Unlocking old Victor floor safe

I recently inherited a Victor floor safe. It has a combination dial; no handle. I have the combination but nothing seems to work. I recall my father saying start with 5 turns to the right. Beyond that I don't remember. The combination is 4 numbers.

The safe measures 28" high X 18" X 18". Probably made in the late

1800's.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
caudlewr

turn 5 COMPLETE times to the right.. stop at first number turn LEFT, stopping when the second number comes up the 4TH TIME

turn right, stopping when the third number comes up the THIRD TIME.

turn LEFT, stopping when the 4th number comes up the SECOND TIME.

turn right to open.

dial SLOW.. dont 'give it a flip/spin,

if that does NOT work, add 1 number to each number of the combo..

if your numbers were 10, 20, 30, 40 (EXAMPLE ONLY) then try 11, 21, 31, 41 then add another number..dial again

12, 22, 32, 42

still no go, SUBTRACT 1 number..

9, 19, 29, 39

then try 8, 18, 28, 38

once YOU GET IT OPEN, if it DID not WORK ON THE NUMBERS YOU WERE GIVEN, leve it open, and GET A SAFEMAN/locksmith capable person to look/check/lube it as needed BEFORE you shut it again.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Very good point!

I'll add this.... (for those bent on doing it themselves)

A few words of caution about lubricating a safe lock...

1) There are parts of a safe lock - moving parts - that DO NOT get lubricated. Cleaned? Yes. But not libricated. Lubricating things like "flies" (for example) can be disastrous once the lubricant dries and stiffens up over time.

2) A little bit goes a long way. I remember an instructor saying "If you can see it, you used too much."

3) There are special lubricants that are to be used in combination locks. 3 in 1 Oil, grease, and WD-40 aren't them.
Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

Reply to
caudlewr