, CCMC went to towers for unlocks.

CCMC also does not pay for key generations for GM products. Now that they have botched the key code situation even more so than before. They only pay for the service call out, and be it regular - VATS - transponder, the rest falls upon the customer. SOME of their roadside they handle, customer gets assistance with key generations.

I would have to check CCMC's new provider rules to make sure, but I am pretty sure that they are as above for keys and unlocks.

Best regards ..

MC

Reply to
M.C. Merritt

1 winter here, guy called, was locked out of his car.. had called AAA 3 HOURS earlier.. to the local AAA provider it was a low priority call.. was another hour before they showed.. --Shiva--
Reply to
--Shiva--

I can't count the times we were called because AAA hasn't showed up. that was told to me by the lockout customers.

Reply to
Key